What's new

What Soap Do You Consider The Best Value?

"Value" is very much YMMV. What others consider a good value may not suit you.
+1.
And I am not sure I totally agree with @MrMoJoe "I think we can almost universally agree on a basic working definition. How about a good shave at a relatively low cost? The better the shave and the lower the cost, the better the value."

Putting my doubts aside and using @MrMoJoe 's working definition , Stirling represents great value. For that matter so does Saponificio Varesino, given how many quality shaves I can expect from one puck.

OTOH, Grooming Dept represents great value to me because of the enhanced pleasure I get from each shave. But it would fail the above recited test.

I suspect (not having ever used it) that I would not consider What the Puck! soaps to represent great value because I would have to force myself to use them over much higher (I assume) quality soaps from Noble Otter, Declaration Grooming, Wholly Kaw, The Club, Zingari Man, Barrister and Mann etc. They would soon find their way to the back of my soap cabinet likely to never again see the light of day. I would have wasted my money.

Last edited:
+1.
And I am not sure I totally agree with @MrMoJoe "I think we can almost universally agree on a basic working definition. How about a good shave at a relatively low cost? The better the shave and the lower the cost, the better the value."

Putting my doubts aside and using @MrMoJoe 's working definition , Stirling represents great value. For that matter so does Saponificio Varesino, given how many quality shaves I can expect from one puck.

OTOH, Grooming Dept represents great value to me because of the enhanced pleasure I get from each shave. But it would fail the above recited test.

I suspect (not having ever used it) that I would not consider What the Puck! soaps to represent great value because I would have to force myself to use them over much higher (I assume) quality soaps from Noble Otter, Declaration Grooming, Wholly Kaw, The Club, Zingari Man, Barrister and Mann etc. They would soon find their way to the back of my soap cabinet likely to never again see the light of day. I would have wasted my money.
Zactly!
A “cheap” soap that I never use is of no value. It’s not about how much it cost. It’s about how much it’s worth.

My worst high-end soap was MdC. I gave it to my son-in-law after 5 shaves.
My worst low-end soap was Col Conk, tossed in the trash after 1 shave.

After 10 years, the soaps that work best for me (hence best value) are in the $15-20 range: Captain's Choice, Stirling, DRH refills and a few others that are no longer in business.

I'll just repeat, Tabac, no extra praise needed, a kilo of Cella lasts me over 2 years, Then there's Arko stick, bowl pressed, lasts a few months. opps almost forgot Dr. Harris another great soap.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I like Stirling soaps and find MWF to be a good deal considering the amount of soap for the price. For price/performance can’t beat Arko.

+1.

I guess my definition needs some tweaking. Cost has to be a consideration, however, else we are just talking about our favorite soaps (irrespective of cost). Cost, while not the only factor, is an integral component of value. Using your example of Grooming Dept, I think most would agree that it would be an even better value at a lower cost. Similarly, any other soap that provides an equally good, enjoyable shave at a lower cost would be a better value. My definition may have been inadequate, but that's all I'm getting at. As for What The Puck! soaps, I have used some of the other soaps you mention, and I do not in any way find them to be of much higher quality. Of course if you simply did not like any soap enough to use it, it would be of little value to you. I was just trying to point out that while individual preference plays a role, there is a general understanding of what is menat by "value" regarding shaving products, and therefore there is some commonality regarding which soaps people consider to be good value.

Zactly!
A “cheap” soap that I never use is of no value. It’s not about how much it cost. It’s about how much it’s worth.

I don't disagree with that at all, and did not mean to imply that I did. I made a very poor attempt to qualify that with the "good shave" comment. Bang for the buck, if you will, and obviously if you choose not to use it, there's very little "bang". I'm just trying establish that cost is a factor when talking about value; not the only one, but an integral one.

Certainly not lowest cost per shave, but best *value* for me (which can occur at any price point) is SV, as it give me the best combination of performance, fragrance, price and longevity (cost per shave).

I don't disagree with that at all, and did not mean to imply that I did. I made a very poor attempt to qualify that with the "good shave" comment. Bang for the buck, if you will, and obviously if you choose not to use it, there's very little "bang". I'm just trying establish that cost is a factor when talking about value; not the only one, but an integral one.
Ha
On a relative scale more bang can be found on a less expensive soap. Yes. Maths and all.
I just don’t seem to enjoy the less expensive offerings. Sooooo no maths needed.

Not a soap per se but I bought Art of Shaving creams from TJMaxx for $10. Best performing anything I've ever used. Of all the soaps I have(Martin De Candre, SV, Bulgari Man in Black etc..) the AoS cream performs better.

highlander.jpeg

williams2.jpeg

Ha
On a relative scale more bang can be found on a less expensive soap. Yes. Maths and all.
I just don’t seem to enjoy the less expensive offerings. Sooooo no maths needed.

If you don't enjoy it, then there's not much bang (for the buck). I totally agree that a relatively expensive soap could be considered a good value.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Best value for me is MdC. I still use WK even though it's expensive, but that's just self-indulgence - not value.

I'm not looking at just price though. I'm considering a combination of price and performance (conceding that performance can vary from person to person) and looking for soaps that perform very well while also being less expensive than most high end artisan soaps on a per shave basis.

I've never used Williams but would consider it if it performs well. So far I've got Stirling, A&E, Wholly Kaw, Dr Jon's, Saponificio Varesino, and Shannon's Soaps and I'm looking to include one more soap before I start tracking usage in a spreadsheet.

I'm just curious to see what it actually costs to use these soaps and to see for myself how long they last. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a data geek.

If you’re looking at price. You can’t beat proraso at Marshals for 5 dollars. It’s readily available there and you’ll never find a better cheaper alternative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of posts here, but couldn't find it listed...I recently tried Stubble Buster. Scents are lighter, but they smell nice. Most importantly, performance is great.

At $9 for a 4oz tub, it beats a lot of the bigger artisan brands. It's not going to take on Arko or the like, but it's really good IMO and reasonably priced.

A lot of posts here, but couldn't find it listed...I recently tried Stubble Buster. Scents are lighter, but they smell nice. Most importantly, performance is great.

At $9 for a 4oz tub, it beats a lot of the bigger artisan brands. It's not going to take on Arko or the like, but it's really good IMO and reasonably priced.

I have stubble buster grunge. It’s awesome.

Top Bottom