What's new

What's a good starter straight razor under $100?

After experimenting with DEs and SEs for the last year, I've found that I prefer SEs. Thinking of moving on to a straight. What's a good quality razor to start with that's affordable?

You can get a huge amount of vintage razor for that. Buy a nice genco for cheap and have someone hone it for you on here.

There are plenty on eBay that go for less than $50.00 but then you must take into consideration the cost of having it honed. I would stay away from the Gold Dollar razors or any from China or Taiwan as they have quality control problems. Finding a good razor on the bay takes a little bit of knowledge so that you don't bitten but a Genco would be an excellent starter. A quick search brought up a W&B http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wade-Butche...055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f03a7037
There are more like this but as I said, you need to be careful.

Yes, look out for uneven hone wear, excessive hone wear on the spine, cracks, frowning edges, big chips, pitting at the bevel if it is severe can be really bad. Scales as well, make sure they aren't warped or cracked at the pivot.

Be sure to leave some room in your budget for a strop as well. At that price range you have a ton of options. Take a look around the hobbyist section and keep an eye on the bst. I would suggest going vintage for under 50 shave ready until you are sure that straights are for you.

You will want more than one razor as well as a strop. Possibly from Larry at Whipped dog or buca here on the forum to ensure they are actually shave ready.

If it's listed as shave ready on Ebay you might as well just go ahead and assume it's not.

The go to used to be whipped dog sight unseens. Before that, BST shave ready vintages were the usual suspect for a starter razor. The value of modern Dovo's is somewhat debated. Gold dollars are a reasonable option without investing too much.

The Genco recommendation has merit. American brand razors from the early 20th century are generally good quality, can be found in very good condition, and are often undervalued. But as others have noted, you're going to have to add in the cost of getting it honed to whatever price you pay. In general, so long as it's vintage, condition trumps size and size trumps brand at your price range. Get the best condition 5/8" or bigger vintage you can. Don't worry about what's stamped on the tang.

You can't go wrong with a genco fluid steel or something like a robeson shuredge. That genco steel is a little tricky to hone, but it takes on one hell of an edge. Hard steel. One awesome option that you can get in the $50ish range if you catch the bay on a slow day is an ERN ATOR. Those are probably one of the best straight razors ever and you'd always be able to get your cash back if you decide you don't like it. You just really need to ask questions and make sure the scales on those are good.

The Superior Shave has brand new Dovo Best Quality models for less than 100$. That's a solid deal in my opinion. Can't go wrong. You could definitely do better but not brand new.

Most razors on ebay aren't shave ready at all. I've started offering some on their to change that.

I would buy a razor here on BST if I were you. Best prices and someone probably was shaving with it, so good to go!

Agree with everyone because that's the three. A 208 GD from Buca, whipped dog SU vintage, and a new Dovo 6/8.

Geneva, Genco, Torrey, Shumate, Case, Simmons, and several other first half 20th century American made razors will do you well provided there is minimal hone wear and the scales are not cracked. Realistically speaking, you would do well to have two razors on hand as a minimum inventory. Shoot for 5/8 and wider.

Excessive hone wear on the spine is a definite deal breaker. Choosing razors by yourself will prove to be expensive. It's best to have a buddy to help you. Someone suggested a new Dovo. That's a good enough choice to begin with. Shy away from hone wear on the spine...........:straight:

Top Bottom