What's new

What was your father's shave kit?

My father was a pretty steady guy in most aspects of his life. Shaving for him was the typical chore of his time period. As far back as I can remember he shaved with a Gillette Executive (Gold TTO DE 1958), Gillette blades, a drugstore boar brush, Old Spice shave soap in an OS mug and Old Spice Aftershave. The OS soap and AS were Christmas gifts that I could afford to buy from the meager wages from my paper route. I have his Executive and OS Mug, so it is easy for me to recreate his daily shave.

All I can remember he had a Gillette TTO, even though he gave it to me in 1958 I can't remember what model it was. If I had to guess it was a super speed, not a flare tip because he had it quite a while. Can't remember what kind of brush or soap / cream he used. What ever it was he bought me the same setup.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

My father was a lot like me. I remember him being rather unhappy with his shaves and I also remember him trying different things to improve upon them. I'd imagine he was pretty routinely trying a new razor because I remember seeing a new razor sitting in our bathroom, every once in a while. I distinctly remember the gold slim Aristocrat adjustable sitting in its box near our bathroom sink. I remember opening it up and seeing the shiny gold razor sitting inside and being really impressed with its appearance and presentation. Obviously, Gillette's packaging made an impression on me because I remember that feeling from at least forty-five years ago. I also remember playing with his Fatboy while looking in the mirror. I remember Schick Injectors, and I still have his adjustable Injector today. I remember his Old Spice shaving mug and soap. Oddly enough I don't really remember a shaving brush, although I do remember seeing him use one. I also remember him, later-on, switching over to disposable razors. Gillette Good News, mostly. And then in the 80's he changed over to an electric razor and used that for a long while.

In the late 80s and early 90s, I became unhappy with my shaves and I was trying different razors back then. My brother was laughing at me for spending money on DE razors. That was one of the only times I can remember my father actually taking my side in a discussion. My father agreed with me that trying different razors, looking for something better, wasn't a silly thing to do.

Last edited:
My dad used a basic Gillette TTO and Gem Blue blades. For cream I believe he used either Colgate or Palmolive. I don't recall if he used an aftershave.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I grew up in the 'fifties. This is what I remember my dad using:
  • Gillette TTO (don't know which one);
  • Marlin Blue Blades (to be replaced by Wilkinson Swords when they were introduced);
  • Noxzema as a pre-shave;
  • Rise or Rapid Shave for lather.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I don't know what my father used, but my grandfather used one razor his entire life. He used a WW1 US Army issued open comb Gillette. 63 years one razor. He shaved every day, even when he was in the hospital, but unfortunately it was stolen when he passed away in the hospital back in 1980.

I vaguely remember my dad (who was born in 1901) shaving in the 1940's. Even though he had tough whiskers, I'm inclined to think he was a one pass shaver. He shaved daily, probably in the morning.

He would draw water in the bathroom sink. His razor was brass colored and it had a ball at the end of the handle. I'm guessing it was a Gillette old type (thin cap or thick cap) or it was a Gillette Good Will razor. The blades were Gillette, and came in a small packet with a picture on the container of the mustached King himself. The mug was a white coffee mug. The soap was left over slivers of Ivory hand soap. The brush was a non-descript boar bristle item, probably bought at a grocery store or a drug store. I don't think he used after shave.

Pretty basic and pretty pedestrian, but not uncommon in the 1930's and 1940's.

My dad still has his:

Gillette Super Adjustable set to 5
An old beat up Eveready
Nacets(I got him off the grocery store blades)
Aqua Velva
Wholly Kaw Merchant of Tobacco(or whatever soap I pass on)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dirty, clunky Norelco three-head "razors."

When it got really, really bad he'd buy a new one.

His dad used witch hazel, as do I. My dad shrugged.

"That stuff doesn't do anything," he said. He was wrong.

AA

Can of goop...cheap brush. Some sort of single blade injector as I remember the blade bank and Jovan Musk aftershave. Sound 70's enough for you?

I remember my Dad shaving with a Slim adjustable, Old Spice mug with Old Spice soap and a crappy boar brush.

Then he moved up to a Techmatic. Only reason I know that is he ahh "let me know" not to play with the lever that advances the blade. Seems I advanced through all 10 blades on his new head!

(The Techmatic had a metal ribbon blade that was long enough for 10 'blades' and you used a lever to advance to the next 'blade'. Seems I was playing around and burned all 10 blades while they were out one night) :facep:

Edit to add he also used Old Spice, Skin Bracer and Brut aftershaves

My father was a pretty steady guy in most aspects of his life. Shaving for him was the typical chore of his time period. As far back as I can remember he shaved with a Gillette Executive (Gold TTO DE 1958), Gillette blades, a drugstore boar brush, Old Spice shave soap in an OS mug and Old Spice Aftershave. The OS soap and AS were Christmas gifts that I could afford to buy from the meager wages from my paper route. I have his Executive and OS Mug, so it is easy for me to recreate his daily shave.

Gillette Fat Handled Tech; Erskine 200 nylon brush; Old Spice shaving mug; shaving soap unknown. Later he started using Gillette Foamy. Early 1960s he went to a Gillette Slim, which he used until the late 1970s or early 1980 and went to Bic disposables. Sometime after 1990 he went to Gillette gel. He used Bic disposables and Gillette gel until his death.

For travel, he had a Craftsman electric razor. We gave him a Remington electric for a lengthy hospital stay, but he preferred a cheap battery powered off brand electric that he had to use when he stayed with us a few days.

I have his two Gillette razors and his shaving brush. I broke his mug in my childhood, so that's long gone. The Craftsman electric is still around, as is the Remington electric we gave him. But the battery powered razor has vanished.

I grew up in rural Indiana in the 50's on a small farm. My dad only shaved when necessary or mom got on him to shave. He used an E or G Schick Injector (I think the one issued to him in the Army) with Schick blades and some brand of a boar brush with Williams soap. Only thing I remember is him filling the sink with hot water, soaking his brush and doing a one pass shave with touchups. As was with most of his generation it was a chore.

My dad had a Gillette DE of some sort; I vaguely remember this three-piece razor, gold plated. Eventually, he switched to cartridge razors, but still uses a brush (started with a small boar, then I gave him a nice medium-sized badger; he's used that one for the past... ten years or so) and a cream - usually a Palmolive menthol, sometimes Nivea. He does not use an aftershave, because he prefers a cold water splash followed by some Niva Men cream. Simple, but effective.

I grew up without a father, so I don't know what he used to shave. We were never really close and he also passed this year in motorcycle crash.

I hope if I ever have kids, I hope they will have memories of me like that and maybe even continue with wet shaving

Top Bottom