What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Gold Dollar 300, slightly modified.

gd300.jpg

I’m so eager for tomorrow’s shave I got everything out and took a picture tonight. :001_302:

proxy.php
A great looking razor.

I think I'm beginning to realise that there are people that might find us a bit spooky or weird, like some sort of Igors that cant wait for the next brain to be delivered.:em2100:

Mondays Shave
7/8 T.I Wolf and Ram Sheffield Steel
Had several days of growth .The 7/8 T.I. removed it with no effort .Lovely smooth shave with its Sheffield steel. I feel human again with a smooth shaved face.
rps20180626_090916_941.jpg

Tuesday Shave
6/8 Ralf Aust
Had a super close shave with this Aust blade.Razor handles extremely well.Takes a super keen edge .Very happy with this maker of straights razors.
rps20180626_090948_848.jpg

I have a little 5/8 Ralf Aust with plastic scales that I prefer over many other, more expensive and flashy looking razors. It so routinely takes a good edge thatI use it as my benchmark when experimenting with a new stone or honing technique. Based on my specimen and your (and other’s) experiences it’s clear to me that Ralf Aust makes great razors!!

Mondays Shave
7/8 T.I Wolf and Ram Sheffield Steel
Had several days of growth .The 7/8 T.I. removed it with no effort .Lovely smooth shave with its Sheffield steel. I feel human again with a smooth shaved face.
View attachment 893468
Hmm sounds nice to feel human.:alien: I'm always trying to find an excuse to buy another TI, but having five I really can't justify it. Then again if you keep posting this one...

Tuesday Shave
6/8 Ralf Aust
Had a super close shave with this Aust blade.Razor handles extremely well.Takes a super keen edge .Very happy with this maker of straights razors.
View attachment 893469
So am I. Actually I have nothing whatsoever to say against the artisan I refer to as "The uncrowned king of Solingen"

I have a little 5/8 Ralf Aust with plastic scales that I prefer over many other, more expensive and flashy looking razors. It so routinely takes a good edge thatI use it as my benchmark when experimenting with a new stone or honing technique. Based on my specimen and your (and other’s) experiences it’s clear to me that Ralf Aust makes great razors!!
Amen

Henry Martin, Hamburg, Germany
Yesterday's shave.
This is another that needs to go back the the stones.
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Another great shave with my 133 Red Imp. Between this and my Henckels 472, the rest of my vintage razors don't get used much anymore.
SOTS062618.JPG

Mi

Minimalism is great. My advice is that you stick to those two undoubtedly top of the line razors and loose the rest. I know a really good place where you can dump them for free. Trust me.:angel:

What a guy! :lol:
There's really only two other vintage razors in my small collection: a user grade 02 Bismarck and a Henckels 13 (that a previous owner aggressively polished with a dremel and shows some corrosion at the pivot).

After that there's just my Dovo Best, an heirloom razor from my step-dad, a Bluesman and my Koraat. So... 6 keepers?

What a guy! :lol:
There's really only two other vintage razors in my small collection: a user grade 02 Bismarck and a Henckels 13 (that a previous owner aggressively polished with a dremel and shows some corrosion at the pivot).

After that there's just my Dovo Best, an heirloom razor from my step-dad, a Bluesman and my Koraat. So... 6 keepers?

I'll try to be serious, it's hard and stomach churning, but I'll try. I've been thinking about this strange word "minimalist" and I've tried to figure out what it actually means. I've come to the conclusion that a truly minimalistic straight razor setup is either one (There can be only one (dang I couldn't keep myself from writing that)) razor or nine razors. The one razor policy doesn't need to be explained. The nine razors does.

Once you've got your technique in place the brand really doesn't matter much for your shaving experience, but the size and grind does. So to have a nearly full set of shaving opportunities (excluding my very much liked razors that are outside of the common size span 4/8-6/8) but still having as few razors as possible I get the 3*3 matrix below. It would be up to each and everyone to fill it to his liking, but in my eyes it would be a true minimalist collection. I filled it according to my personal preferences.

I am not a minimalist which some of you might have noticed.

In short: Jack six isn't enough you need at least three more.:001_tt2:

razor chart.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try to be serious, it's hard and stomach churning, but I'll try. I've been thinking about this strange word "minimalist" and I've tried to figure out what it actually means. I've come to the conclusion that a truly minimalistic straight razor setup is either one (There can be only one (dang I couldn't keep myself from writing that)) razor or nine razors. The one razor policy doesn't need to be explained. The nine razors does.

Once you've got your technique in place the brand really doesn't matter much for your shaving experience, but the size and grind does. So to have a nearly full set of shaving opportunities (excluding my very much liked razors that are outside of the common size span 4/8-6/8) but still having as few razors as possible I get the 3*3 matrix below. It would be up to each and everyone to fill it to his liking, but in my eyes it would be a true minimalist collection. I filled it according to my personal preferences.

PM sent.

J.A. Hellberg 4/8 half hollow.

View attachment 893640

Another beautiful example from an outstanding collection.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

As a confirmed minimalist, only two DEs and two brushes after 54 years of shaving, I’ve been considering a seven day set of GD66’s. Re-scaled of course. :001_tongu

Top Bottom