What's new

What's that smell...the guy with too much aftershave

Gents,
As force of habit I generally wear Burberry Brit or Polo Blue cologne. Per necessity, I use AS or AB, the problem I'm worried about is a cocktail of scents rising off of me that makes me smell like a used car salesmen. Would my best bet to be switch to an unscented balm or give up the cologne and go for something manly like Old Spice aftershave and hope it lasts through the day.

I'm a big fan of unscented products - namely face wash, moisturiser, deodorant, hair product, etc, and use as many as I can.

Most soap (shave and bath) scent wears off after 10 mins or so, so I don't worry too much about soaps.

I like to smell like the cologne I choose that day!

I hate it when my hair product interferes with my cologne....

I sometimes use A/S and forego the cologne (for days when I don't want to smell of much), or if I want to use cologne, skip the A/S.

Test your scents and see how they react and how long they last on you. Your body will react differently to each scent, and each person is different.

For example there are some AS that i only put on at night because the scent is too heavy to wear out. Clubman is one that immediately comes to mind. But Aqua Velva is very fleeting on me and I can apply it generously after a shave and 10-15 minutes later i'll be ready for a cologne without worrying about them conflicting.

An unscented balm is always a good thing to have around, IMO. The Gentlemen's Refinery makes a fantastic one. They'll send you a free sample if you ask nicely.

Generally I think you should be alright if you use a scented splash in moderation (a small splash in the hand and then on the face, just enough to coat it nicely), and apply a cologne properly and sparingly. When applying your cologne, a dab behind each ear and one at the bottom of the neck should be adequate. There are a couple of threads around here if you do a search on the best ways to apply cologne.

Ideally, no one should be able to smell your A/S or cologne unless they are right up next to you. I think one of the big problems with some of the more inexpensive aftershaves is that they project a little more than some people realize. And if it's something that you use every day, you can get accustomed to the scent and not realize that you're blowing up everyone's spot. To this day, I can't stand the smell of Aqua Velva because it's SO over-applied by so many people.

Funny post! I've wondered the same thing.

Me: "Man, I love the smell of this Musgo...and it lasts all day!"

Gal next to me: "OMG, this dude smells like an old man in church...."

Ok, I totally bogarted the quote, but you get the drift of the post...

I'm a big fan of unscented products - namely face wash, moisturiser, deodorant, hair product, etc, and use as many as I can.

Most soap (shave and bath) scent wears off after 10 mins or so, so I don't worry too much about soaps.

I like to smell like the cologne I choose that day!

I hate it when my hair product interferes with my cologne....

I sometimes use A/S and forego the cologne (for days when I don't want to smell of much), or if I want to use cologne, skip the A/S.

I dol ike nicely scented A/S balms, but you are right, unscented A/S balms and moisturizer are great as they won't clash with your cologne/EDT

Plus, scented moisturizes generally smell a bit girly:blushing:

Personally, I never use a cologne if I choose to use a heavily scented aftershave. Conversely, I never use a heavily scented aftershave if I want wear any cologne. Either way, a small simple amount of fragrance (no matter how bold or airy the smell) is key in any public setting. Too much scent can be offensive and put people off. A pleasant subtle scent typically draws people into you.

Side note. I find after a cold water rinse and alum will drown out if not erase almost any fragrance of a soap/cream I used. That goes for T&H and Trumper's brand as well. Penhaligon's, I've noticed will still find its way through.

There are some days when going forth smelling like a toxic brew of over-applied cheap drugstore scents that is an affront to the nostrils of humanity perfectly matches my mood.

Not often, but some days.

If I'm worried about a combo of scents, I just run 'em past the wife. If she hates it, I make a note to avoid that combo in the future...unless she tells me that it makes me smell like laundry staging room in a fly by night nursing home, then I figure there might be a way to weaponize it.

I personally hate a scent-clash. I've also found that I really don't like balms and prefer splashes, so I tend to use Old Spice Whitewater when I don't have a matching AS/Cologne. The Whitewater works well, and it smells nice for about 15 seconds, then it totally disappears leaving me to wear whatever frag I want.
Seeing as how you like Polo Blue, I think you'd enjoy the scent of the Whitewater - pretty similar in my opinion.

I rarely wear cologne as it tends to project too much and invade other's space. I like to mix less intense products and my girlfriend always says I smell good when she is up close. I typically use Kouros Cologne Sport deodorant for the pits, Nivea aftershave balm on the face, Clubman talc for the body, followed by Groom and Clean on the hair. It serves me well on a daily basis and offends nobody (I think).

Just remember-

Just because you can't smell it, doesn't mean others can't either.

I'm just sayin'...

A aftershave isn't strong, so the scent will never last whole day.
The following are fragrance levels from strongest to weakest:
  • ea de perfume
  • ea de toilette
  • ea de cologne
  • after shave
Old Spice Eau De Toilette is cheap where I live, you can get glass bottles Old Spice Original from eBay.
I would combine that with witch hazel, scentless balm or Old Spice after shave.
I personally don't buy eau de colognes unless I have no chose.
I found eau de toilette can get you to smell all night when going out, or a whole work day.
A cologne is simply weaker, and eau de toilette's are often not that much more expensive.
Also try other manly eau de toilette's like Tabac.
Enjoy!

Funny post! I've wondered the same thing.

Me: "Man, I love the smell of this Musgo...and it lasts all day!"

Gal next to me: "OMG, this dude smells like an old man in church...."

Ok, I totally bogarted the quote, but you get the drift of the post...

From The Heiress; her father, from across the room:
"Excellent bay rum Morris."

Top Bottom