What's new

What's your favorite part of "wild" finds??

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I was thinking: I believe the thrill of the hunt is my favorite part of vintage razor rescue. What do some of you enjoy about it?

Kindly,
Adam

For me, it's the regrets. A couple weeks ago I went into an antique store and passed on a BUNCH of Gillettes because they would have been duplicates to what I already had. They wanted $10 a piece for them. By the time I got home I was kicking myself for not buying them all - one of them even had a case I needed. :(

KeenDogg

When I clean it up and see what I actually bought.

Adam
I love that part too!
For me, it's the regrets. A couple weeks ago I went into an antique store and passed on a BUNCH of Gillettes because they would have been duplicates to what I already had. They wanted $10 a piece for them. By the time I got home I was kicking myself for not buying them all - one of them even had a case I needed. :(
I do that sometimes myself....
Just go back there (now). ;)

Adam

I also sometimes do this too!!!! Hahaha!

I love when a good find cements a day trip into my memory.

I've had a few of these, but my best razor memory is when my wife found a complete, cased Apollo Mikron set for $40 while hunting on our honeymoon. The razor will probably never leave my possession, nor will I ever forget hearing my wife say "have you heard of an Apollo?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I love when a good find cements a day trip into my memory.

I've had a few of these, but my best razor memory is when my wife found a complete, cased Apollo Mikron set for $40 while hunting on our honeymoon. The razor will probably never leave my possession, nor will I ever forget hearing my wife say "have you heard of an Apollo?"

A also love the memory of the find. Every safety razor, straight razor and especially natural honing stones have the memory of the find and putting back to use.

Just looking and finding out that isnt crazy over priced. I have not found to much in the wild, I just got 1 in store. I find most of mine on offerup as a local sale.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
When I find an absolute steal, I love the casually pulling out my wallet scene where I'm trying to complete the transaction with a straight face and without trembling.

R

romsitsa

When I find an absolute steal, I love the casually pulling out my wallet scene where I'm trying to complete the transaction with a straight face and without trembling.

Yes. Once asked how much for a cased razor, seller told me 3 USD, but I'll also get the mirror stand with brush a lather bowl.

Adam

proxy.php

The hunt is definitely fun for me. But I hate a dry run. Gotta find something to keep up my interest. I buy pretty much anything if it is $10 or less.

KeenDogg

Doug, that was me when I found my toggle.

My most memorable time was about a year ago . I asked the guy behind the counter if he had any razors, he said I just got these in and handed me a shoe box. It had about 5 razors under some other stuff, one on the bottom looked like an executive, but it wasn't. There was a string wrapped around all of them with a tag that said $2.00 on it. Jokingly I said, 2 dollars for all of these? He said, no I couldn't do that, after a short pause he said I'll take 2 each. I left with 2 Slims, a BB, a lady Gillette, a Toggle, and a brush for $12 plus tax. I almost wrecked a couple of times going through the bag on the way home.

Then there was the time I found the $10 Bulldog and the time I found the $7 Barbasol.

For me, it's a rush that makes this hobby very addictive.

What's my favourite part of 'wild' 'finds'?

Hoping that ONE DAY I will beat that guy who was ALWAYS in the shop the week before and brought all their razors ...

R

romsitsa

I almost wrecked a couple of times going through the bag on the way home.

True story. When we go to look around and find a razor, my better half always packs it away till we get home as I managed drop some...

Adam

Yeah, that's me! I had to get one of the store clerks to unlock a case for me, so I could check out a superb looking Toggle, and trying to put forth my best poker face. That day, was just awesome in general. It was our 25th wedding anniversary, and my lovely wife wanted to go antiquing! Then I find the Toggle. Then, in the next store, I find a '46/'47 Arisocrat and a '22 NEW Improved Tuckaway, each for $14. Those kind of days really stick out!!!

Top Bottom