What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

A short note on shaving soaps by The Grumpy Old Bastard (that below proves that he deserves that epithet).

When I read how much appreciation some budget shaving soaps get at B&B I often wonder if my recollection of how I have perceived their performance might be totally wrong. It’s even happened that I’ve bought new specimens of soaps I’ve sworn to never touch again just to try them once more. Every time I’ve been reminded of what Einstein once stated: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”. Lately I’ve dug deep into my soap drawer and have been shaving with low cost shaving soaps, and yes there are good shaving soaps among them like LaToja, LEA (I recall that it should be the same soap as LaToja), Macarot, Nivea and others. They are really good, but often not quite as good as more expensive soaps. However there are popular low cost shaving soaps, that I hopefully never will be stupid enough to put onto my face again. I guess that part of the answer to why some cheaper soaps get so good reviews is due to that they are the first shaving soaps new wet shavers try out and everything is better than the canned goo that is the only reference they’ve got.

Having stated the above; There are expensive shaving soaps that I’ll never buy again too, like the classic British three “T”:s. I never managed to get Trumpers’ Rose to lather for instance.

On to my razor for the coming week. I love the engraving (not etching) on this old Kobar razor. It’s nothing fancy but the maker had obviously set out to do as functional a product as possible. I love the sound of a really hollow razor and this one makes the stubble scream out loud in agony while being moved down.

I face lathered with an Omega 49 synthetic brush using Wickham Shangri La shaving soap (musky Rose scent). This is not one of the cheap soaps mentioned above, but it’s one of my favourites.

After the shave I used my usual Bison horse butt strop, Nivea face cream and ended by putting Aramis Calligraphy Rose EdP on my face. I like rose scents, always have and always will. I don't care much if some men don't find rose scents to be manly enough. I've never bothered about what men think of rose scents as long as their wifes like it when I wear them.

I wish you all a very nice weekend.

View attachment 1140250

Nice Kobar Arne [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunday's Shave
'181 Layer Random'
DSCN2265.JPG

Geo. Wostenholm & Son
D.R. Harris Marlborough
Semogue 1460
Miller Strop
Thayer Lemon
Clubman Pinaud
20200816_094354.jpg

I didn't particularly like this soap with the GEM razors......with SR's I find it completely satisfactory. Its a stout soap that can take a beating and smile back at you.

be well all.

camo

I was looking at buying this exact TI. How do you like it?
the non show side has more took out of it for the bevel. from reading I expected some irregularities from this manufacturer as this seems to be the norm for them.

with this said she was flat on the stones as could be and touched up with no problems.

bottom line........I like the weight and feel of this razor. the scales are on the cheap side. the blade deserves better.

camo

the non show side has more took out of it for the bevel. from reading I expected some irregularities from this manufacturer as this seems to be the norm for them.

with this said she was flat on the stones as could be and touched up with no problems.

bottom line........I like the weight and feel of this razor. the scales are on the cheap side. the blade deserves better.

camo

This is pretty much in line with what I have read about them, too.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Had an incredible shave today.

Actually, spectacular.

It was my 25th straight razor shave, ever...and Im pretty happy with my progression.

I’m learning that a wetter face lather is better for straight razor shaving. Being that I grow a thick beard, the wetter lather helps to keep the stubble on my face moister/softer for longer. It also helps the straight razor glide better.

Less pressure on the straight razor is definitely helping my routine. And ATG shaving under the chin, where the whiskers are the thickest, are much more confident now.

The Captains Choice balms are my best, scented, balms. They are borderline watery, and absorb incredibly well, and fast. No oily film, and moisturizes my face and head incredibly.

For a non-scented balm, Soap Commanders “Integrity” line (Unscented) is the best for me so far. Not as watery and fast-absorbing as Captains Choice. But it also doesn’t leave an oily film when dry, it absorbs quickly, and it moisturizes the skin incredibly well.

The Captains Choice Sandalwood scent is great. Subtle and elegant. A tiny touch of sweetness. But it doesn’t clash nasty - and compete - with the sandalwood scent...like TOBS did. (Which I absolutely hated).

Awesome shave.

Shaved my head with a Carbon Shaving CX-316L DE razor, and Personna Med Prep blades. (Also spectacular).

Feeling gütt, and ready to crush the world.

Razor: WH Morley & Sons
Lather: Captains Choice Sandalwood
Balm: Captains Choice Sandalwood
Splash: Captains Choice Sandalwood
Brush: WCS Beacon (silvertip)
Bowl: Captains Choice (large)

13798BAB-F26E-431A-9CC1-D2AEF07984EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Wostenholme
PXL_20200817_142458729-01.jpeg

Geo. Wostenholme & Sons
Caisson Shaving Co. BOHICA
Rick Montalvo
Tabac AS and EdC

Abandoned MicroMatic Monday in favor of the straight today because I missed yesterday's shave altogether. I also abandoned Arko August because I need to do a fair evaluation if this soap.

It's been awhile since I used the Wosty and that's a shame. It made short work of two day's growth and left me with zero irritation. A truly gentle and forgiving blade.

And I made progress with this soap. It would seem to NOT be as thirsty as I first thought, and it would seem to really hate the heat of my scuttle. I got a great, protective lather from cool water with my unheated-scuttle-used-as-a-bowl.

Had an incredible shave today.

Actually, spectacular.

It was my 25th straight razor shave, ever...and Im pretty happy with my progression.

I’m learning that a wetter face lather is better for straight razor shaving. Being that I grow a thick beard, the wetter lather helps to keep the stubble on my face moister/softer for longer. It also helps the straight razor glide better.

Less pressure on the straight razor is definitely helping my routine. And ATG shaving under the chin, where the whiskers are the thickest, are much more confident now.

The Captains Choice balms are my best, scented, balms. They are borderline watery, and absorb incredibly well, and fast. No oily film, and moisturizes my face and head incredibly.

For a non-scented balm, Soap Commanders “Integrity” line (Unscented) is the best for me so far. Not as watery and fast-absorbing as Captains Choice. But it also doesn’t leave an oily film when dry, it absorbs quickly, and it moisturizes the skin incredibly well.

The Captains Choice Sandalwood scent is great. Subtle and elegant. A tiny touch of sweetness. But it doesn’t clash nasty - and compete - with the sandalwood scent...like TOBS did. (Which I absolutely hated).

Awesome shave.

Shaved my head with a Carbon Shaving CX-316L DE razor, and Personna Med Prep blades. (Also spectacular).

Feeling gütt, and ready to crush the world.

Razor: WH Morley & Sons
Lather: Captains Choice Sandalwood
Balm: Captains Choice Sandalwood
Splash: Captains Choice Sandalwood
Brush: WCS Beacon (silvertip)
Bowl: Captains Choice (large)

View attachment 1141222

nice morley.....

around shave 80ish thru 100 I would suggest trying a little thicker lather. you are right, in the beginning wet/slick is 🤴.

this is just my own observation and experience being a newcomer.

camo

PUMA 52

Hi Str8 Shavers, it’s been awhile since I posted but today I thought would be a great day to jump back in the waters. We are living in some very interesting times my friends having said that I hope all is well with you all. I’m employing the Puma for the week excluding tomorrow which is reserved for a Torrey
B1440222-50F1-44AD-883B-8194BFEAB086.jpeg

Top Bottom