What's new

What's that smell...the guy with too much aftershave

A aftershave isn't strong, so the scent will never last whole day.
The following are fragrance levels from strongest to weakest:
  • ea de perfume
  • ea de toilette
  • ea de cologne
  • after shave
Old Spice Eau De Toilette is cheap where I live, you can get glass bottles Old Spice Original from eBay.
I would combine that with witch hazel, scentless balm or Old Spice after shave.
I personally don't buy eau de colognes unless I have no chose.
I found eau de toilette can get you to smell all night when going out, or a whole work day.
A cologne is simply weaker, and eau de toilette's are often not that much more expensive.
Also try other manly eau de toilette's like Tabac.
Enjoy!

Since we're being nerdy :biggrin1:, technically the highest concentration is 'perfume', followed by 'eau de parfum'.

Sometimes you have to play the used car salesman to the hilt, just to be aware of knowing the point of reference.
Splash on some Ice Blue Aqua Velva to make that statement... and don't forget the metallic striped tie.

after years of trial and error, I've found what products compliment each other and what do not. It's not rocket science. Proraso Shaving Cream + Aqua Velva Ice Blue = Good. Pinaud Lilac Veg + pretty much anything else = bad (I do enjoy it by itself).

You are right.
You will most likely not see it in regular shops though (perfume).
And even eau the perfume is usually sold for women.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
after years of trial and error, I've found what products compliment each other and what do not. It's not rocket science. Proraso Shaving Cream + Aqua Velva Ice Blue = Good. Pinaud Lilac Veg + pretty much anything else = bad (I do enjoy it by itself).

Truthfully, try the Veg with Tabac. It works.

Attachments

• $basset_hound_with_big_ears_flying_back.jpg
    $basset_hound_with_big_ears_flying_back.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 119
Myrsol Aqua De Limon is a great cooling aftershave with a lemon scent that at least on me fades in a few minutes,I usually follow it up with Feather Kanwa which is a very good aftershave balm,also it has no scent.

I'm a fan a after shaves that have a mild scent that only lasts a short while. I don't use them for the scent, although it nice when they smell good. I use them to make my face look and feel better after scraping it with a very sharp object.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't like to use two or more scented products at once. You never know what you are gonna smell like. One scented thing and every other thing unscented, is the way I go.

If I am going to wear cologne, I use an unscented balm after my shave. I have both Polo aftershave splash and Polo cologne; I use one or the other, never both - it would be far too over powering. No matter what the scent, I think using both AS and cologne would scream desperation and/or poor taste. And I would certainly never use a scented aftershave, no matter how lightly scented I thought it was, and a differently scented cologne. Never mix scents. For instance, I would never use Proraso, Old Spice, Aqua Velva, etc. aftershave and then apply Polo, Eau Sauvage, or Guerlain Vetiver. YOU may think they work together or compliment each other, but they don't. YOU may think that Proraso/AV/whatever is lighlty scented enough after the dry down that it would not interfere with your cologne, but most people who are important enough to get close enough may pick up on the conflicting scents.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I would never wear an AS and a Cologne. One or the other.
If I'm planning on wearing cologne, then I use witch hazel instead of AS.
My personal opinion is that "conflicting" or "complementary" scents when it comes to soap and AS is in the nose of the beholder, and since the smell of the soap is gone after you rinse your face, a moot point anyway.

Like so many things, it depends. If I'm using Clubman, SR or any other AS as strongly scented I don't use cologne/EdT. If I use a lightly scented (or one that matches) AS then I'll use a cologne or EdT. Keep in mind that I don't spray my cologne/EdT on. I apply a drop (?) to the back of my ears, throat and wrists.

Personally, I never use a cologne if I choose to use a heavily scented aftershave. Conversely, I never use a heavily scented aftershave if I want wear any cologne. Either way, a small simple amount of fragrance (no matter how bold or airy the smell) is key in any public setting. Too much scent can be offensive and put people off. A pleasant subtle scent typically draws people into you.

Perfect analysis.

I match my cologne to my balm (I dont need or use AS splashes)...I have unscented balm for those occasions when Im going scent commando.

Top Bottom