What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Miltuon 6/8 Japanese steel with some wool fat.
C39B21B7-0247-4E39-AF96-255941D2DCED.jpeg

Ralf Aust 6/8 hollow back
SV Dolomiti 4.0 soap
Simpsons Chubby 3
SV Cubebe AS

I noticed a very small/tiny chip on the edge this morning, I'm not sure how that appeared, and I didn't like it. So I took the edge back on a Naniwa 3k then 8K, 12K and fine chromox on canvas strop, then stropped on first Bridle and finished on Horsehide. For someone new at this SR game, it came up very well with relatively little fuss on my part.

P9030028 (2).JPG

Had a bit more time this morning, so grabbed the F.A. Clauberg "Halberd" (the second of two shave-ready straights I own). Having larger hands, I find this one w/flat-sided scales and no jimping slightly awkward to hold when stropping than my other one w/more rounded scales and jimping on the bottom of the tang. A little inattention using my non-dominant hand and the square tip dug in and bit me in front of my ear. Ah well, "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever..."
E727073B-CFA1-48CC-85E9-CFF2457E048D.jpeg

While it's sad to see the loss of that section near the heel, it's great that you've opted to save the majority of what remains. Looks like a great candidate, if not a justification, for a narrower strop.
Actually, there was no loss. This is the original design of the model 363. I have had a few others and they have the same shape too. It was an odd way of making a shoulderless blade. Le Grelot shoulderless thumbnotch are quarter hollow, whereas this one is much hollower, which might be the reason.

It is "Friday".
CFAC6767-FC8B-4F98-B29E-AF61BE720DED.jpeg

"Wednesday" is feeling a bit left behind.
C56BC8E4-0D75-48F9-B41F-AFFAF9E43555.jpeg

All black razors today. In honor of Slantember I pulled out an iKon B1 for some neck maelstrom clean up.
F574CAF2-F815-4B8B-A5DA-C5524D19DAB5.jpeg

This shot was taken with "Friday" still in the grease. Cleaned it off, gave it the full diamond balsa progression and some Tony Miller linen and smooth horse. It popped its way right up one of the LOTH's hairs, and right across the blade. No complaints there, or with the shave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Steve you are severely deficient in the 3/8 category.

Pair (!) of 3/8 in ivory, unbranded but undoubtedly an English maker.

View attachment 1322137
Lovely beautiful razors. All this time I thought the ERN was a 4/8 lol. It gave a great quick shave this morning. Most of my razors are 4/8 and 9/16. Occasionally I’ll break down and use a 5/8 though. Happy to have some company.

Top Bottom