What's new

What's Cooking 2016

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I bought some prosciutto, heavy cream, and spaghetti to take care of some sweet peppers I have to finish up. Now, I just have to get off my duff.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Found these purple tomatoes at the Farmers Market. BLT time
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Noooooooooooooooooo, the best BLT is Bacon, Little more bacon and Topped off with bacon.
There is a lot of bacon there, and the tomatoes were really good. I could have chucked the lettuce, though. After years of hating tomatoes because of their bland taste, since finding good ones at the farmers market I look for excuses to eat tomatoes.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There is a lot of bacon there, and the tomatoes were really good. I could have chucked the lettuce, though. After years of hating tomatoes because of their bland taste, since finding good ones at the farmers market I look for excuses to eat tomatoes.
That is a nice tomato Owen. It looks like a Cherokee Purple. You don't know what your missing until you whipped up a fresh batch of salsa with homegrown tomatoes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That is a nice tomato Owen. It looks like a Cherokee Purple. You don't know what your missing until you whipped up a fresh batch of salsa with homegrown tomatoes.
I suspected it might be a CP, or at least in the family, especially when I cut it open. The picture is not good, but the seed distribution looks about right. It was very good.

I suspected it might be a CP, or at least in the family, especially when I cut it open. The picture is not good, but the seed distribution looks about right. It was very good.

Could be any of the many, many different purple shouldered tomatoes out there, we've tried growing probably half a dozen different ones including the Cherokee looking for a true black. The best of the bunch for us so far in taste, productivity and appearance is the Paul Robson. Indigo Rose for a black.

Off season we don't buy fresh tomatoes, once the ones we have from the backyard are done we wait for the next ones to ripen up next July. Just no flavour or juice or texture in an off season fruit.

Indigo Rose , look amazing, tough skin, mediocre flavour.

proxy.php
dave

Actually, in your defence, there is a decent amount there(!) We get tomatoes here but all imported from Europe or Australia and while they look red and shiny, they have no flavour whatsoever, but because they look red and shiny sandwich shops insist on putting them in the sarnies. Horrible things.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Actually, in your defence, there is a decent amount there(!) We get tomatoes here but all imported from Europe or Australia and while they look red and shiny, they have no flavour whatsoever, but because they look red and shiny sandwich shops insist on putting them in the sarnies. Horrible things.

Sounds like the typical tomato found in grocery stores. They are bred for looks, and have zero taste. That is why I like the farmer's market- they always have produce that blows the grocery chain stores away.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Lunch today. Its brined chicken breast then smoked using Memphis rub. It's on corn tortillas with Colby cheese and a homemade adobo sauce. Cilantro and diced habanero on top.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Sounds like the typical tomato found in grocery stores. They are bred for looks, and have zero taste. That is why I like the farmer's market- they always have produce that blows the grocery chain stores away.

I am not a huge fan of toms but when I am in France, and they are fresh, from within a few miles of where they are on sale, nothing better

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Tonight's (and the weekend's) Butternut Squash Soup with creme fraiche & Creme Fraiche with squash soup. Apples and garlic are also part of the equation here.dave

Do you make your own creme fraiche? It's the easiest thing in the world.

Yes, i mix 2tbsp plain live cultured yogurt into a 1c of 35% cream and let it sit out over night. Taste in the morning and into the fridge once it's deemed tangy enough.

dave

Spiced, Roasted Root Vegetable Tacos, Tomatillo Salsa, Lime/Cilantro Yogurt and Mexi-Can Beans.

Cubed Yukon Gold potatoes, parsnip, turnip and sweet potato coated with evoo, toasted cumin/coriander seeds, chili powder and paprika, oven roasted.

Tomatillo Salsa- charred tomatillos & unripe Hot Portugal peppers, garlic, onion and cilantro blender blitzed.

Lime juice, chopped cilantro and Greek yogurt dressing.

Pot of Mexi-Can Beans with feta

Maple Syrup Flan with Pomegranate

Royal City Brewing Co., Squash Sweet Potato Autumn Ale

Wilco, What's Your 20?dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I sautéed some sweet peppers, garlic, and prosciutto in olive oil and butter, then added heavy cream. Served over spaghetti
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Top Bottom