What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

9/16 Johann Blankenagel "Alcoso"
SOTD6-8-23.jpeg

Tell us more. Regrind of what to what?

I remember this razor being near wedge/quarter hollow.

Your recollection is impressive, Frank! It was a quarter hollow, and I asked him to make it more like a traditional half. Pics here:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Oh What A Difference!

This morning I decided to return back to a coticule edge. This time with one of my most favoured SRs, a Gold Dollar W59. Why the difference? I refresh the edge on the vintage coticule, this time using soluble oil (6% sol oil 94% water).

IMG_20230609_082800.jpg

A lovely shave. Not as keen as the pasted balsa edge on another W59 in the CdM but very smooth on the skin. My standard shave finish was achieved - DFS+.

Filarmonica 12 DT

An amazing shave with the edge behaving strangely. The first pass didn’t feel like it was sharp enough, especially near the toe. No tugging but the stubble sure didn’t wipe away either. The edge on the second pass felt incredible, super sharp and comfortable. Weird.

Great shave though, I’ll take it

IMG_0942.jpeg

5/8 King MFG. / Cella / Skin Bracer -- #99 -- Most feel it takes ~100 shaves with a straight razor before becoming proficient. Like a NFL quarterback who's played enough that the game has "slowed down" and their play improves, the ~100 SR shave milestone is spot on. I've added nicer razors since I began, but I'll close out my first 100 shaves next week with the SR I started with, and then stop counting.
King MFG.jpg

Top Bottom