What's new

What’s Up With Aqua Velva Musk?

I’m in the 2023 sabbatical, so I’m not looking to buy anything this year. However, I’ve had a couple of bottles of Aqua Velva musk in my shopping cart for the longest while, but Amazon has informed me that it’s no longer available.

Out of curiosity, I searched to see what other sellers might have Aqua Velva musk and I found that it’s only being sold in bulk (3 or more bottles per purchase). After doing a general internet search, prices for a single bottle have tripled compared to the old $3.50 per bottle price.

What’s going on with Aqua Velva musk? Has it been discontinued and sellers are just looking to cash in? Is it inflation or a shortage of raw materials to make the product? Possibly it just me as it might be too early in the morning for my brain to function properly.

I picked up a bottle at a local drugstore for $5 CAD. While I am sure it has been reformulated several times over the years it still smells great and the value was great. Amazon Canada still shows it as available but it is quite expensive so maybe it is discontinued?

I’m in the 2023 sabbatical, so I’m not looking to buy anything this year. However, I’ve had a couple of bottles of Aqua Velva musk in my shopping cart for the longest while, but Amazon has informed me that it’s no longer available.

Out of curiosity, I searched to see what other sellers might have Aqua Velva musk and I found that it’s only being sold in bulk (3 or more bottles per purchase). After doing a general internet search, prices for a single bottle have tripled compared to the old $3.50 per bottle price.

What’s going on with Aqua Velva musk? Has it been discontinued and sellers are just looking to cash in? Is it inflation or a shortage of raw materials to make the product? Possibly it just me as it might be too early in the morning for my brain to function properly.
The local Walmart (central Nebraska) had at least ten bottles of AV Musk today, priced at $3.17.

There's plenty on the shelf at my local Walmart. It's no longer allowed in my den, however. 😁
I get it that it’s a somewhat polarizing scent, but I absolutely love it!

I had to stop into my local Walmart today and I passed by the shaving aisle. They had just one bottle on the shelf and it was priced at $3.17.

Maybe the Amazon sellers are just being greedy.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

I had to stop into my local Walmart today and I passed by the shaving aisle. They had just one bottle on the shelf and it was priced at $3.17.

Oh, I wish I could wear it, my friend, but the lovely GF doesn't like it at all. :)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It has been years, but I used to mix two parts Pinaud Clubman Vanilla and one part Aqua Velva Musk and the result came reasonably close to JB Williams' 'Mon Triomphe,' a favorite of mine from the 1970s.

Shoot, I hope it's not discontinued! AV Musk is one of my favorites. Guess I'll have to secure a couple of bottles for posterity.

I have two unopened bottles in my den and another one that is in use and half full. Due to my rotation of aftershaves, I’ll be able to stretch this out in the event Aqua Velva musk has been discontinued.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

I thought I read about the world wide shortage of musk. 🤪😝
The bulk sales must be an AI algorithm profit maximization thing. I see that with deodorant. Super expensive online and usually sold in bulk of say 3. Until I got out to a B&M store to determine prices were as I expected. Other items I find at great prices with often same day free shipping I find it baffling.

I still see it in stores, so I don't think there's a shortage anywhere. Unfortunately AV Musk is the only aftershave I threw out when I was packing up the bathroom in preparation to renovate. For me, it's not a bad scent, just a little too loud, strong and long lasting for my tastes, and I always felt self conscious when wearing it on work days. Maybe it's the After Shave-Cologne aspect as it's even more scent forward and lasting than the Veg, or maybe it's the large stopper opening that dispenses way too much in your hand than other bottles like Old Spice.

I like this one but it is pretty loud, and I have to admit makes me self-conscious if I use it on a day I didn't expect to be in close quarters with people. It feels like something appropriate for use before spending the day working underneath a '60s muscle car.

I still see it in stores, so I don't think there's a shortage anywhere. Unfortunately AV Musk is the only aftershave I threw out when I was packing up the bathroom in preparation to renovate. For me, it's not a bad scent, just a little too loud, strong and long lasting for my tastes, and I always felt self conscious when wearing it on work days. Maybe it's the After Shave-Cologne aspect as it's even more scent forward and lasting than the Veg, or maybe it's the large stopper opening that dispenses way too much in your hand than other bottles like Old Spice.
When I first tried it many years ago, I totally thought it smelled like a mix of AV Ice Blue and Jovan Musk. I can see why they may have done that as both are iconic scents. But with time it became its own thing. I agree with the strength comments! And if it gets warm while you’re wearing it, fugettabouttit..

I think we may underestimate how mentions on a forum like this may influence sales and/or pricing.

Different scents for different people. I get that, but I do love AV musk. It’s one of the few aftershaves that last more than 10 minutes. I will not use it when going to the dentist, or commuting on a crowded train or bus (I never realized how much people stink till I started riding the NYC subways), but I do use it at least twice a week.

I have checked the local Walmart, CVS and Target by me out of curiosity, and there was none to be found on their shelves. Maybe it’s a regional issue.

Top Bottom