What's new

What Soap/AS scents do you consider to be “old man” Scents?

Most of my favorite aftershaves have been around forever and Old Men wore them when I was a kid. I prefer to call them Classic's but I can see how they could be called Old Man scents. SWMBO loves these in particular so I'm going to keep wearing them:

Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Aqua Velva Musk
Old Spice
Skin Bracer
Pinaud Clubman
Grey Flannel
Chaps

My 20 year daughter like them also. She to her boyfriend to stop wearing AXE Body spray and to wear Old Spice if he wanted to smell like a man.

For starters, I don't think you should care what anyone thinks, as long as YOU like it.

I'm 47, my boys are 17 and 15 and frankly... if they like some of my fragrances, be it an AS, EDT or EDP, they're welcome to use it, but if they don't it's their problem, not mine. My wife really likes Brut, the original one and I wear it sometimes. It's a classic, but I also like Davidoff Cool Watrer, YSL Kouros, Dior Eau Sauvage (not the modern Sauvage) and Fahrenheit, Aramis Havana... which are all very, very different scents.

I think the whole notion of an "old man scent" is ridiculous. We can talk about "classics" and there some scents that are heavy on powder are considered classics barbershop, but so is AdP which is floral scent and 4711 which is citrusy and regarded as unisex.
I definitely don‘t care what anyone (except my wife) thinks and that isn‘t why I started this thread.

The comment my son made wasn’t intended to be anything other than a younger person’s thought/impression of the scent I was wearing. I thought it was an amusing and interesting take on a scent I believe to be fairly modern and the idea of “older Person” scents worthy of discussion.

Personally, I always think of sandalwood and what we call barbershop as scents that a gentleman a generation or two older than me would wear. Mainly as my grandfather was a barber and always wore Sandalwood AS.

Tabac. I find PdP 63 to be like that (sorry, folks!). SV Manna. I find B&M Reserve Lavender to have an old man Lavender scent too....might just be me.
That’s funny as I love PdP 63 and don’t consider it an old fashioned scent at all. Interesting how scents can be perceived so differently!

Most of my favorite aftershaves have been around forever and Old Men wore them when I was a kid. I prefer to call them Classic's but I can see how they could be called Old Man scents. SWMBO loves these in particular so I'm going to keep wearing them:

Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Aqua Velva Musk
Old Spice
Skin Bracer
Pinaud Clubman
Grey Flannel
Chaps

My 20 year daughter like them also. She to her boyfriend to stop wearing AXE Body spray and to wear Old Spice if he wanted to smell like a man.

Did he swing his murse at her when she said that?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Although I do not have the product, I've heard that Tabac has a scent akin to an old ladies potpourri-scented handbag. But that's old lady...not old man. I have B&M Waves soap. That's an aquatic scent. Has Aquatic been classified as old already?

Maybe old classic scents like Old Spice would be considered something an old man would wear. I have it and I'm only 53. It's a nice scent...it's just been around a while. What would your son consider hip and now?

Pinaud Special Reserve may fall under that category. I use it in Bootlegger's El Dorado.

Last edited:
Although I do not have the product, I've heard that Tabac has a scent akin to an old ladies potpourri-scented handbag. But that's old lady...not old man. I have B&M Waves soap. That's an aquatic scent. Has Aquatic been classified as old already?

Maybe old classic scents like Old Spice would be considered something an old man would wear. I have it and I'm only 53. It's a nice scent...it's just been around a while. What would your son consider hip and now?

Pinaud Special Reserve may fall under that category. I use it in Bootlegger's El Dorado.
Re aquatic "old man status" IDK, but it's one of my fav scent profiles, think Davidoff Cool Water. Been wearing it since my high school days and still have a bottle on my shelf @ 47. Fair to say it's a keeper 😂

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Re aquatic "old man status" IDK, but it's one of my fav scent profiles, think Davidoff Cool Water. Been wearing it since my high school days and still have a bottle on my shelf @ 47. Fair to say it's a keeper 😂

I agree. My favorite soap is an aquatic, Goodfellas'Smile Abysso. Doesn't smell "old man" to me. I was under the impression that aquatic scents were more on the youthful side...but, maybe I'm mistaken.

I agree. My favorite soap is an aquatic, Goodfellas'Smile Abysso. Doesn't smell "old man" to me. I was under the impression that aquatic scents were more on the youthful side...but, maybe I'm mistaken.
Well, I like how the ocean breeze smells, just as I like how a mountain lake smells, so any of those "aquatics" is always gonna be around in my den 😊

Brut and Old Spice is what comes to my mind, but a lot of things are timeless.

I would flip the table on him and comment that a scent he wears reminds you of something your father used to wear. :em2300:

I'm with @Rustyshackelford : I think young men my son's age think that what I consider "classic" they consider "old man!"

They are wrong, of course. My classic scents are: Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva, Pinaud Clubman.

I'm finally retired. I worked hard. I can smell any DANGED way I want!
Now you know that’s not true. Mrs. Tan would certainly not let you come in the house smelly from a day’s work without saying something about it. Would she?

Top Bottom