What's new

What's coming out of YOUR roaster?

I roasted two small batches (each about 230g of green) this morning in my DIY bread machine/heat gun roaster. I've really been getting great results with this setup. I'm ending the roast about 20-30 seconds before 2nd crack. I'm getting really nice espresso pours with these two.
1714407934137.png
1714408001992.png

1715614967447.png

1715614986889.png

Roasted this batch of Ethiopian beans last night.
Cup this morning was good, but a bit tannic for me. Chocolate, black tea, and orange rind in the tasting.
Lacked a bit of depth, too, but that might well improve across the next couple of days.

Cheers, guys.

That looks pretty good, City+ or just short of first crack. That should have been far enough to tame the acidity and you are tasting chocolate which is likely due to the roast level, I have done some of these much lighter and they are bright and lite in the cup. I bet it will be good in just a few days, if not you may have to reconsider your roast profile.

That looks pretty good, City+ or just short of first crack. That should have been far enough to tame the acidity and you are tasting chocolate which is likely due to the roast level, I have done some of these much lighter and they are bright and lite in the cup. I bet it will be good in just a few days, if not you may have to reconsider your roast profile.
I appreciate the guidance, here, @APBinNCA. Thanks.

The roast you see pictured (photo colors never quite convey, right?) was taken right up to the first few pops of second crack. And maybe I used the wrong words to describe the taste. It's got a certain grape-skin, black tea, pomegranate-seed, mouth-pucker quality which I hope will tone down after it sits for a few days. Especially since I bought a 5lb bag!

Thanks again for the reply.

And maybe I used the wrong words to describe the taste.
No you used the right words, I was just having trouble recalling having a similar experience and assumed you were referring to the acidity. Now that I think about it, roasting a little lighter might actually be better. Or possibly a bit darker. I must be so used to this by now that I forgot how to identify it. At least you have enough beans to experiment!

No you used the right words, I was just having trouble recalling having a similar experience and assumed you were referring to the acidity. Now that I think about it, roasting a little lighter might actually be better. Or possibly a bit darker. I must be so used to this by now that I forgot how to identify it. At least you have enough beans to experiment!
I sure do! Yup, I'll mess around with the next few roasts and see what I can discover.

Waiting a day or two may solve the issue for me as well.

At any rate, I tend to love the chocolate flavors in darker roasted Ethiopian beans, so I might try that direction first.

I sure do! Yup, I'll mess around with the next few roasts and see what I can discover.

Waiting a day or two may solve the issue for me as well.

At any rate, I tend to love the chocolate flavors in darker roasted Ethiopian beans, so I might try that direction first.
In case anyone is curious: after a couple of days, the tannic flavors I mentioned in the last post eased off a lot, changing to leather and baking chocolate. So interesting how flavor profiles change in the days following the roast!

Small batch of Guatemalan beans roasted in the Gene Cafe last night.
Tastes of turbinado sugar, bartlett pear, and toasted grains in the cup this morning.

1715954376479.png

1715954405565.png

Top Bottom