What's new

What Soap/AS scents do you consider to be “old man” Scents?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Most of my favorite aftershaves have been around forever and Old Men wore them when I was a kid. I prefer to call them Classic's but I can see how they could be called Old Man scents. SWMBO loves these in particular so I'm going to keep wearing them:

Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Aqua Velva Musk
Old Spice
Skin Bracer
Pinaud Clubman
Grey Flannel
Chaps

My 20 year daughter like them also. She to her boyfriend to stop wearing AXE Body spray and to wear Old Spice if he wanted to smell like a man.
Good on her! My son is an Axe man. And 20.

When I was 20 I wore British Sterling, lol. What a stud. No wonder the girls ALWAYS turned me down for dates. They were OBVIOUSLY inti
Now you know that’s not true. Mrs. Tan would certainly not let you come in the house smelly from a day’s work without saying something about it. Would she?
I do TRY to smell nice for her. FEAR is a huge motivator!
+2! I remember when I considered 35 ‘old!’ :a5:
Yes, me too! I can remember looking forward to "25" because my car insurance premiums would go down!

So some entitled youngster says you smell like an old man. That's not a proper "thank you" for you raising him a quarter of a century. But seriously, this whole thread bothers me. Me: old, no wife or kids, my schedule and habits are mine alone. So maybe I shouldn't comment, but I do think the kid should mind his own business and maybe express a little gratitude to his father, instead of uninformed judgments.

My wife thinks that sandelwood is an old mans smell. I had proraso red soap& aftershave splash in my den and my son (almost 15) who shaves his moustache every now and then used the proraso red from my den. My wife hated that, and also finds me too young for sandelwood. So i sold it. Personally i really liked it when i purchased it almost a year ago, but after discovering more scents i more prefer fresher scents.

So some entitled youngster says you smell like an old man. That's not a proper "thank you" for you raising him a quarter of a century. But seriously, this whole thread bothers me. Me: old, no wife or kids, my schedule and habits are mine alone. So maybe I shouldn't comment, but I do think the kid should mind his own business and maybe express a little gratitude to his father, instead of uninformed judgments.
Really? Did you even bother read thru the thread?

“I shouldn’t comment” was the only intelligent part of your post.

Likely a blessing that you don’t have kids...

Really? Did you even bother read thru the thread?

“I shouldn’t comment” was the only intelligent part of your post.

Likely a blessing that you don’t have kids...
I am sorry. I did read through the thread before I posted my reply, and again just now, so I wouldn't be commenting from a position of ignorance.

My mistake was answering rudeness towards another ("You smell like an old man") with rudeness of my own. For that breach of good manners, I apologize.

Let's agree to avoid ad hominem attacks.

Last edited:
Whatever scents I like are by definition “old man scents.” Those my grandkids like are “young man scents.” Sometimes they also are crossovers. Slap a little of both kinds on and confuse everyone. 🙀😁

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
When I were a lad the likes of Old Spice, Brut and Blue Stratos I considered old man, in the 80's I wanted Insignia and Pierre Cardin cos I was young.
Now I'm older I have more sense and they are classic scents that remind me of my father shaving ready for a night out. I realise that it is not about smelling old, it is about the feelings and nostalgia these smells evoke and that when I was young I just didn't understand nostalgia.

I am no longer permitted to wear Canoe AS. The "old man" comments come from all directions, including SWMBO, who just a few years ago, said she loved the stuff.

Shoot, I am an old man. It was 39 years ago...

I do not mind smelling like an old man. I am an old man and all the old ladies like me and the alternative to being an old man is the marble orchard.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I was in my early 20s I read as many of Robert B Parker's Spenser novels as I could find. He (and Spenser) used Clubman all the time, so that's when I started using it. I was already using a brush and Williams soap because my father thought it was stupid to use a brush. This all happened in the mid- late 70s.

When I was in my early 20s I read as many of Robert B Parker's Spenser novels as I could find. He (and Spenser) used Clubman all the time, so that's when I started using it. I was already using a brush and Williams soap because my father thought it was stupid to use a brush. This all happened in the mid- late 70s.
Wow. I forgot all about Spenser and Clubman. I read a ton of those books!

Top Bottom