What's new

What stones with adze marks?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I’ve seen chisel/tool marks on old rustic Coticules and have two primitive translucent arks that were shaped with a hammer or similar tool on all sides but one.

I have an unidentified vintage or two with them... but I kind of assumed they may well be jnats partly due to the chisel marks.

I've seen arks with them... and I believe I recall some charnleys and the like with chisel marks.

I’ve seen chisel/tool marks on old rustic Coticules and have two primitive translucent arks that were shaped with a hammer or similar tool on all sides but one.

would to see pic of the ark if at all possible. thanks.

camo

Last edited:

David

would to see pic of the ark if at all.possible. thanks.

camo
Here ya go!
B584BB03-E08E-4970-BF43-04C0AA3BADCA.jpeg
AA8CAA1D-83D3-4787-B760-BE6EA51C435F.jpeg
299C6F62-8CC5-4FBE-91F7-962D7CFFF664.jpeg

Thanks guys.

Ian, it was actually that coffin shaped stone that had me wondering. I often keep stones face down on my bench to prevent accidental hits, oil, debris etc. I noticed it had scolloped cuts in the back. The only time I recall seeing that was on older jnats and just got me wondering what all stones were cut and prepared in this way. I have some stones with obvious chisel marks or even what appear to be draw knife marks. But not sure I have seen what look like adze cuts outside of Japanese stones. Always the super old stones that have these cool hewn marks.

666F3827-4B77-438C-9602-74E02F76FB64.jpeg
00F4CBC1-BE9C-4EDF-AE8E-5AE77F673390.jpeg

An adze is a wood working(timber) tool.
A "Sen" I believe, is a stone chisel used in Jnat processing by hand. Typically a narrow one at that, to help the stone lay flatter.
I have only ever seen them on Jnats. A brick hammer or Jewelers hammer (Shawshank Redemption) may have been employed in the West but the marks will be slightly different.

David

These don't really look like deliberate tool marks to me.
There are no hard sides defining a chisel or stop marks of any kind. They look more natural to me.
They are flaked off, quite similar to how one would remove stock while making an arrowhead out of obsidian. Holding them on your hand you can see how someone has shaped them to size/shape.

Top Bottom