What's new

What to expect from Letterk blade sample?

Awaiting shipment of the sample. I use Merkur Futur with merkur blades. Since I found this site, and I needed new blades figured I'd try the sample that I noticed referenced in several posts. I have use the Futur of and on for several years and always used Merkur blades. The only other blades available at local stores are the Gillette blades. I assumed the Merkur blades were superior ao never switched. Posts on this board made me think I might find a better shave by trying out some different blades, hence the sampler. I shave nightly using Musgo and a Saville Row super bader brush. I have a medium beard with a ruddy complexion. Any comments on the blade sample and what I should look for performance wise. Thanks.

Well, if you ordered the full sampler you will get blades from Merkur, Feather, Euro Gillette (not the same as US Gillettes), Israeli Personna (not the same as US Personnas), and Derby blades.

You will probably find the other blades to be quite different from the Merkurs you are used to, mainly in that they should be sharper and smoother. Israeli and Derby blades are pretty equivalent. Swedish Gillettes are very sharp and smooth and Feathers are even sharper than the Euros.

Try them all out to determine what works best for you, but don't discount a blade straight off and instead return to it a couple months down the road and see if you still get the same reaction to it.

Israeli and Derby blades are available in bulk purchase from reliable eBay vendors and will work out to be about 10 to 15 cents a blade. Feathers can be purchased from Cotton Blossom Crafts or Pauldog over at SMF for a reasonable amount (about 25 cents a blade). Euro Gillettes need to be ordered from Europe and tend to be the priciest option after shipping is factored in. Auravita and The Gentleman's Shop are two vendors off the top of my head who carry them.

Dennis

M

modern man

Use all blades and find out for yourself how they all work (find your fav :smile: ).

Things to look for.

1. Tugging, that is bad
2. Irratation, also bad.
3. Smoothness, how well it glides on your face.
4. The cut, how well they shave you.
5. longevity, don't push it but it is nice to see how long the blade lasts.

Hope this helps.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
You've done the right thing by ordering the sampler. I have been through all of them but the Merkur and they do indeed work differently and sometimes different with various equipment used ie Adjustable, Non Adjustable razors. Be sure to check back and let us know your experiences, this leads to learning for us all.

I've made my way through the sample pack. John (LetterK) has a great service that provides a low cost way to try several blades. My experience has been that the Merkur blades are at the bottom of my personal use list. The IP and Derby blades are mostly a toss-up. The Derby may have a slight edge, but these two are interchangeable for my personal use. The Swedish Gillettes are great. Sharp and smooth, require less touch-up than the first three, but the Feathers seem to win out for my personal use. While the Swedish and Feather blades are very close in performance for me, the cost and hassle associated with obtaining the Swede compared to the Feather gives the Feather the top spot, at least with the razor I've used during the trial. YMMV, some find the Feathers harsh and Derby has a large following.

What to expect? I will expect that by the time you are done experimenting, you will be ordering 100's of Feather blades by mail order. Simply the best.
John

What to expect?

that second to your purchase of a DE, you are now(or will be once it arrives) on the way to shaving nirvana. :thumbup1:

Marty

I find as I move through the sampler that as my technique gets refined and the blades get sharper, my shaves get smoother and more pleasant. I think you will be able to expect the same. :shaving:

I am rotating through the Derbys today (first shave with one ever), so I will be sure to report back when I am done with this part of the pack.

Make sure you use each blade for at least its full life cycle. I've read on this board of some folks who try to decide which blade they like based on only one day of shaving per blade.

Remember, people's opinions on blades are just that - opinions. John loves his Feathers, I love my Derby. *shrug*

Live by LeisureGuy's mantra of "your mileage may vary". :biggrin:

Hi!
You will see that different blades behaves different in your razors, I mean for me Derby blades feels completely different in a Merkur HD :eek: compared to a Gillette Milord. :smile:
And I guess that's the same for other members in this forum.

Good luck !
_________
Peter

I have also order the sample pack :cool:

I hope it is nice and I will get to know more blades, so I can decide what I like the most and buy only them in the future :biggrin1:

Top Bottom