What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know you’re going the bacon route, but I love butternut this way.

Cut it in half length wise and scoop out the seeds. The put butter and brown sugar in the hole. Bake at 350 until soft. Then shred flesh with a fork and mix in butter and sugar mixture.
Any way you do butternut squash is good, but this is my favorite.

Just taking a lamb shank out of the oven.

Sauteed carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms, apples, everclear soaked blueberries. Orange marmelade and chokeberry mustard was rubbed on the shank, then seared and tossed in the veggies, wine and beef/chicken broth added, some flour and beet powder, rosemary and ginger. Oven for two hours, started at 350, and reduced to 275 for the last hour.

911DC47D-81E1-40FB-A4D8-3C6E864AF914.jpeg
B8F39CF6-9D89-40B9-8C67-568152359DD1.jpeg

Attachments

• C70A0A4B-60D8-4471-9FA9-8DA683B2CA12.jpeg
    C70A0A4B-60D8-4471-9FA9-8DA683B2CA12.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Slow day - Avocado, EVOO, Meyer lemon & Maldon flake. Gabrielle Hamilton suggestion but no pictures so...

file1-12_B&Bsize400.jpg
file-16_B&Bsize400.jpg

dave

Beef pies v2. I used a little more beer (Kilkenny) and Bordeaux, plus a 2-cup pack of beef stock. The beef and veg braised in a lot more liquid, then when I made the pie, I strained off the liquid and heated that through separately to thicken it. I added a spoon of horseradish - it could have done with more possibly. Mashed potatoes and parsnips and another side of sautéed broccoli with fennel.

When we were in France last month we went to this cheap housewares shop called ACTION! and my wife fell in love with this EUR5 pan, which was perfect for serving the sauce.
52596319_10158260023833275_3515710381391609856_o.jpg 52546714_10158260023823275_5846834427103019008_o.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Looks really good.

Ready for work Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.
Meatloaf, taters, and green beans!!
529AE290-F273-4D50-8625-93B560CDBC87.jpeg

Planned out the menus on Monday and then Wed.'s daily had a slightly different approach to one of the components so ran with that one.

Couple old favourites which we've not had in months... Butter Chicken with the new recipe, thigh chunks instead of breasts, marinated overnight then skewered and broiled before adding to the sauce, new one with ground toasted fenugreek for a twist.

Aloo Gobi plus this time, Matar (peas), we tweak this one on the go using what's in the house. Flavourings of whole toasted mustard seed & cumin, ginger, jalapeno, red pepper, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, coriander, chopped cilantro stem, honey... topped with cilantro and burst cherry tomatoes. Alway been hard timing the cooking of the cauliflower and potatoes together in one stew, balance of size and time is always screwy so this time parboiled potatoes 6-7 minutes and the cauliflower 2 minutes before going into the curry pot. Potatoes went in first to brown a bit then the cauliflower, all the rest of the stuff to finish and cooked to about as good as we've ever done.

White 'Tilda' basmati...

Naaan bread and paneer Samosa's from outside this kitchen...

Beverage - Tequila, jalapeno, lime Margarita because, well because... gag...

Dessert - store baked chocolate chip cookies because i love chocolate and these're sooo good.

Music - Burning Spear; Man in the Hills & Dry and Heavy
''''''''''''- Drive By Truckers; The Big To Do
''''''''''''- Viet Cong; Viet Cong
''''''''''''- David Bowie; The Next Day
''''''''''''- Edgar Breau (of the legendary Simply Saucer); patches of blue
''''''''''''- Melissa Etheridge; Memphis Rock and Soul

file2-10.jpeg
file3-9.jpeg
file1-13.jpeg
file4-9.jpeg
file6-7.jpeg
file8-6.jpeg
file5-9.jpeg
file-17.jpeg

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Planned out the menus on Monday and then Wed.'s daily had a slightly different approach to one of the components so ran with that one.

Couple old favourites which we've not had in months... Butter Chicken with the new recipe, thigh chunks instead of breasts, marinated overnight then skewered and broiled before adding to the sauce, new one with ground toasted fenugreek for a twist.

Aloo Gobi plus this time, Matar (peas), we tweak this one on the go using what's in the house. Flavourings of whole toasted mustard seed & cumin, ginger, jalapeno, red pepper, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, coriander, chopped cilantro stem, honey... topped with cilantro and burst cherry tomatoes. Alway been hard timing the cooking of the cauliflower and potatoes together in one stew, balance of size and time is always screwy so this time parboiled potatoes 6-7 minutes and the cauliflower 2 minutes before going into the curry pot. Potatoes went in first to brown a bit then the cauliflower, all the rest of the stuff to finish and cooked to about as good as we've ever done.

White 'Tilda' basmati...

Naaan bread and paneer Samosa's from outside this kitchen...

Beverage - Tequila, jalapeno, lime Margarita because, well because... gag...

Dessert - store baked chocolate chip cookies because i love chocolate and these're sooo good.

Music - Burning Spear; Man in the Hills & Dry and Heavy
''''''''''''- Drive By Truckers; The Big To Do
''''''''''''- Viet Cong; Viet Cong
''''''''''''- David Bowie; The Next Day
''''''''''''- Edgar Breau (of the legendary Simply Saucer); patches of blue
''''''''''''- Melissa Etheridge; Memphis Rock and Soul

View attachment 955993 View attachment 955994 View attachment 955995 View attachment 955996 View attachment 955997 View attachment 955998 View attachment 955999 View attachment 956000
dave
Looking great, Dave.

Good looking ruby Dave!

So I had some puff pastry left from yesterday's pies. Last time I made chicken pies but wasn't too keen to try them again so I dreamed up some vegetable pies. Cooked the chicken sous vide - I have also cooked two more for tomorrow night for use with salad - then made the pies. Sweated off diced onion, then added in diced carrot and celery, then after another few mins, diced mushrooms, garlic and some baby toms. A splash of chicken stock (i.e., a teaspoon of stock powder and some water), check seasoning and simmer for about 10 mins.

Roll out the pastry. I did originally think "pasty" but cut the pastry too small. Then realised I had enough left over so I loaded the veg mix onto the two discs of pastry and a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese. I placed another disc of pastry and crimped the edges together, egg washed all over and into a 200C oven for 20 mins.

I'd say "not bad" and it could almost work as a lunch with salad on a no-meat day if you felt so inclined.52591483_10158262711353275_6842705135362113536_o.jpg

Sunday breakfast for dinner. Steak & Eggs for the time of day when my stomach's ready...

file3-10.jpeg

Blade steak salted and air drying in the fridge since Thursday noon. Today a grilling salt of koshersalt/coriander/cayenne/oregano/porcinimushroompowder/sugar sprinkled on an hour before placing into a 250F oven 'til the temperature probe signaled 124F, maybe an hour, wasn't an overly thick steak. Rain/snow coming down outside with wind gust supposedly to 100k so no chimney sear today, seared stovetop in cast iron, basted with butter, fresh black pepper now... Wasabi/horseradish sauce.

Red potatoes parboiled for 10-15 minutes, cubed & fried in duck fat with rosemary, salt & pepper.

Mesclun salad with radish bits. Salad dressing of equal parts 30 second mayo, Greek yogurt, crumbled feta, then minced garlic clove, 1/2 lemon's juice, chopped cilantro - rich and delicious, as well great on the potatoes.

Six and a half minute soft boiled egg with chili salt.

Dessert - this afternoon's fresh from the oven rhubarb/blackberry/raspberry pie with Greek yogurt, my favourite, old news.

Beverage - tap water

Music - The 100 Best Jazz Tunes of the 1950's, 8cd's, all day listen...

file4-10.jpeg
file-18.jpeg
file6-8.jpeg
file2-11.jpeg
file5-10.jpeg

dave

Sunday breakfast for dinner. Steak & Eggs for the time of day when my stomach's ready...

View attachment 956339

Blade steak salted and air drying in the fridge since Thursday noon. Today a grilling salt of koshersalt/coriander/cayenne/oregano/porcinimushroompowder/sugar sprinkled on an hour before placing into a 250F oven 'til the temperature probe signaled 124F, maybe an hour, wasn't an overly thick steak. Rain/snow coming down outside with wind gust supposedly to 100k so no chimney sear today, seared stovetop in cast iron, basted with butter, fresh black pepper now... Wasabi/horseradish sauce.

Red potatoes parboiled for 10-15 minutes, cubed & fried in duck fat with rosemary, salt & pepper.

Mesclun salad with radish bits. Salad dressing of equal parts 30 second mayo, Greek yogurt, crumbled feta, then minced garlic clove, 1/2 lemon's juice, chopped cilantro - rich and delicious, as well great on the potatoes.

Dessert - this afternoon's fresh from the oven rhubarb/blackberry/raspberry pie with Greek yogurt, my favourite, old news.

Beverage - tap water

View attachment 956346 View attachment 956347 View attachment 956348 View attachment 956349 View attachment 956350
dave

It's unfortunate, or perhaps fortunate for you Dave, that Ontario is a heck of trek from here otherwise I would be over to eat you out of house and home!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

View attachment 956339

Beverage - tap water

View attachment 956346 View attachment 956347 View attachment 956348 View attachment 956349 View attachment 956350
dave
If I ever win the lottery, I’m going to try to hire you as full time chef.

Thanks BT & Owen! Looking forward to saying goodbye to northern winters, does one really need snow for anything outside of quick cooling the pot of stock and soft boiled eggs in the snow bank outside the kitchen door?
dave

Top Bottom