What's new

What's a good brush for soaps?

I use a Vikings Blade Luxury Badger Brush. It works great with creams but I think it's too soft to create good lather with soaps.

What brush do you recommend I try that works well with soaps?

Screenshot 2019-11-13 11.51.16.png

If you like the brush, it should work just fine with soaps. My favorite brushes these days are the newer synthetics so if you're looking to try something else, I recommend them highly. They can be pretty inexpensive too. Any of the usual shave shops have a good selection - Maggards, West Coast Shaving, etc.

I prefer my Thater 4125/1 and 4125/2 two-band badgers, but don't expect most guys want to spend that much on a brush.

For less than $10, an Omega 10049 is a killer soap loader. Literally. Pretty versatile brush, it's creeping up on being my favorite boar, period.

A Semogue 1250 works very well also. Smaller than the Omega with a nicer handle at less than $20. Not as soft as the Omega but another great all-around boar.

I would go with the Omega first, you might not like the feel of a boar on your face. If you don't, you probably won't like any of them.

I just used it. After about a dozen or so shaves it was pretty much there. Some folks have posted shortcuts, but I just let it happen naturally.

I prefer a Finest or Silvertip Badger. Harder soaps work better with Finest and softer soaps give the softest face feel with Silvertip.

Good ol' YMMV. Everyone's made great suggestions you can't go wrong with. I'd suggest checking out the boars a few folks already suggested. I'm partial to boars in general though, and definitely prefer them for loading off a puck.

What is your budget?

I prefer natural fibers although many here prefer synthetics. These days I prefer mainly badgers because I like the face-feel. Depending on the budget, my personal preference would be one of the denser Simpsons or a Shavemac.

So many options, so little time!!

Really, any brush should work fine for soaps. Omega, Semogue, Simpson, Stirling and Yaqi are all great brushes. Probably any of them is going to be better than that Viking Blade brush.

There are so many good choices out there. Here are a few more:
- Omega 20102 wood handle boar
- Semogue 1250 wood handle boar
- Zenith B03-A26 aluminum handle boar
- Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown synthetic
- Yaqi Ferrari Rough Complex Tuxedo synthetic

There are so many good choices out there. Here are a few more:
- Omega 20102 wood handle boar
- Semogue 1250 wood handle boar
- Zenith B03-A26 aluminum handle boar
- Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown synthetic
- Yaqi Ferrari Rough Complex Tuxedo synthetic
How’s the Semogue 1305 different from the 1250?

How’s the Semogue 1305 different from the 1250?
The handle shape and the shape of the knot are about the same. The 1305 has a painted handle and the bristles are slightly softer than the 1250.

While they are both good, I like the 1250 more. Painted handles can chip if they are dropped (which will happen). You can just wipe a little mineral oil on the plain oak 1250 handle and it's as good as new. I prefer the slightly stiffer bristles on the 1250 because it keeps its shape better after break-in and does not become overly soft like a mop.

One other thing, the 1250 has just the plain boar bristles, but the 1305 has the fake dyed bristles to imitate badger hair. I am not a fan of the fake look.

Last edited:
You can spend a lot of money looking die the perfect soap brush. Believe me, I have.

I don't think I've encountered a brush that was too soft for soaps. My Semogue Owner's Club is pretty soft and I don't have trouble with it on soaps. However, my two best brushes for quickly making lather are a $200 Shavemac and a $15 Yaqi. Go figure.

Synthetics are typically less expensive, require no soaking, and use less product to produce the same amount of lather. They also generate lather faster in my experience. I have a few badgers, a few boars, and a few horses, but a $6 Chinese synthetic is my go-to brush and that's mostly what I plan to stick with in the future. One of these days I may spring for a newer Muhle synthetic, but my preference is for small brushes and quick shaves.

Top Bottom