What's new

What's the big deal?

The answer to your question is...social media. People wanna post that they’ve been there. Google Americas best burger and see what happened to a little mom n pop in Oregon

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If cross a street to eat at a Shake Shack, even if I were standing next to a Five Guys or an In-and-Out.

The best, ever, was the Shake Shack that was right next to the hotel in Kansas that also had the Tesla Supercharger. We stopped there on the way to Denver.

I spent the night there on the way home.

The answer to your question is...social media. People wanna post that they’ve been there. Google Americas best burger and see what happened to a little mom n pop in Oregon

In-N-Out has had a massive cult following in CA for decades. Maybe social media has helped speed that up lately, but it's not the core cause.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When adequate, average Canadian coffee-&-doughnut chain Tim Horton's opened its first shop in Scotland, people queued for hours ... even overnight ... to get in. (Mind you, the first guy in got a year's supply of free coffee, so I can sort of understand him ... but the rest???)

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'm loving the Shake Shack lovers. We have had about the same amount of SS's open up in the area in the same time frame as IaOs. Nobody has been waiting too long for Shake Shack...

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If cross a street to eat at a Shake Shack, even if I were standing next to a Five Guys or an In-and-Out.

The best, ever, was the Shake Shack that was right next to the hotel in Kansas that also had the Tesla Supercharger. We stopped there on the way to Denver.

I spent the night there on the way home.
you slept in a Shake Shack??

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It’s a good honest burger. Not much on the menu but they are good at what they do. I wouldn’t wait 14 hours though. I like old school burger and steak joints. Holes in the wall, mom and pop places. In and out is sort of that style as a chain.

Saturday I went fishing and when we were about to leave my buddy said he was thinking of stopping for a burger. He did a quick search and 2 miles away was Bobs Giant Burgers. Hole in the wall. Owner has or helps in a horse rescue? anyway, good people we ordered a double giant burger. It hit the spot. as much as I like In and Out Burger. Mom and pop places are sometimes real gems.

View attachment 1227638
Amen. I had possibly the best meal of my life (please don't tell my wife or mom!) at an Amish family restaurant in lower Michigan at the Indiana border. Food served family style. Slow roasted beef, and green beans with pearl onions that I would gladly order for my last meal when the hangman is gettin' his rope ready!

FarmerTan

When adequate, average Canadian coffee-&-doughnut chain Tim Horton's opened its first shop in Scotland, people queued for hours ... even overnight ... to get in. (Mind you, the first guy in got a year's supply of free coffee, so I can sort of understand him ... but the rest???)

I might wait 15 MINUTES for a Dunkin'Donuts coffee, but doubtful. I buy the DD at Sam's Club and brew it at home. I make it better than they can! And for some reason all of the Tim Hortons around me haven't had the best coffee in the last 10 years or so, sadly.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I might wait 15 MINUTES for a Dunkin'Donuts coffee, but doubtful. I buy the DD at Sam's Club and brew it at home. I make it better than they can! And for some reason all of the Tim Hortons around me haven't had the best coffee in the last 10 years or so, sadly.
Tangential, I know, but how do you brew it better than Dunkin'? Their Original Blend is one of my favorites.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Now your talking nirvana. If you’re from Texas... which, I think you are, we could meet up. If ya set a date friends from New Zealand and Singapore would show up. First class is cheap right now.
I am still very hunkered down for COVID but am in Austin as my signature says..."right here in ATx." I hate lines and my choices for BBQ would be Valentina's or La Barbecue. I miss it when Aaron Franklin had a truck on I-35 at 290. Same BBQ but no lines! If you crave great BBQ just get his book. He explains exactly how he does it!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am still very hunkered down for COVID but am in Austin as my signature says..."right here in ATx." I hate lines and my choices for BBQ would be Valentina's or La Barbecue. I miss it when Aaron Franklin had a truck on I-35 at 290. Same BBQ but no lines! If you crave great BBQ just get his book. He explains exactly how he does it!
I have Aaron's book. Valentina's is pretty darn good...close to my house. Haven't been to La Barbecue so I'll be searching for it.

...don't mind a line if it's Q.

FarmerTan

Tangential, I know, but how do you brew it better than Dunkin'? Their Original Blend is one of my favorites.
I like it better because it's cheaper my way, LOL! I guess I like mine better because I fart around with it to make it to suit me. I drink my coffee BLACK. I really like the Dunkin'Donuts medium blend made strong. In my drip Mr Coffee 4 cup thing I use a mesh? filter and since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house I can make it how I want. And I'm a retired person now, so I have time to kill.

I start the drip process without the pot under it, let it go a few minutes to let the grounds get wet, and turn it off for a few minutes. Then I turn it back on and it turns out awesome! I may have a TINY bit of sludge in the bottom of the cup, but really not bad.

I am now officially a coffee snob. I love Dunkin'Donuts at home so much it's just not worth it to me to try other stuff and be disappointed. And yes, I am trying hard to not go down the "home roasted rabbit hole!"

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have Aaron's book. Valentina's is pretty darn good...close to my house. Haven't been to La Barbecue so I'll be searching for it.

...don't mind a line if it's Q.
Aaron needs to sell espresso in his line. He used to work at Little City. I think that back on the subject of In-N-Out, an espresso cart for any of these big line openings would be awesome.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Wow. Many years ago I used to go to a little literal hole in the wall in Brookings, SD for a good old fashioned burger. I was a poor grad student at the time. It was a popular spot for the locals: counter eats only, and they'd slap a square of waxed paper down in front of you and ask, "What's on 'em?" Mustard, onion and pickle for me! I could get through three burgers and a couple cups of coffee and get back to work in a jiffy.

A few years later a buddy and I stopped at the Last Chance Fill'em Up and Keep On Truckin' Cafe on the Beebeetown Highway in western Iowa. CW McCall fans will recognize that place! I think we interrupted the waitress in the middle of do-it-yourself hemmorhoid surgery; she didn't look too happy to see a couple bikers lean their choppers in the parking lot. Ordered a burger and asked for mustard, onion and pickle.

She pulled down her rhinestone encrusted cat-eye glasses, harrumphed at me, and said, "I'll bring you one with everything and you just pick off what you don't want." Thought my buddy was gonna kill himself laughing. He had the hot turkey sandwich special as I recall.

O.H.

Just had our third In-N-Out Burger open up here in lovely Colorado. Peeps waited over 14 hours, I repeat FOURTEEN hours when the first one opened. Traffic was impacted by the newest addition. I ate their food last time I was in LA and it was... fine? But it was still a bloody fast food burger and fries. Someone splain to me why in the world 🌎 this restaurant is so amazing. I can make a burger fit for the Gods in a tenth of the time in my own kitchen. Doubt me? Let me know when you're visiting.
Let me see, marijuana is legal in Colorado, weed heads crave junk food. Could there be a correlation?

Top Bottom