What's new

What's the concensus on aluminum razors and potential health risks?

I have been using Mocha Pots (to make coffee) for 20+ yrs....those are aluminium..... currently using # 5 (older ones look weird inside: rust??)

The pill I take for acid reflux has an Alz link......

The pill for cholesterol...Alz link.....

And by now.......I forgot what I wanted to say :letterk1:..................

Gonna guess the razor has little to do w it?

I'm actually more worried about the aluminum in the alum blocks we use.. I read an article once about the possible dangers.. But I haven't been able to find the article or study or whatever it was.. I also found some information contradicting the dangers..This was ages ago..
An alum block is made of potassium alum, a salt mineral. Antiperspirants contain aluminum chloride, the harmful chemical. Alum does not.

According to the National Library of Medicine,
Aluminum potassium sulfate - https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Aluminum-potassium-sulfate

"Potassium alum is considered by the FDA as a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) substance. It is an inorganic salt, also called potassium aluminum sulfate"

And it is not absorbed through the skin:

Absorption
Potassium alum is found in its dodecahydrate form that produces a very large molecule. This large molecule cannot be absorbed through the skin when this substance is included as an astringent agent in topical OTC. If ingested, the aluminum salts are rapidly solubilized in the stomach and then they can generate aluminum hydroxide or poorly absorbed basic aluminum salts.

Well that went sideways quickly.

Like @gpjoe mentioned aluminum razors are anodised so no actual aluminum to skin contact.

That said my Grandparents used a lot of aluminum cookwear all of there lives...at least the time in Canada. They lived into there 90's and were uncomfortably at times in there right minds.

Be nice guys
Jay

You could easily reduce yourself to a nervous wreck worrying about all that stuff. But even the link between raw aluminium cookware and alzheimer's has essentially been debunked, and even then an anodised or coated aluminium razor isn't going to do anything. Then again: nickel plating can be allergenic, lot's of free machining brass alloys still have lead in them, there's teflon on pretty much all stainless DE blades (lot's of the health and environmental risks of teflon are when heated and during the production)
If you are really concerned you could use a carbon steel straight razor.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I also have aluminum espresso cups, though lately I prefer stoneware. Some heat leaking outwards is not that bad as it feels nice.

Almost everything is now considered bad for people.. I mean I know California even says turkey may cause cancer and that S*x is bad for people now !!!! I tend to disagree with a lot of these studies due to the fact that a lot of studies are on lab animals and the doses given to those creatures are extremely unlikely to be consumed at such a high rate by humans.. I mean giving an animal a dose of something that's about equivalent to their whole body size is not something I think any of us would probably do . I mean I like turkey but I'm not about to eat my bodyweight of it in one sitting !! So I think a lot of these studies today are not realistic.... Anyway our ancestors did a lot of the same things we do and ate a lot of the same things we do also and it didn't do all that harm to them that we are being warned about today..

Well
Even outside the USA it is known that a lot of things are known to be harmful in the state of California. I hope drinking tap water in moderate amounts is still possible.
remember water is one of the most destructive things there is.. Put metal to water and it will eat it away with rust and what not, and it can also erode a rock or even a mountain .... Put a small amount constantly running over a mountain and water will eat through it and make a valley.... But at the same time water will sustain life !! So I guess things can be both safe AND deadly at the same time....

Best advice I can give here is to grow a beard. Like it was mentioned before, life on Earth is a dangerous thing, and the proof is that none of us make it alive.
Grow a beard and be safe.

Bad advice above, alert. Please be aware, growing a beard is not safe. Apparently too many accidents caused by beards getting stuck, caught into things and so on. Not to mention that power tools and beards don't mix well.

Ok, ok, now for real, the best, my very best, advice would be to contact your medical health provider if you desire to talk about the issue. Rule #14.

Last edited:
I took my foil hat off long enough to reply ;)

KEEP THAT FOIL HAT HANDY AT ALL TIMES!!!!

Ssssssshhhhhhh….. A little secret. THEY (Aliens & more importantly humans that show no logical thought & cognitive ability for reasoning) can read our minds.

103FF03B-A854-41D3-A602-738414A85688.gif

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If there’s anything to worry about, it’s global warming

I thought human contributions to stuff like that was supposed to be from burning hydrocarbons and generalized pollution.

Now it includes using aluminum safety razors?!

I can see the next Ralph Nader monograph now… “Aluminum Razors: Unsuper At Any Speed”

Top Bottom