What's new

Heads Up, Aquavelva Musk and Barbersol Brisk AS Fans

Thought about trying Aqua Velva Musk AS, and went to buy some at a Dollar General. There I found it marked "Clearance: 10% Off." A couple of bottles away, the same sticker was on the price of Barbersol Brisk. That didn't bode well, and when I checked out, I asked the cashier if Dollar General is discontinuing those aftershaves.

"I don't know, but usually when they do that, they are," she said.

Note that this might be just this one Dollar General, and even if they discontinue carrying it, it doesn't mean that Aqua Velva Musk and Barbarsol Brisk is being discontinued by their companies. But while I've seen Aqua Velva Musk in another store (and at a higher price), locally I haven't seen Barbersol Brisk anywhere but Dollar General stores.

If Dollar General is your source for these two aftershaves, you might want to check out your local store to see if it's marked for clearance there, too.

They're both listed 50% off online. Barbasol Brisk is 78 cents and AV Musk is $1.46. For sure they're being dropped by DG.

I have a local grocery store chain that carries Barbasol Brisk

Meh, I found the Brisk to be irritating after using it a while. Not so with Skin Bracer. I've found both pleasant enough scent wise.

I understand a lot of guys seem to like the Brisk better for whatever reason. I hope it's continued for those guys.

Chris

Is Brisk much like PR? I love PR...

Brisk isn't like Pacific Rush, it's a Skin Bracer-type scent. I liked the fact that it is really cheap, and have two bottles in the house for use in the summer, but I'm not married to it. If I happen to find myself in the neighborhood of one of the DGs that has it in stock while it's still around I'll pick up a third. But I have a lot of other summer aftershaves and can use those just as easily or get Skin Bracer.

Brisk isn't like Pacific Rush, it's a Skin Bracer-type scent. I liked the fact that it is really cheap, and have two bottles in the house for use in the summer, but I'm not married to it. If I happen to find myself in the neighborhood of one of the DGs that has it in stock while it's still around I'll pick up a third. But I have a lot of other summer aftershaves and can use those just as easily or get Skin Bracer.

Thanks! I do like Skin Bracer too, I may have to go check the local $1 store.

Thought about trying Aqua Velva Musk AS, and went to buy some at a Dollar General. There I found it marked "Clearance: 10% Off." A couple of bottles away, the same sticker was on the price of Barbersol Brisk. That didn't bode well, and when I checked out, I asked the cashier if Dollar General is discontinuing those aftershaves.

"I don't know, but usually when they do that, they are," she said.

Note that this might be just this one Dollar General, and even if they discontinue carrying it, it doesn't mean that Aqua Velva Musk and Barbarsol Brisk is being discontinued by their companies. But while I've seen Aqua Velva Musk in another store (and at a higher price), locally I haven't seen Barbersol Brisk anywhere but Dollar General stores.

If Dollar General is your source for these two aftershaves, you might want to check out your local store to see if it's marked for clearance there, too.
Fellow B&Bers, just stop by your local Walmart for the Aqua Velva Musk. They sell plenty of it. Don't think it is going away anytime soon. As for the Barbasol Brisk, move on to Mennen Skin Bracer. The two are very similar, and Walmart sells the Skin Bracer 7 ounce for under five bucks. Likely retailers see more movement in Skin Bracer, which doomed the Barbasol. I just retired after four decades in retail, and recent consumer purchasing trends are harming the store brand/knockoff items in numerous categories, and likely why you can't find Vijon Spice and Barbasol Brisk these days. The consumer is opting for the name brand in this instance.

Unfortunately, what's carried at one Walmart isn't necessarily carried at another. While I haven't checked for AV Musk, I do know a local one only had Brut Splash-On and not the AS. It did eventually carry the AS, but whether or not it still does is an open question. Just as you could at one time count on finding VDH Deluxe or Luxury shaving soap, and I noticed it was gone at the local one last week.

With the exception of our local Walmart, stores don't stock what doesn't sell, but that's neither here nor there. Just as I only use Brisk when I have face irritation, because the fragrance of both it and Skin Bracer reminds me of Malathion. That said, Brisk is different than Skin Bracer, has more menthol, and has those who like it. If, like me, they've only found it at their DG, I wanted to give them a heads up.

While at my local Walmart Express a couple of weeks ago, they had the AV Musk and Adidas Dynamic Pulse marked Clearance. I grabbed their last 3 bottles of AV Musk at $1.50 each, along with their last bottle of Adidas.

I hope this doesn't mean AV Musk is being discontinued altogether!

While at my local Walmart Express a couple of weeks ago, they had the AV Musk and Adidas Dynamic Pulse marked Clearance. I grabbed their last 3 bottles of AV Musk at $1.50 each, along with their last bottle of Adidas.

I hope this doesn't mean AV Musk is being discontinued altogether!
Again, I doubt if AV Musk is going away. But at some stores it could be gone for good. In my town, I can think of seven stores that stock it. Perhaps it is a regional thing. The missus works for Wallyworld, and watches over the personal care area. I mentioned AV Musk to her, she said it sold well and would be surprised if it became unavailable. The stuff is cheap enough it won't ruin anyone's budget to pick up a few bottles if you are concerned about getting some. Barbasol Brisk is available on numerous online sites. At least it can still be purchased, but it's a pain sometimes to buy online. Anyway, keep on shavin' and smellin' awesome!

Update:

Checked another DG yesterday, and it hasn't put AV Musk or Brisk on clearance yet. Will keep watch to see if they do.

Update:

Checked another DG yesterday, and it hasn't put AV Musk or Brisk on clearance yet. Will keep watch to see if they do.

Neither one is on sale online anymore either. They're back to full price.

I wonder if somebody screwed up and the store decided not to discontinue them.

FWIW...

I love Barbasol Brisk, and to my nose & brain it reminds me of a cross between Aqua Velva Blue and Skin Bracer. After reading this thread, I thought I'd give it a try this morning.

It didn't turn out too badly, and it indeed reminds me of Barbasol Brisk. I accidentally got more AV in my hand than I wanted (but not excessive), but I'll try it again with a different ratio.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone wants to try. Of course, as always, YMMV depending on body chemistry and all that.

I was able to score a bottle of pac rush on eBay for a reasonable price.

It smells just as good as I remember.

It has a nice menthol punch I don’t remember.

It also has more staying power than I remember.

Dang. This really is as good as I remember. I wonder what happened at barbasol. Maybe the scent oil price increased. Or nobody was buying it. Heck, I remember hearing pacific rush ads on the radio.

There was another generic AS that was far a better brisk than either Mennen & Barbasol IMO. It was called Men's Choice Brisk AS, but alas the lab that made it went bankrupt. Some still available on the Internet however.

I get my AV Musk and Brut from Bed Bath and Beyond & Walmart, respectively. Neither stores show any indication that either said product is being discontinued. I sure hope not, I love the both of them!

Top Bottom