What's new

What's a good brush for soaps?

Under $50
If you haven't tried a nice boar brush, this is a good opportunity. Semogue 1250 is around $12 on some Euro websites, shipping is cheap from some like Connaught's. You can throw in a soap or two to spread the cost out. Omega 49 can be found for less than $10. I think the Semogue has a nicer handle and is a more versatile brush, though. Difficult to go wrong.

RazoRock Big Bruce. Last brush you’ll ever buy.

I second that. It's a great brush.
Gillette_1.JPG

Thank you. Budget is a big factor when looking at additions. There are many recommendations already made that will be under $50, boar mostly.

To find a badger brush under $50, there's a couple of options: 1) buy new, 2) buy a used brush off the BST (Buy, Sell, Trade) section of B & B. I have bought several brushes from gentlemen on the forum & have been able to get a much nicer brush than I could have for the money I spent. Be on the lookout for a used badger brush & you can, if patient, find brushes in the $50 range with the likes of Simpson, Shavemac, Rooney, Rudy Vey (handle maker extraordinaire), & others. But the keyword here is be patient. Most of the aforementioned brushes are going to cost more than your budget, but patience can be rewarded. If you're buying new, choices are limited. There are many brushes out there that cost less than $50, but your goal is to get a good brush for less than $50. Other gentlemen will provide other recommendations, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Yaqi brushes, which you will find on aliexpress or West Coast Shaving.

Synthetic brushes are another story. There are many brands, types & sizes of good synthetic brushes under $50. My particular favorites are the Muhle STF (silvertip fiber), Shavemac synthetic, Turn N Shave chess piece Boss knot, & the Yaqi Cashmere.

And I think we have established that brushes are very much a YMMV piece, so I'm confident that there will be some who agree with some of my suggestions, & many more that disagree!

Thank you. Budget is a big factor when looking at additions. There are many recommendations already made that will be under $50, boar mostly.

To find a badger brush under $50, there's a couple of options: 1) buy new, 2) buy a used brush off the BST (Buy, Sell, Trade) section of B & B. I have bought several brushes from gentlemen on the forum & have been able to get a much nicer brush than I could have for the money I spent. Be on the lookout for a used badger brush & you can, if patient, find brushes in the $50 range with the likes of Simpson, Shavemac, Rooney, Rudy Vey (handle maker extraordinaire), & others. But the keyword here is be patient. Most of the aforementioned brushes are going to cost more than your budget, but patience can be rewarded. If you're buying new, choices are limited. There are many brushes out there that cost less than $50, but your goal is to get a good brush for less than $50. Other gentlemen will provide other recommendations, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Yaqi brushes, which you will find on aliexpress or West Coast Shaving.

Synthetic brushes are another story. There are many brands, types & sizes of good synthetic brushes under $50. My particular favorites are the Muhle STF (silvertip fiber), Shavemac synthetic, Turn N Shave chess piece Boss knot, & the Yaqi Cashmere.

And I think we have established that brushes are very much a YMMV piece, so I'm confident that there will be some who agree with some of my suggestions, & many more that disagree!
Thank you!

Does anyone else have qualms about buying badger hair brushes with the knowledge that badger hair comes from China where cruel treatment of the farmed animals has been recorded?

I agree with several of the responses above. I shave head and face daily, so it’s always easier for me to go with a larger brush. There’s two I use very, very often - the Omega 49, which is amazing for the super low cost. Typical boar that’ll need a good bit of use before it’s at it’s best. The other is RazoRock’s Monster, 26mm synthetic. I loved that one so much I ordered a 28mm Beehive yesterday. I’m looking forward to it arriving!

Does anyone else have qualms about buying badger hair brushes with the knowledge that badger hair comes from China where cruel treatment of the farmed animals has been recorded?

Yes, but for that matter many products come from China where cruel treatment of the people has been recorded.

I've been using a Rasorock Disruptor and really like it, but I don't know where it was actually made.

I'm personally of the opinion that any brush can work with even the hardest of soaps. If you're using something really soft like silvertip, you just have to load longer (using the "Marco method", for example) or bloom the soap a little at first. But a nice boar brush, like the Semogue Owners Club that I use, also makes loading and using soaps a breeze.

Yes, but for that matter many products come from China where cruel treatment of the people has been recorded.

I've been using a Rasorock Disruptor and really like it, but I don't know where it was actually made.

The difficulty for me is that I have seen the photographs of badgers being farmed in China, the treatment would be completely unnacceptable anywhereelse in the World. I understand that all badger hair for shaving brushes comes from China.

A shaving brush is a personal object, I do not want to be reminded on a daily basis that an animal has gone through hell for the benefit of a shaving experience.

This is a private choice, we all make decisions based on what is imortant to us, you may take the view that this is the way of the world and you have different priorities, I respect that.

I take the view, along with an increasing number of shaving (and cosmetic) brush manufacturers, that I do not want to spend a single dollar in supporting a farming practice that that I believe is horrific.

Top Bottom