What's new

What's in your pocket today?

Pelikan M805 Engraved Demonstrator fountain pen 18K-F nib/Sailor Four Seasons Souten fountain pen ink
IMGP7408.JPG

I hadn't used one of my Pilot Petit1s for quite a long time, so I stuck one of the special blue-black mini cartridges in this one. Quite a decent pen. I have so many "good starter pens" lying around mostly unused.

And the other pen is my one Parker Vacumatic. One of my nicest pens to write with, vintage or modern.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77103607@N00/

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Pilot Vanishing Point, broad nib, clip removed, with Sailor Jentle Doyou.
Montblanc Noblesse, Sailor Jentle Yama-dori.

I keep on toying with the idea of getting a VP, but I always end up talking myself into getting something else. I was unaware of the clip removal process until your post. I just read up on Richard Binder's method of clip removal. Did you do it yourself, and if so, did you find it to be challenging?

I keep on toying with the idea of getting a VP, but I always end up talking myself into getting something else. I was unaware of the clip removal process until your post. I just read up on Richard Binder's method of clip removal. Did you do it yourself, and if so, did you find it to be challenging?

I actually bought that VP body with clip removed from Richard Binder a number of years ago when he was still selling and customizing online. It originally had a fine nib in it, which is now in a Capless Decimo body. The nib from that pen is now in...well, suffice it to say that my Pilot Capless nibs have been shuffled around, but none are homeless.

I'm sure that procedure is perfectly simple for some people, but the use of a heat gun always raises danger signals for me personally, and I would hate to spend that much on a pen and then damage it. I recall reading here of at least one other B&B member who had done it successfully.

On the slimmer Capless Decimo, the clip at the "wrong" end doesn't bother me at all. On the VP I find it more comfortable to hold without, but the disadvantages are obvious. I have to carry it in pen roll in my laptop case, and it could roll off a table if I don't watch where I put it down.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I actually bought that VP body with clip removed from Richard Binder a number of years ago when he was still selling and customizing online. It originally had a fine nib in it, which is now in a Capless Decimo body. The nib from that pen is now in...well, suffice it to say that my Pilot Capless nibs have been shuffled around, but none are homeless.

I'm sure that procedure is perfectly simple for some people, but the use of a heat gun always raises danger signals for me personally, and I would hate to spend that much on a pen and then damage it. I recall reading here of at least one other B&B member who had done it successfully.

On the slimmer Capless Decimo, the clip at the "wrong" end doesn't bother me at all. On the VP I find it more comfortable to hold without, but the disadvantages are obvious. I have to carry it in pen roll in my laptop case, and it could roll off a table if I don't watch where I put it down.

The whole clip near the grip issue is one of the issues that have made me reluctant to get one. But, many people also aren't fond of the grips on Lamy Safaris, and I have no problem writing with, and holding, that pen. Either way, the VP is a great looking pen. Thanks, for the info!

Nice! Is that converted into an eyedropper, or does the body just colored so it's hard to see the converter?

Top Bottom