What's new

What's a good Den size?

I shave my face daily for work and my head every other day. On the weekends I use something else aggressive but my preference is to be clean shaven. This requires a small variety as the skin on your scalp does not react the same as the skin on your throat, chin, neck, etc. Buy what works. That may take some trial and error.

I have been wetshaving for over 15 years and I think I am finally getting dialed in!

Well, I’m up to four regular use razors. I have two others I want to acquire. I have a couple of soaps I like with two on the way to try. Right now I have two brushes but not in love with either. The short term goal is to have no more than seven razors and three soaps. Ideally only one or two blades, though I doubt the last one will happen.
Jack

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have limited my den to
A three drawer jewellery box for blades
A 2 shelf shower caddy for brushes and razors
And 1 shelf for soaps, aftershaves and other bits stacked Jenga style

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have limited my den to
A three drawer jewellery box for blades
A 2 shelf shower caddy for brushes and razors
And 1 shelf for soaps, aftershaves and other bits stacked Jenga style
I have found that "Jenga Style" is an excellent theft deterrent!

I've saved thousands of dollars since I fired my security detail....true story doggone!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I limit myself to 200 razors, 100 soaps, 50 aftershaves, 50 brushes, and 20,000 blades. That should keep me in line.
In terms of sufficiency, it does seem adequate, but now you are presented with the challenge of balance. 100 more soaps, 150 more aftershaves, 150 more brushes and you are there, everything at 200 and blades already at the desired multiple of 100. From there you can decide if you need to take the base up to 300 or down to 100 as long as it is an even multiple of 100!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In terms of sufficiency, it does seem adequate, but now you are presented with the challenge of balance. 100 more soaps, 150 more aftershaves, 150 more brushes and you are there, everything at 200 and blades already at the desired multiple of 100. From there you can decide if you need to take the base up to 300 or down to 100 as long as it is an even multiple of 100!
Here's the thing. I rotated my razor every day. And I run through many razors over the course of time. I may not use a razor for a year or more. But I always get back to it. The brushes were not something I ever felt like collecting. So I really have not even come close to hitting that limit of 50 brushes. Maybe 25 at the most. Less now. Soaps are something I get into a groove for long periods of time. And while I am in that groove, I tend to ignore the vast majority of my soaps. Right now I am hung up on B&M soaps, and pretty well have been just using lots of their stuff, with few others sprinkled in for comparison purposes. But consumable things like soaps and blades are too easy to accumulate, so i have to set high limits for myself.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Here's the thing. I rotated my razor every day. And I run through many razors over the course of time. I may not use a razor for a year or more. But I always get back to it. The brushes were not something I ever felt like collecting. So I really have not even come close to hitting that limit of 50 brushes. Maybe 25 at the most. Less now. Soaps are something I get into a groove for long periods of time. And while I am in that groove, I tend to ignore the vast majority of my soaps. Right now I am hung up on B&M soaps, and pretty well have been just using lots of their stuff, with few others sprinkled in for comparison purposes. But consumable things like soaps and blades are too easy to accumulate, so i have to set high limits for myself.
I was obviously joshing from the deficient and skewed vantage point of a minimalist. My den is one razor, two brushes, two soaps, one of which is being consumed to get the soaps down to one, two aftershaves in regular use and three more for rare use, and about 150 blades. I am, however, seriously considering beginning to expand by trying my first slant, an Above the Tie S1. I wish there were more comparative information than simply "I like this or that better." My curiosity is whether it would offer a different experience than I get from a Windsor and, if so, how might it differ. I could see that branching out into others. My curiosity about brushes was squelched when I got a Chubby 1 in best. A dozen plus bristles in the lather every day was just not fun!

Here are my thoughts, but I am DEFINITELY in the minority with these opinions.

Two razors:
Razors are the single item that needs the most amount of personal adjustment when you change from one to another. Where to hold for best balance, angles needed, maybe even sequence of passes. Changes in blade, soap or brush don't mess with the kinesthetics of the shave, anywhere near as much. I therefore have one closed comb razor that dies most of the shaves, and switch to one open comb razor when I need to shift heavy growth, including redefining sideburns length, or the perimeter of a partial beard. I do have others, which I will use occasionally, and that usually screws up the quality of my shaves for a while. Well, lowers them from the quality of shave that I get from sticking to one razor, anyway.

Three soaps:
Facing more choice than that per shave, is annoying for me. I do however have a little "workaround", whereby one of the three choices is a small sample of a tub soap, of which I have several, so I do get a little more change and variety, without being overwhelmed with choice every day. I do have "stock" of spare hard soaps too, but only reach for the next when the current one is finished.

Two brushes:
One for hard soaps, and one for soft soaps and creams. Different brushes favour different products in that way. OK, I actually have four, well five if you count my travel brush. The other two are a badger brush for when scrub takes priority over lather (freeing an ingrown hair for example - I have quite frizzy growth), and a spare which will work well to get me by is any of the others conn out.

Blades:
Get stuck in. Whatever floats your boat. I have personally lived through blade droughts, where I have literally been unable to get hold of double edged blades for a few months. I am determined to never have to endure that again.

Aftersplats:
Lotions, potions, balms, and pharms... I don't always use them. Maybe one in four shaves. Some folks have a cocktail of topical applications which must take longer to do than the shave itself. Follow your own path, but I'm a believer of not making things more difficult than they need to be.
Hi,

I'll join you in the minority here:

The Old Spice mug has two soaps in it, such that the brush mixes them. One is Tallow and the other Glycerine.

The brush is my newest, a Vie Long from 2013. But, that's about to change as I am getting a RV brush from the B&B Contributor group buy.

The Fasan Double Slant is my daily shaver. The Old Type is my Grandfather's and used for sideburn trimming mostly. The Slant isn't good for that. But, some days, I shave with the OT.

The Lady Gillette is my Wife's, so sits there but doesn't count for me.

The Lubriderm lotion is my AS. The styptic pencil is over 20 years old as I don't use it much.

I do have some other razors and a couple older brushes but they aren't on display, so not part of what we'd call a Den.

And the hand soap is actually Dawn for my very often greasy hands. So, sitting there but not part of the shaving routine.

Stan

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Hi,

I'll join you in the minority here:

The Old Spice mug has two soaps in it, such that the brush mixes them. One is Tallow and the other Glycerine.

The brush is my newest, a Vie Long from 2013. But, that's about to change as I am getting a RV brush from the B&B Contributor group buy.

The Fasan Double Slant is my daily shaver. The Old Type is my Grandfather's and used for sideburn trimming mostly. The Slant isn't good for that. But, some days, I shave with the OT.

The Lady Gillette is my Wife's, so sits there but doesn't count for me.

The Lubriderm lotion is my AS. The styptic pencil is over 20 years old as I don't use it much.

I do have some other razors and a couple older brushes but they aren't on display, so not part of what we'd call a Den.

And the hand soap is actually Dawn for my very often greasy hands. So, sitting there but not part of the shaving routine.

Stan
I am on board as well. I shave every day and never grow a beard. The consistency I get from using only one razor is pretty nice.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have I mentioned yet the "unofficial" B&B reply?

"As big as your bride will let you"

If you are single: "Budget 1/2 of your salary for pampering. Once you are married, it's over!"

I like a bit of variety in my den but I don’t want to be overwhelmed with choice. A small selection where everything gets used and everything packs away neatly is the goal for me.

My upper limit for any one type of item be it razor, brush, soap or hone is about twelve. Twelve is a tidy number. It divides itself easily and makes for a nice looking and well organized display. Once I get to that number I start to operate a one in one out policy.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I am in the camp where I think I have too much and I am trying to get it down to something more manageable.
I started the year with 25 soaps, 13 razors 15 brushes and 450 blades
I've used 3 soaps and bought 1, bought 1 razor and 1 brush and used 2 blades

I'd probably be more successful if I stopped buying stuff.

2F7E1A94-D909-40EE-A1EA-E467A9047471.jpeg
C7E427E7-8CD6-44BB-8579-C6AA9E7E66A8.jpeg
8F5D1D75-948F-408F-AAA9-29B7B2ADAEEC.jpeg
DAAFCDB8-E229-447D-9C29-50AD3B4C5A5D.jpeg
B1BAB7DE-AE08-49D0-8972-7161AD03606D.jpeg
D9FADFD7-D5C2-4184-A0B6-930F611F4A18.jpeg

Its never enough

Attachments

• 19ADDDB3-2CE4-4F19-BB03-EAD741685DEB.jpeg
    19ADDDB3-2CE4-4F19-BB03-EAD741685DEB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
For ten years I had one Omega boar brush, one soap, one cream, and one aftershave. Soaps and creams were replaced only when one was used up. Last year, I bought a Parker silvertip badger and a Simpson Trafalgar T3 synthetic (both of which are excellent brushes).

Last month I bought two boars to replace the 10 year old Omega, which is now all flop and splay. This way I can have one of each type and three in rotation, so that the brush can fully dry between shaves. (I’ll give away one boar.)

Last year was my acquisition disorder year. At least it took me ten years to get there. Now I have seven soaps & creams and a bunch of aftershaves (I think 14).

To answer your question, I like three brushes, two soaps and one cream for variety (a cream is faster for days when I’m in a real hurry), and two aftershaves would be enough (one really).

Last edited:
Top Bottom