What's new

What would your father say?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
He's been a TracII user from as far back as I can remember, and shaving is just homework for him. Even he now mostly uses disposable cartridges.

I gave him a mild moderate DE and a box of blades two years ago. Apparently he gave up after a bloody fight, I believe he used it less than three times.

He definitely won't spend the extra time shaving, and it's unlikely to convince him that shaving has to be slow and stress-free, so I gave up on tempting him to shave wet.

Of course I would never let him know how much I spent on Walfman or Muramasa.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My father was not a supportive role model in my life, he put down anything that I wanted to do, that wasn't his own idea. While he did teach me a few things in life, the only shaving related thing I learned from him, was how to use a cart razor, because he had already abandoned safety razor shaving, before I was born. If my father were still alive, he'd wonder why I needed a safety razor over a cart or electric razor.

My brother is all that I have left in my family, who actually acts like family, and he thinks I am crazy with this wet shaving hobby. He doesn't understand it, and all he sees in the 7 razors, and sees it as an obsession. A wave of anxiety rolled over him, it was clear he thought I needed an intervention. Its amazing how some folks will look at other's as obsessions, conveniently forgetting they have some of their own.

With my brother, his life roles around politics, it seems like most days, thats all he cares about. Yet, he doesn't understand my wet shaving hobby, simply because it doesn't interest him .I guess that works both ways, I personally see politics as pointless and unnecessary in everyday life. Too many folks like to put their interests in other people's lives, instead of focusing on their own.

But you got to remember guys, my father died like 20-years ago, so there is just not much that I can say on that topic, unless we want to fall down the rabbit hole of discussion on why my father was as dysfunctional as he was, and how it effected my life. But this is not that type of discussion, so ya. lol! Seriously though, we do have a niche hobby that only 1% of humanity share. The remaining 99% of humanity, can't wait to get shaving over with as quickly as possible with a cart or electric razor.

Lost dad 5 years ago. He was #2 of 11 children, worked his butt off for every thing he had and showed a great deal of appreciation for those things. He really enjoyed the occasional good bourbon paired with a good cigar or his pipe. I know have his 1960 Fatboy, his old Ever-Ready brush and 4 of his pipes. The Razor and brush were tools I was taught to shave with some 40 years ago. I think dad would be happy with his old razor and brush are still serving a purpose. I know he was happy I shared his appreciation for a good pipe, a fine cigar and his opinion that a bourbon bottle that required dusting was a bourbon bottle wasted. But I think he’d loose HIS DAMN MIND, if he knew I have more than 20 each of razors, soaps and aftershaves.

But after a days work, I’m about to go give the old “Fatboy” some action serving its intended porpoise. For dad I’m going to keep it simple too. The old Fatboy, Ever-Ready brush with some Williams and a splash of AV. Then I’m going to take the dog out for a walk. When we finish the dog and I are going to sit on my deck while I have 3 fingers of Bookers neat and smoke a nice Romo 1875. I know damn well dad would enjoy that and consider it a well spent afternoon.

My dad, born in 1937, passed about 27 years ago, and I’m sorry to say I didn’t take the time to get to know him better. As I grew up, he worked almost constantly - so he could provide for his family in a way that he did not benefit from while growing up. I suppose I could choose to resent the time he spent working instead of with me… but I just can’t afford many resentments anymore and I choose to see it for what it was - he was a guy who was doing his best in the way he knew how…And here’s the deal; I had an awesome childhood - spending almost every day sunup to sundown outside down at the local creek, learning how to entertain myself with bugs, frogs, fish, dam-building…Damn - I want some of that back 😀, even if my story is a little too well covered by Harry Chapin’s “Cat’s in the Cradle”. But I digress….

Dad had a Schick L-type injector and a single can of Barbasol or Gillette Foamy (whichever was on sale) in the medicine cabinet, and I know exactly what he would have said about my shaving hobby; “I’m glad you’re so rich you can afford multiple razors and all those foo-foo brushes..”. He’d have said it in a way that I’d wonder if he was serious, only to later find out from my Mom that he’d be bragging about what I was doing to his friends….proud of whom I’d become (most of the time anyway)….

Cool idea for a thread!

I never really knew my dad as my folks divorced when I was little. We did develop a friendship later in his life but I don't think shaving ever came up. ;) My stepfather was a very different type of man than my father but he was was a wetshaver (I recall canned foam however). Unfortunately, just about the time I started shaving, that marriage fell apart too. I suppose he would approve of my method of shaving just as my birth father would have as they were men who came up in the 30's and 40's and were mature men by the 50's. However, I think they'd both get a laugh at the collection of razors, brushes, facial products. But I bet at this stage of my own life, I could have taught them a few things about a proper shave. They're both long gone now.

Last edited:
1663264050194.gif

Last time I was visiting, my father himself had just returned from a trip, and left his cartridge razor behind. I had a baili 171 with me, and excitedly dropped it off in his bathroom for him to try out with some derby blades.

He was too afraid that he would cut himself, and bought a new cartridge set the next day.

My grandfather, on the other hand, thinks it's just the coolest thing that I shave how he used to.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm positive my Dad wet shaved earlier in his life. He was born in 1915, grew up on a small farm in Illinois, left home at 16 and was in the Civilian Conservation Corps and then the Army (cavalry with real horses; he drove a WW1-vintage horse-drawn ambulance). Then he went to the Corps of Engineers and finished out his career up to 1975. Not too many electric outlets in the wilderness or war zones in those days.

However, he was a gadget freak and always liked playing with whatever new idea for tools or kitchen gear he came across. Mom used to get a bit cranky when her favourite pans were put in storage to make room for the latest "labour saving" appliance. She'd get them back out and life would go on. Electric shaving was the modern way. Dad used a Ronson foil razor up to the mid-70s sometime when he switched to a rotary. His gadget gene really kicked in when cordless razors came out. He'd walk all over the house, shaving, just because he could.

He never did really like my beard and long hair -- "How long are you going to let that get?" he'd ask. "A little longer," was my usual reply. :) He was happy that I'd trim it occasionally. When my bald spot got big enough to start shaving my head he used to say, "Looks like you forgot your face." I'd just smile and say I had a great face for radio. :)

I learned snark as a way to deal with my parents. If I made some mouth noises in response to their monologues it meant to them I was listening. I knew about how much I could shovel on before they'd notice I wasn't saying anything relevant. Unfortunately I also learned extemporaneous blathering, which I really try to hold down.

O.H.

My daddy was a single-edge guy, usually had a simple razor from the drugstore. He used either Williams or Gillette shaving soap. He had a nice collection of basic aftershaves, Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, and a few Avon lotions gifted at Christmas. My pop knew of my shaving collection acquired through the years, and surely wondered how I would use all of my creams and lotions, but I can't recall if he ever said anything.

My dad was born in 1918.

He came of age during the depression, served in WW II, survived with some debilitating arm injury but was lucky enough not to lose his arm, and one of my first shaving memories from the late 1950's were his Palmolive shaving sticks.

Later, he switched to an electric razor (as was the fashion in the late 1950s/early 1960s), but he was also an early (1959?) convert to Tabac Original after shave and I still recall vividly the combined 7:30 am smell of Tabac Original and freshly brewed coffee in our kitchen. Maybe that explains why I like Tabac Original without ever using it too often.
Well, I'm heading towards 70 now myself, and my dad - God bless his soul - is long gone, but each time I smell Tabac I still do think of him.

When I hugged him in the morning before heading off to school, I also do remember that his beard was kind of scratchy already then. Well, in those days electric razors were not all that much to write home about, were they?

What he would say?
He was a frugal man, having lived through the Depression, and today he might raise an eyebrow over my collection of (too many) straight razors and overflowing drawers of (equally too many) shaving creams and soaps, but he might find the principle of using a safety razor an entirely sensible (meaning cost-sensitive) decision.

B.

Last edited:
As long as I could remember all my dad ever used was an electric razor of some kind. He'd use "Lectric Shave" pre-shave and finish off with Skin Bracer. I could never get into electric razors and (until the last couple of years) wet shaved using Trac II type cartridge razors, Barbasol and Aqua Velva for most of my life. My dad wouldn't care how I shave... or if I shaved. :lol:

My father could care less. He is a retired farmer in his early 70s and he acts like one! Lol He just shakes his head most the time when I bring up my hobbies. I let him hold/look at a paladin and a replated razor one time not too long ago. He asked me how much it was and promptly put it back in my hands and laughed! He uses electrics and mainly from Sam's or Costco but I had recently gifted him my BayBliss 2.0 foil in rose gold of which he now uses on special occasions apparently according to the mother. No desire to change and care free as ever.

Top Bottom