What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Thiers Issard 69 - «Le Dandy 13/16, Médaille d’Argent »

proxy.php

PXL_20201121_202311074-01.jpeg

PAX 173
Heritage Collection Klenzo (new to me)
Tabac soap, AS, and EdC

The shave was a little chaotic today. I planned on using the Kama, but didn't like the edge after stropping. Made a snap call and went with the PAX instead. The new (to me) Klenzo did great! Oodles of creamy lather from the Tabac. Can't wait to try the fan knot face lathering some Arlo.

Overall the PAX seemed a bit harsh today, so after the shave I took it to the Les Lat hybrid to try to tame it a little for next time.
PXL_20201121_205255315-01.jpeg

Running an experiment on honing progression. So shaved 1/2 my face with a Pyramid Geneva 5/8 1/2 hollow, other 1/2 with a virtually identical Crane 5/8 1/2 hollow. For the Geneva my progression was 5k, 8k, ILR, pasted strop, for the Crane I inserted a black ark between the ILR and the pasted strop. Crane seemed a touch better. This is 2nd time shave like this, this time I switched which side of my face was used for each razor. Crane won last time too, so there does seem to be a trend. Primary judging parameter is smoothness of skin, and in particular the length of stubble remaining on the upper lip. So maybe it is worth the extra few minutes to pull out the black ark?? :)

By the way in the photos the Geneva is the one with the red handle.

Not terribly fond of either at the moment, there is wickedly sharp corner at the toe which I keep nicking myself with. Still a beginner, only about 10 SR shaves under my belt!

Attachments

• 2BDAF5C6-711D-4ACD-A9BC-130AF1E918CB.jpeg
    2BDAF5C6-711D-4ACD-A9BC-130AF1E918CB.jpeg
    944.4 KB · Views: 11
  • E3F92EB5-E15C-486E-91AE-1BF3E064D1AE.jpeg
    E3F92EB5-E15C-486E-91AE-1BF3E064D1AE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Geo. Wostenhol & Son IXL
D.R. Harris Arlington
Simpson 46b Berkeley
Miller Strop
Jnat finish
Thayers
Pinaud Clubman
20201122_080553.jpg

reworked the Wosty yesterday and got her off the tape habit. reset bevel and on up. also fixed minor issue on show side spine I could feel. tape hid the deficiency I believe. edge is good but can be a hair better by my standards. will revisit the Surgical Ark again and end with the Shobu.

its raining yet again.....looks like another evening hunt.

be well all.

camo

I decided to continue with another French razor for this week. The maker David is a still very active company that among other thing produce very beautiful pocketknives but before I got this razor, some years ago, I had no idea that they at least at one point also had made razors. I like that they’ve called it “Samson” it makes me smile every time I pick it up.

Edit: It is half hollow and a very nice shaver.

20201121_101335.jpg

Top Bottom