What's new

What's Cooking 2016

brucered

System Generated
Thanks Dave. Thai basil is not in my regular supermarket. However, I believe it may be available in Whole Foods.

...I just need to grow it.

We grow our own and use it on a lot of things. In fact, that's what is on my Lasagna above. It's in the garden as well as a small herb pot indoors.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Danish-Tex hot dogs and nachos tonight. The nachos are smoked pulled pork, cheese jalapeño.
$image.jpg$image.jpg

We grow our own and use it on a lot of things. In fact, that's what is on my Lasagna above. It's in the garden as well as a small herb pot indoors.

We've six plants in the ground out back now, started from seed a few months back. I've never noticed plants available for sale at the garden centers but then i've never been on the lookout either.

Aaron you should no problem pumping out a bumper crop down there in that modestly warmer clime. And beautiful plate!

dave

Hit plus 32 C (90 F) outside today so did oven fries because it just can't be hot enough inside the house.

Skin on Russet potato 'fries' soaked in water for 10 min then drained and dried. Coated with olive oil, salt, pepper, onion & garlic powders, cayenne pepper and a load of Hungarian Paprika.

The neighbourhood Halal butcher had T-Bones on for $3.99 lb so bought two small ones and picked up local asparagus at the farmer's market.

Aspapragus steamed but still crunchy, salt, pepper and butter.

Tried the reverse sear method for the first time, inside was very good but the sear failed as the inside temp was rising too fast during the sear so pulled them early to rest. They did taste extremely good with a pat of blue cheese/butter atop.
Been buying this in multiples, dave's house red, easy on the pocket book and so smooth and tasty... at least to the two of us. From S. Ontario, 2014 Pelee Island Baco Noir, support your local producers no matter where you are!

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Local wines are a big thing down here, beer and vodka too. Just as the artisan soaps are very popular so too wines.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm a big fan of Pelee Island Dave. I don't drink much these days but make the occasional exception. I've heard of a, new to me, butcher in Georgetown I want to try because it is definitely steak on the grill weather.

I'm a big fan of Pelee Island Dave. I don't drink much these days but make the occasional exception. I've heard of a, new to me, butcher in Georgetown I want to try because it is definitely steak on the grill weather.

It's nice being able to interact, get to know the person prepping/growing what you're going to cook, lots of tips and ideas, they set aside things for you, watch out for you. The butcher who used to have the Halal shop would never charge us for beef bones when we needed them for stock and soup, great!

We're not big drinkers either, if we open up a wine it's a Saturday night and it's not every Saturday night, most often a spur of the moment thing so it's handy to have a little stash on hand for those Saturdays.

dave

Grilled chicken wrap. Grilled chicken, roasted green and red peppers, spring onions and Capriny goat cheese.

Topped with commercial hot salsa, Greek yogurt, guacamole, cilantro and an extra hot Mexican hot sauce.dave

Thanks Aaron!

Felt presumptuous to call it a burrito as we are so far removed from Mexico and this was pretty much an ad-lib throw together. We've got a,b,c on hand, what can we do with them? Get some wraps, well tortillas, grill the chicken and wrap them up with some other tasty bits already on hand. Quick simple and hit the spot!

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Leftovers.
Corned Beef and a hash from onion, potato and cabbage. My Habanero Mustard hot sauce was right at home here.

$20160613_165241.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Aaron!

Felt presumptuous to call it a burrito as we are so far removed from Mexico and this was pretty much an ad-lib throw together. We've got a,b,c on hand, what can we do with them? Get some wraps, well tortillas, grill the chicken and wrap them up with some other tasty bits already on hand. Quick simple and hit the spot!

dave

I have done that exact thing too many times to count. It's a great way to use up some food sitting in the frig. Plus there are no rules as to what goes inside.

Simple vegetarian stir fry atop a mix of white basmati, millet and mixed quinoa.

Cabbage, bok choy, red pepper, mushrooms, asparagus, ginger, garlic, onion and pre-cooked tofu cubes.

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yesterday was so lovely I decided to try out a butcher in Georgetown about 20 minutes from where I live. There is something about beef and charcoal and with these two steaks I decided to put in the charcoal basket. Oh, I found some asparagus too.

$bbq gas and charcoal.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Tonight we had what I was told was a Hawaiian dish. Beef Loco Moco. Beef patty served on a bed of rice covered in cremini mushroom sauce with an easily done egg. I really was not expecting much from this but boy oh boy it was tasty. Lots of umami on the plate here.
$Beef Loco Moco.jpg

Top Bottom