What's new

What’d you get for Christmas/Holidays this year? Pics are great!

What a great looking brush! I was gifted my first few Semogues for Christmas, they are fantastic! I haven’t tried SV soap yet. Merry Christmas!
Thank you, sir. I'm looking forward to using both. And congratulations on getting your first Semogue's.

For me, this was an awesome Hanukkah gift from my beautiful wife (our 25th anniversary is May 19, 2021) .....
a new pair of Birkenstocks, a new Lohanu ukulele, Hermes cologne, Proraso splash and balm, and a bottle of
one of my favorite single malts. And ..... a Simpsons Duke 2 Best is on the way from Amazon !
Yes indeed, I am a very lucky man !!!

View attachment 1200659
Adam,
My parents were married May 19, 1945 and my daughter was born May 19, 1974...great date!
And I just received my Simpson Duke 2 Best from Amazon. What a great face lathering brush. I had just gotten the Duke 3 Best a week before when I saw the Amazon price on the "2". I couldn't pass it up. Glad I got it as I like it better than the "3".

Adam,
My parents were married May 19, 1945 and my daughter was born May 19, 1974...great date!
And I just received my Simpson Duke 2 Best from Amazon. What a great face lathering brush. I had just gotten the Duke 3 Best a week before when I saw the Amazon price on the "2". I couldn't pass it up. Glad I got it as I like it better than the "3".

Yes Sir ! May 19 is indeed a wonderful date !
Congratulations on your two new Dukes. Enjoy !
Best regards for a happy HEALTHY New Year.

View attachment 1200583
I got the Proraso sensitive kit from my brother. I am making the switch from soaps to creams from now on.
Just curious....why are you switching from soaps to creams? I started with creams but have switched over exclusively to soaps. Most of the guys on the forum also end up with soaps after starting with creams. So I'm interested in your thoughts.....

Just curious....why are you switching from soaps to creams? I started with creams but have switched over exclusively to soaps. Most of the guys on the forum also end up with soaps after starting with creams. So I'm interested in your thoughts.....

I'm just really impressed with how quickly the cream made a great lather. That's it.

I started with soaps. So that also might have something to do with it.

I'm just really impressed with how quickly the cream made a great lather. That's it.

I started with soaps. So that also might have something to do with it.

Off the thread topic but I am liking creams more for the quick lather on a weekday/workday morning shave. I will never get rid of all my soaps, because of course SV doesn't make a shave cream. I still use my soaps for weekend shaves when I have a little extra time to lather. Soaps take me close to 3+ minutes to get the lather I want, creams I can have a nice lather in a minute maybe a minute and a half. I know, get up earlier, I could do that but it takes all the enthusiasm I have just to get up in the morning to go to work much less shave besides when job doesn't require it.

My first tub of soap was a TOBS cream from a knife store at the local mall. In about a month it was gone. I went back to the store and beside the $30CDN cream was a tub of hard soap which cost less to purchase and lasted three times as long. I haven't bought a cream in five years, but am eyeing the TOBS Tobacco cream.

31 Dec 2020, 69th Birthday gift

DSCF2382.JPG

Used on 1 Jan 2021.

What a great gift! Also, great looking setup/den you have there! Thank you for sharing! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Thank you!! On setup still working...waiting for more brushes and holders for razors:))
Then led light and similar toys....:::)))
Merry Christmas to you!!!

Great gifts indeed. The tips on the Classic 1 synth will feel the same as those on the Chubby or M7 synths, but the overall performance of the Chubby or M7 will be much better. The Classic feels too small and the synthetic fibre just does not behave 'naturally' in that size knot. It doesn't splay so much as it all folds over one way or the other. But that said, it will give you a feel for the extraordinary softness of that grade of fibre. I have a Classic 1 synth and it is just fine for travel, but would be less than satisfying as a daily brush.

Don't forget photos!
The Classic synth arrived today and it is smaller than I thought. Closer to a Wee Scot in size than a Special!

I will give it a whirl tonight but I expect it will stay in my Dopp bag for travel. Tight little knot. My wife said “awww... it’s cute! But that was fifty bucks?!” 😜

Top Bottom