What's new

What's with this body wash?

Real soaps don't dry out the skin. Commercial soaps dry out the skin. Try an artisanal soap like one from Mystic Waters, Mama Bear, Queen Charlotte, or Chagrin Valley and you'll see what I mean.

[+1]

i still can't get over the fact an educated wet-shaver would be using irish spring! irish spring = Springs1 dining.

v.

p.s. kingfisher: your PIF DRH rose cream sample went out in the mail today, with a couple of sampler AS balms.

That reminds of the scene in Seinfeld where Elain said she was tired of shaking bottles (juice or snapples, dont remember), and then Jerry shakes the bottle and sarcastically says: " ...this is killing me...."

I was reminded of that Seinfeld episode as soon as I saw this thread.

I like bar soaps, but body washes work, too. Floris makes a nice body wash - I like their Limes wash.

The negative with body washes is that they're not really antibacterial soap. They're just diluted detergents with amped-up fragrances. They clean skin, but they don't necessarily do much for bacteria.

The negative with bar soap is that it leaves scum around the shower/tub. My house has a '70s fiberglass shower/tub that's an odd dark blue color. Bar soap residue shows up as white stains all over the place. Body wash doesn't do that - it leaves no trace.

The thing about bar soap, though, is that it's far classier, better for skin, and I think it's more cost-effective. Also, the fragrances tend to be better. I've done a comparison between Irish Spring bar soap and Irish Spring body wash, and the bar soap is much different, a fresher, cleaner smell. The body wash is an altogether different, not as good scent.

http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/

I used to like the body wash, especially since we have hard water and it's hard to get a good lather from the soaps, but after joining B&B, I went out to TJ Maxx and got a nice boar bath brush and some bars of Italian lavender soap and have happily switched back to bar soap.

I find that I also like the Yardley's Oatmeal and Almond soap bars I picked up cheap at Big Lots, and since it smells a bit like Cella, I gave a bar to my youngest daughter and she's no longer begging to lather her face with my Cella shave soap.

Well, I know our troops like it, so I buy if for them and send it along with cigars and other goodies. I imagine it's easier to use and is more aromatic than bar soaps for the massive sweat the boys work up in the sandboxes!

That 'squeeky clean' feeling you get from soap is actually your skin being stripped of it's needed oils.
Body washes and higher-end soaps leave you feeling hydrated and healthy, but if you've never experienced it that might seem "greasy".

That 'squeeky clean' feeling you get from soap is actually your skin being stripped of it's needed oils.
Body washes and higher-end soaps leave you feeling hydrated and healthy, but if you've never experienced it that might seem "greasy".
Same reason I don't like soft water, or soaps like "Zest"

My skin has plenty of it's own natural "needed oils" thank you.
At 48, I still get acne and blackheads. SOME parts are dry enough to need moisturizer, but normally it's only an issue if I get too much sun.

No, that squeeky clean feeling is soap scum on your skin, caused by hard water. You do not get this feeling when you have soft water.

Washes use detergents to clean, and therefore do not build up soap scum.

I'm not saying one is better or worse, but it is NOT because the skin is being stripped of it's oils more by one than the other.

In fact, SLS (the main petroleum-based detergent in most body washes) has the ability to strip far more oils from the skin than any natural soap.

i read some of this thread and found it hilarious. this subforum is always great entertainment value

but anyway, i'm not a fan of body washes. it's like the shower analogue of canned goo. or maybe not. showering isn't such a performance-critical activity that it really matters what product you use; almost anything will get you clean. just comes down to preference, which for me is a nice bar of soap. well made soap will moisturize the skin rather than dry it out, which is the main reason people give for not wanting to use soap.

but i think i prefer the elegance of simplicity that is usually present in "old things", and a bar of soap fits into that, just like a quality shaving soap

I find that it's actually more work to use a liquid for body washing. You have to a) pick up the bottle b) open it unless it's already open c) turn it over and vigorously shake the bottle to get the product to come out d) put the bottle down and e) figure out how to apply it (those nylon net things - what a PITA). As far as I'm concerned, they over-produce lather, and it's hard to gauge how much product is too much - which means you usually use too much.

Observe what happens with a bar of quality soap: pick up soap, apply to wet washcloth, scrub, repeat. In a pinch, or if you prefer, you can even dispense with the washcloth - nothing wrong with your hand, if that's your druthers. IMO, liquid bodywash is absolutely worthless.

What nonsense is this...haven't you seen the bottles with the squeaky dispensers? All you need to do is press ont he top of the bottle and it squirts into your palm. Then apply.

Soap bars are just bacteria collectors. I'm surprised we're even having this discussion in 2011.

but i think i prefer the elegance of simplicity that is usually present in "old things", and a bar of soap fits into that, just like a quality shaving soap

some "elegantly simple" things of yore have evolved for a very good reason. A soap bar collects bacteria from the previous days when you rubbed it on your dirty body and that stuff just collects and festers. Body washes are separate from your body and every time you know you're getting something that's only been in a bottle. Anyway, suit yourself.

And no, not all soaps and bodywashes are as equal as you suggest. There's a WORLD of difference between your local store's Olay as compared to a beading bath gel from Peter Thomas Roth. People who have skin issues such as oily pores know the difference..

some "elegantly simple" things of yore have evolved for a very good reason. A soap bar collects bacteria from the previous days when you rubbed it on your dirty body and that stuff just collects and festers.

i have never, ever experienced or heard of a bacterial health issue related to bar soap in my life. i suspect they exist, but so do accidents involving walking to the corner store. pushing your logic to an extreme involves living in a bubble. the aesthetic, ergonomic and cultural/traditional advantages of bar soap seem massive to me.

let me add to this how just about all body washes come in plastic dispensers. plastics contain very dangerous toxins and release them in abundance. have a look here:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/addicted-plastic/

v.

Additionally, "some "elegantly simple" things of yore have evolved for a very good reason." could also be said of the demise of the straightrazor, the SE, the DE, the injector, and even the Trak-II.

i have never, ever experienced or heard of a bacterial health issue related to bar soap in my life. i suspect they exist, but so do accidents involving walking to the corner store. pushing your logic to an extreme involves living in a bubble. the aesthetic, ergonomic and cultural/traditional advantages of bar soap seem massive to me.

let me add to this how just about all body washes come in plastic dispensers. plastics contain very dangerous toxins and release them in abundance. have a look here:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/addicted-plastic/

* aesthetic - subjective, glad you like it, i don't find anything aesthetically pleasing in a soggy bar dried up with some remnant hair on it

* ergonomic - how? most soap bars become easier to handle when they're melted past day 10. on day 2, most are unweildy and slippery. sure, habit can cure it, but liquids are just plain easier to handle from day 1 to their end. also, from the perspective of anatomy, it's much easier to reach my hands anywhere they can go with the liquid right on them, much better than reaching there with my hands but also a bulky bar clinging tight amid my fingers and palm....so ergonomically a bar is a a pathetic alternative

* cultural - not sure what you mean. perhaps nostalgia? traditionalism? by all means use a chisel and stone if that makes you happy.

* plastics - almost everything is plastic. your fridge is too. compared to the bacteria festering in the open on half-soggy soap bar, i'll take the "dangerous secretion" of plastic any day. and because URLs are so easy to share, here's another: http://snipurl.com/plastic_myths

hope you do use your own bar soap -- it's an okay thing for single folk...

I recently switched to bar soap not for any of the reasons listed here. The reason I switched is SWMBO has taken up all the shelves with her bottles. So I picked up some CO Bigelow mentha bar soap at B&BW. I really like it nice cooling sensation like the shave cream.

so basically you have no source for your assertion that bars of soap are bacteria-laden and dangerous, then

<mod edit>

for me, it's a largely aesthetic issue. like i said, i like the elegance of simplicity. it's like the old computer programming principle: create a tool that does one thing and does it well. i have always appreciated the fact that sometimes, a low-tech item can get a job done just as efficiently (or in some cases more efficiently) than a high-tech one, and there is beauty in it. people will always have a drive to create new things, to modernize... but sometimes the old tools worked perfectly fine, just like with DE razors.

i'm not at all opposed to advancement, but if one asserts that bar soap is unsafe, as i've said, i'm going to need to see some evidence for that before i believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Gents, please keep the conversation on topic. Jumping at each other isn't achieving anything.

Body Wash. I don't really get dirty. I don't do dirty things. I hate getting dirty. I wear latex gloves when I change my oil (partly also because I work in food service. Oil and engine grime take a couple days to fully get off my hands) or do work on my car.

So: anything is going to get me clean. I'm confident I could just scrub down with a wet cloth and get clean. 98% of the time, I use soap for scent. My scent of choice is Old Spice Pure Sport. Doesn't come in soap. No big deal. No need to get angry. Body Wash isn't traditional. Some of us buck tradition.

Also, I'm a sucker for genius marketing. And Old Spice has a genius marketing team. It's not just the commercials and ads that have a sense of humour. The entire brand has a sense of humour. I appreciate that. I appreciate that with my dolla' bill$ homie.

Unless you keep your soap absolutely filthy, I doubt it's going to be a biohazard. The worst you'll probably get is just a nasty mess. Keep it clean and dry, use a soap saver instead of letting it turn to mush in a wet soap dish.

Top Bottom