What's new

What's Up with the Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip....?

I have 4 razors:

Gillette Fatboy adjustable
Gillette Slim adjustable
Edwin Jagger 89
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip

I get good results with all of them, but I used to change razors
every time it was time to change the blade, but lately I've been alternating between
one or the other depending on what strikes my fancy on that day. The SS Flare Tip has always been my
travel razor b/c I have the plastic case to match, but I've used it the last couple of mornings with a brand
new blade (Derby Extra is what I'm using lately) and had excellent results. Makes me wonder what's up
with this razor? I usually use the Adjustables set on #5. Is the SS slightly MORE or LESS aggressive??

I have 3 Techs, prewar triangle slots fat handle, 1955 and 56 ball end. 3 Super Speeds, 40's style, 1956 and a 64 flare and a 1959 Fatboy. I like them all and get great shaves with them. I use the 64 flare exclusively any more. No matter the blade or soap I don't have to think about the process I just shave and get excellent results. Maybe its just this razor fits me. The only obvious thing I see is that the dome on the head is not as high as the others. I am thinking this gives it a different blade angle than the others. I'm shaving cheap like dad did, Super Speed and Barbasol. Happy New Year !

I have 4 razors:

Gillette Fatboy adjustable
Gillette Slim adjustable
Edwin Jagger 89
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip

I get good results with all of them, but I used to change razors
every time it was time to change the blade, but lately I've been alternating between
one or the other depending on what strikes my fancy on that day. The SS Flare Tip has always been my
travel razor b/c I have the plastic case to match, but I've used it the last couple of mornings with a brand
new blade (Derby Extra is what I'm using lately) and had excellent results. Makes me wonder what's up
with this razor? I usually use the Adjustables set on #5. Is the SS slightly MORE or LESS aggressive??
The flare tip is an excellent razor of medium aggression.

The "Fatboy" has a larger domed head. Gillette changed their head design in the early to mid 60's to a smaller dome. I have a first year "Flare Tip" and while a fine shaver I much prefer a "ball end" Tech.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Agreed, I find the flare tip an effortless, smooth shaver. It is easy to manoeuvre compared to the Fat Boy which I find a clumsy sledge hammer by comparison. The FB head is just too big and for me, adjustables are a waste of time as I never change the setting. I have sold my FB but kept my slim which I think is far superior but it is rarely used and may also be moved on.

Agreed, I find the flare tip an effortless, smooth shaver. It is easy to manoeuvre compared to the Fat Boy which I find a clumsy sledge hammer by comparison. The FB head is just too big and for me, adjustables are a waste of time as I never change the setting. I have sold my FB but kept my slim which I think is far superior but it is rarely used and may also be moved on.

+1! The flare tip is a terrific shaver! :thumbup: :thumbup:

My experience is similar; once I figure out ‘my’ setting with an adjustable, then that is where it stays.

I think a Super Speed is pretty comparable to an adjustable on 5. I like to turn my adjustables down to around 3. I find them just as efficient and a little more comfortable down there but that's just my personal preference. That's the only reason I prefer an adjustable over the Super Speed. If you like your adjustables set to mid range like most people probably do, a Super Speed will shave just as well.

Count me as another fan of the flare tip Super Speed. Of the US made vintage Gillette razors (and I have tried most of them), the humble Super Speed is my all-around favorite. I always know exactly what I will get with a flare tip shave: smooth, easy, no drama. Perfect, no-brainer blade alignment, every time. And, it seems to work with just about any blade. In post-war America, the Super Speed really was the every-man's razor. It's a great thing that Gillette made and sold many millions of them, a good many of which are still around.

Count me as another fan of the flare tip Super Speed. Of the US made vintage Gillette razors (and I have tried most of them), the humble Super Speed is my all-around favorite. I always know exactly what I will get with a flare tip shave: smooth, easy, no drama. Perfect, no-brainer blade alignment, every time. And, it seems to work with just about any blade. In post-war America, the Super Speed really was the every-man's razor. It's a great thing that Gillette made and sold many millions of them, a good many of which are still around.
This Super Speed was also my dad's, which makes it all the more worthwhile to me! Guess I'll have to remove it from my travel kit and put it in my regular rotation!

Another fan here. I like it when threads like this pop up. I haven't used any of my super speeds in months. I have a new Nacet in my 1950 (stamped V3) Milord ready for tomorrow morning.

While we're praising the Super Speed, let's also consider it in the context of today's razor market: solid brass, very precise build, high quality plating, and shaves beautifully to boot. And all this for generally less than $30, sometimes a lot less if you get lucky. In today's proliferation of designer razors costing three figures and up, the Super Speed is a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, I love that there are so many beautiful, high quality razors available today, but as good as they are, I'll always have a Super Speed in the rotation.

While we're praising the Super Speed, let's also consider it in the context of today's razor market: solid brass, very precise build, high quality plating, and shaves beautifully to boot. And all this for generally less than $30, sometimes a lot less if you get lucky. In today's proliferation of designer razors costing three figures and up, the Super Speed is a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, I love that there are so many beautiful, high quality razors available today, but as good as they are, I'll always have a Super Speed in the rotation.

Great points!! SS are excellent razors IMO, especially at the price!! :a14: :a14:

During my first two months of RAD, I acquired a 1960 SS Flair Tip. It wasn’t sexy as my other acquisitions, so I put of shaving with it. A few months after its acquisition, I finally decided to give it a try. When I was finished, I couldn’t believe how smooth and efficient this razor was. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but nope…it wasn’t. Every shave with it has been great! So great, I picked up it’s cousin, the British SS Flair Tip, and use that one as my traveler. I’m always confused where should I rank this razor among the others I have. It’s definitely in my top 10.

Here's an ad for the 40s SS; with the case and 10 blades, it was $1. This ad touts the "new" Blue Blade dispenser, so I'm guessing this was early 1950s or so. According to the inflation calculator, $1 in 1950 equals $10.67 in 2019 dollars. I have a 1970 Black Handle SS original package that came with 2 Platinum Plus blades; it was also $1. So by 1970, the SS had deflated to $6.63 in today's dollars. There really isn't anything comparable to the SS in production today, but if there were, somehow I don't think it would be priced at $10. Maybe ten or fifteen times that for comparable materials, precision and build quality.

40s_super_speed.jpg

My favorite superspeed is the Red Tip. I may have to revisit the plain silver one. I have a pretty complete superspeed collection but never use them.

Top Bottom