What's new

What's the big deal?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I like it better because it's cheaper my way, LOL! I guess I like mine better because I fart around with it to make it to suit me. I drink my coffee BLACK. I really like the Dunkin'Donuts medium blend made strong. In my drip Mr Coffee 4 cup thing I use a mesh? filter and since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house I can make it how I want. And I'm a retired person now, so I have time to kill.

I start the drip process without the pot under it, let it go a few minutes to let the grounds get wet, and turn it off for a few minutes. Then I turn it back on and it turns out awesome! I may have a TINY bit of sludge in the bottom of the cup, but really not bad.

I am now officially a coffee snob. I love Dunkin'Donuts at home so much it's just not worth it to me to try other stuff and be disappointed. And yes, I am trying hard to not go down the "home roasted rabbit hole!"
A word of caution from someone who has gone down the coffee rabbit hole: be very cautious.

You will wind up with thousands of dollars worth of gear. The worst part is, it all works so darned well!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A word of caution from someone who has gone down the coffee rabbit hole: be very cautious.

You will wind up with thousands of dollars worth of gear. The worst part is, it all works so darned well!

I have no doubt that I WON'T do that. My lovely War Department has me on a short leash.

And beside the fact that I'd be lost without her, I am also very intelligent. I fear her right down to the molecular level! She coulda worked for the German SS!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Has anyone tried Wahlburgers? I've never been to one of their restaurants, but my wife bought a 4 pack of their brisket burgers when they were on sale at meijers a few months ago that grilled up nicely and tasted pretty good.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Has anyone tried Wahlburgers? I've never been to one of their restaurants, but my wife bought a 4 pack of their brisket burgers when they were on sale at meijers a few months ago that grilled up nicely and tasted pretty good.
Once the weather is warm in Michigan I plan to go to the one about 20ish minutes from my house. It opened during the first Covid go 'round, or just before it. My cousin met one of the brothers there. He said they were good burgers.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I keep hearing Paul Wahlberg's harsh Dorchester accent:
"This uzz ah story
ah famlee
an' ah burguzz."

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have Aaron's book.

Well, technically all the books you have are Aaron's books. So that doesn't narrow it down much.

Many years ago I used to go to a little literal hole in the wall in Brookings, SD for a good old fashioned burger.

Near where I grew up there was a little hole-in-the-wall burger joint run by a Chinese immigrant. Tiny little nothing of a building, you walk up to the window and tell him what you want and he cooks it for you. Not even a "drive through" as you park and walk up. Great burgers. He did that for 50+ years!

She pulled down her rhinestone encrusted cat-eye glasses, harrumphed at me, and said, "I'll bring you one with everything and you just pick off what you don't want."

1614363587176.png

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Was driving by late, didn't look too crazy so I gave it a shot. Went inside and was ordering in 15 minutes. Pretty darn good burger I will admit but not earthshattering. The fries on the other hand... wow... those were awful. Doesn't anyone notice this?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Was driving by late, didn't look too crazy so I gave it a shot. Went inside and was ordering in 15 minutes. Pretty darn good burger I will admit but not earthshattering. The fries on the other hand... wow... those were awful. Doesn't anyone notice this?
Did you get them animal style? If not there's your problem!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Did you get them animal style? If not there's your problem!

Ummmm... no. I don't think covering that culinary monstrosity with their "secret menu" mumbo jumbo would make that right.

I am still very hunkered down for COVID but am in Austin as my signature says..."right here in ATx." I hate lines and my choices for BBQ would be Valentina's or La Barbecue. I miss it when Aaron Franklin had a truck on I-35 at 290. Same BBQ but no lines! If you crave great BBQ just get his book. He explains exactly how he does it!
I’m coming back out to Austin next weekend to visit my brother, can’t wait to get lots of bbq even if it means waiting in lines (have had all the ones you’ve mentioned, so good).

I remember having P.Terry’s a handful of years ago while I was out there and thinking that it was as as good if not better than In-N-Out. And I-N-O has gotten notably more expensive the last year or two (at least here in SoCal), to where I feel like the value of what you’re getting is not as high.

With that being said, I do still love me a double double animal style. But the fries are crap, always have been and there’s no way around it. Hiding them under an animal style order is no excuse, sorry gents!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Waiting 14 hours for a meal would mean you may need to pack a meal or two for while you wait. Some how that just does not work for me, no matter how good something is.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I’m coming back out to Austin next weekend to visit my brother, can’t wait to get lots of bbq even if it means waiting in lines (have had all the ones you’ve mentioned, so good).

I remember having P.Terry’s a handful of years ago while I was out there and thinking that it was as as good if not better than In-N-Out. And I-N-O has gotten notably more expensive the last year or two (at least here in SoCal), to where I feel like the value of what you’re getting is not as high.

With that being said, I do still love me a double double animal style. But the fries are crap, always have been and there’s no way around it. Hiding them under an animal style order is no excuse, sorry gents!
I am less a fan of the fries than I once was, but I recall fondly living in SoCal in the 1960s and watching them towel off each fresh batch of fries on a clean white towel plucked from a stack. They came out hot and crisp and were delicious. I do not find the current In-N-Out fries all that different from P. Terry's. That said, I think there are other local spots in Austin with better burgers. But the "best burger" discussion or even the "better burger" discussion rarely gets traction any more because there are such varied approaches to making burgers. Since you mentioned SoCal I do pine for a chili burger from Tommy's. Sigh.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Mighty Fines is a good burger. For Texas BBQ try Franklin's, The Salt Lick or Valentines in Southwest Austin.

Top Bottom