What's new

What's in your pocket today?

Got the Visconti Van Gogh out and I’m using a Diamine Imperial Purple cart in it today.

Attachments

• IMG_9315.jpeg
    IMG_9315.jpeg
    976 KB · Views: 4

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I usually stick to having 3 fountain pens inked, but brought a 4th pen into play last night. After seeing a Parker 45 for sale, I inked up the one I have, to remind myself what I like and don't like about it. Diamine Majestic Purple was used.

The ergonomics are fantastic. Such a smooth writer too, and the nib assembly is great for maintenance. That clutch cap still really puts me about though. If it had a positive click, I'd almost certainly buy more, but as it stands my Parker IMs will remain my most frequent users, and the 45 will just be occasional use.

I usually stick to having 3 fountain pens inked, but brought a 4th pen into play last night. After seeing a Parker 45 for sale, I inked up the one I have, to remind myself what I like and don't like about it. Diamine Majestic Purple was used.

The ergonomics are fantastic. Such a smooth writer too, and the nib assembly is great for maintenance. That clutch cap still really puts me about though. If it had a positive click, I'd almost certainly buy more, but as it stands my Parker IMs will remain my most frequent users, and the 45 will just be occasional use.
I own 2 45's and one of them the clutch cap was in terrible shape till I dug it out with needle nose and replaced the piece. The other one had nib problems that I had to order a replacement for. Now both pens work fine. It takes me forever to go through ink though and I have three inked at the moment that I like better. Maybe next time.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I own 2 45's and one of them the clutch cap was in terrible shape till I dug it out with needle nose and replaced the piece. The other one had nib problems that I had to order a replacement for. Now both pens work fine. It takes me forever to go through ink though and I have three inked at the moment that I like better. Maybe next time.

The clutch cap has worn the section on mine a little, which doesn't help matters. I still prefer a nice satisfying click when the cap seats, to let me know it is home safe.

20240528_223125.jpg

I do like the ergonomics of the long section though. The only other pens I have with a long smooth section are two Ohto Tasche (shown below it). The Tasche do have a positive cap retention, and although the section is a little slender, I trust it more than the 45.

As for my other pens, they all have fairly similar (to each other) ergonomics, which I am quite happy with.

20240528_223149.jpg

From the top:

Baoer 388 (Modelled after the Sonnet, I think. I use one and have several spares)
Parker IM (I currently have 4, and use them all)
Parker Jotter (I only have this one)
Helix Oxford (I use 3, plus have a spare)

All metal bodies. All trustable caps. The ergonomics fit my hand well for the most part, though the Jotter is a little too slender for extended writing. It's fine for contrast work with red ink though. These, to me, are what a pen should feel like in hand.

So I decided not to nab that other 45 Flighter. For day to day writing, I am much happier with the pens in the second pic, for the reasons shared. I do like using the Tasche pens occasionally too, but it's not too long before I drift back to the Baoer, Helix, and IM. Occasionally, very occasionally, I will ink up this cheap Wing Sung demonstrator, which is the only threaded section pen I have handled, which I can use for more than a line or two without the threads infuriating me.

20240528_225223.jpg

Again, it's never long before I return to the "safety" of my metal bodied pens, and I don't risk using the demonstrators if I know I'm having a bad brain day (more clumsy than normal).

The clutch cap has worn the section on mine a little, which doesn't help matters. I still prefer a nice satisfying click when the cap seats, to let me know it is home safe.

View attachment 1853700

I do like the ergonomics of the long section though. The only other pens I have with a long smooth section are two Ohto Tasche (shown below it). The Tasche do have a positive cap retention, and although the section is a little slender, I trust it more than the 45.

As for my other pens, they all have fairly similar (to each other) ergonomics, which I am quite happy with.

View attachment 1853699

From the top:

Baoer 388 (Modelled after the Sonnet, I think. I use one and have several spares)
Parker IM (I currently have 4, and use them all)
Parker Jotter (I only have this one)
Helix Oxford (I use 3, plus have a spare)

All metal bodies. All trustable caps. The ergonomics fit my hand well for the most part, though the Jotter is a little too slender for extended writing. It's fine for contrast work with red ink though. These, to me, are what a pen should feel like in hand.

So I decided not to nab that other 45 Flighter. For day to day writing, I am much happier with the pens in the second pic, for the reasons shared. I do like using the Tasche pens occasionally too, but it's not too long before I drift back to the Baoer, Helix, and IM. Occasionally, very occasionally, I will ink up this cheap Wing Sung demonstrator, which is the only threaded section pen I have handled, which I can use for more than a line or two without the threads infuriating me.

View attachment 1853705

Again, it's never long before I return to the "safety" of my metal bodied pens, and I don't risk using the demonstrators if I know I'm having a bad brain day (more clumsy than normal).

I have three threaded vintage Sheaffers, otherwise everything is slip caps. All of them fit quite well and are secure. I have four Parker Flighters, the 45’s, a 51, and a 61. The 51’s can be pricy but there are a lot of good clones. Personally one of my favorite pens is the 61 that can be cheaper a lot less apt of needing anything. A couple runs through an ultrasonic at worst to clean out old ink, or just soak it in water. i haven’t handled many modern fountain pens. Only a Lamy 2000, and, my first that could have been a Pentel or something of that nature. Someone that normally sells ballpoints. I have admired your IM’s but I would like to handle one first, and, I have some pens in need of work first. Not everything is metal bodied, but, I carry a pen coozie with my ballpoint and my fountain pen for the day along with a pocket notepad that acts as further stability to the pens. Frankly that is more practical than that notepad is for taking notes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have admired your IM’s but I would like to handle one first,

Don't stray too far out of your way to get one if you like vintage pens. They're not an enthusiasts pen. Snap on cap, smallish nib, heavier laquered brass barrel and cap, hard as nails nib, Chinese made, and a rather unassuming and utilitarian profile.

For me, that's exactly what I want from a pen. Comfortable, functional, affordable, reliable. Whack some ink in, and it just works. I'm not someone who wants line variation, or shading, etc. However, for anyone who likes those things, or who calls handwriting "penmanship" :p the IM could quite easily be a soulless disappointment.

Don't stray too far out of your way to get one if you like vintage pens. They're not an enthusiasts pen. Snap on cap, smallish nib, heavier laquered brass barrel and cap, hard as nails nib, Chinese made, and a rather unassuming and utilitarian profile.

For me, that's exactly what I want from a pen. Comfortable, functional, affordable, reliable. Whack some ink in, and it just works. I'm not someone who wants line variation, or shading, etc. However, for anyone who likes those things, or who calls handwriting "penmanship" :p the IM could quite easily be a soulless disappointment.
I think I have scratched my Vintage itch. 6 out of 11 have been leaky on delivery, add to that my Parker 45 woes for 2 more. Of those I haven't over spent, and, expected it. My only two modern pens are both Lamy 2000's. So far the only other pens that have interested me are the Hero 600 series Parker 51 knockoffs that come in multi-packs. For 7 dollars it seems like a safe chance. The IM's seem sturdy and relatively attractive. As far as penmanship goes, if I can keep in the lines I am happy. I was more interested in the vintage filling systems than anything else.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I couldn't resist the urge to ink up the two new pens, so currently I have five fountain pens inked.

Parker IM brushed stainless (M) - Diamine Damson
Parker IM dark espresso (F) - Diamine Macassar
Parker 45 Flighter (M) - Diamine Mediterranean Blue
Helix Oxford Stainless - Diamine Salamander
Helix Oxford Silver - Diamine Crimson

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Last year, I almost offloaded a load of inks, but life sent me and that friend in different directions. I now have another willing victim recipient to dump a load of stuff on, so I have been doing a lot of filling and flushing, to see what I want to gift or keep.

Right now, I have four Parker IMs inked with Diamine Ochre, Sherwood Green, Misty Blue, and Majestic Purple.

Bagged up to go, I have fifteen 30ml bottles, four packs of cartridges, and five pens.

Top Bottom