What's new

What should I try next?

My new found interest in shaving has led me to buy a lot stuff to get started. My wife likes my well gr8omed face but she gives me that look when I tell her the cost of shaving soaps/creams. So, I need to keep it to one new product a month or there abouts. I already have a puck of TOBS sandalwood and a lifetime supply of Bigelow cream.

So, what soap/cream should I try next? Money is not an issue. Any fragrance that doesn't smell like women's perfume is fine.

Money isn't an issue?, well there is only one way to settle this and go straight to MDC (Martin De Candre) Fougere.

Done.:thumbup:

Tabac is a nice choice for autumn, but the scent can be off-putting for some (I really like it!).

Anything from DR Harris is top-quality too, IMO.

HTGAM Synergy or Ginger's Gardens are both top soaps, as is Maggard's and RazorRock.

The flip side of her argument/look is that while the products may have a higher price than a can of goo, the amount of shaves from a single product negates the cost of it.

For me, I can get about 10 shaves from 0.1oz of HTGAM Synergy. That's right, 100 shaves per ounce. If it's $16 for an 8oz tin, that's $2/oz or (at my rate of usage) about $0.02/shave. And if an 8oz puck gives me somewhere around 800 shaves, that's over 2 years of daily shaving.

Granted, I am one of the more extreme cases, but there was a guy who got about 10 months of shaves out of a large jar of MdC, and on average, each product will last between 2-3 months, unless you're one of those guys who "loads it like he hates it", in which case it'll last a shorter time. So overall, the cost per shave is negligible, it's that one time purchase cost that is the concern.

MdC is about 80 bucks delivered to the US....yikes! Maybe I can get friend to pick some up for me the next time he is in Parisand ship it through the mail, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I am unsure, I'm just going to buy each soap in order, so Dr Harris is this month. Please keep them coming.

MdC is about 80 bucks delivered to the US....yikes! Maybe I can get friend to pick some up for me the next time he is in Parisand ship it through the mail, lol.
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I am unsure, I'm just going to buy each soap in order, so Dr Harris is this month. Please keep them coming.
It is cheaper than that....although still expensive.
For their classic soap(non-Fougère), the 40€ jar direct is 32,92€ for US customers (you're saving the 20% Value Added Tax since you live outside France). However shipping is 18,80€.
So the price is 52,72€ or $68.

You'd add about $4 for the Fougère. But no need really - other than a stronger fragrance it's no better a performer. You can shave(!) a few bucks off the price by sticking with the classic formulation.
Also, this soap is air-dried for months before being offered for sale, and so the cake is extremely dense. They claim that you'll get more than a year of shaving daily from a single jar. I bought a jar 2 months ago and I have barely dented it.
Suddenly....MdC is looking downright cheap, right? :thumbup1:

Seriously though, it's really an excellent product and noone should be without a jar of it IMO.

Last edited:
Btw, where do you folks buy your shaving soaps? I usually use Amazon, but they don't always have the best prices if shipping is not free.

It is cheaper than that....although still expensive.
For their classic soap(non-Fougère), the 40€ jar direct is 32,92€ for US customers (you're saving the 20% Value Added Tax since you live outside France). However shipping is 18,80€.
So the price is 52,72€ or $68.

You'd add about $4 for the Fougère. But no need really - other than a stronger fragrance it's no better a performer. You can shave(!) a few bucks off the price by sticking with the classic formulation.
Also, this soap is air-dried for months before being offered for sale, and so the cake is extremely dense. They claim that you'll get more than a year of shaving daily from a single jar. I bought a jar 2 months ago and I have barely dented it.
Suddenly....MdC is looking downright cheap, right? :thumbup1:

Seriously though, it's really an excellent product and noone should be without a jar of it IMO.
Hmm, that sounds a bit better. I could also buy a soap for the wife and tell her that I love her so much I ordered the finest soap in the world just for her...spared no expense. You can't put a price on love, right? :thumbup:

RazoRock and Stirling are among the most popular and recommended soaps on this forum. From my experience, they are superb and you can't go wrong with any of their offerings. Italianbarber.com has a wide variety of RR and other soaps, and stirlingsoaps.com is your Stirling source.

RR & Stirling's may be popular & recommended but they should not even be in this post as the op has stated money is not a problem. Neither are remotely close to MdC, Harris or T&H 1805.

We should all be so lucky that money is no issue.

However, I recommend RR & Stirling because they are excellent soaps that many people love, regardless of price. I thought the OP might like to hear these options too, and check out the purveyors of said items.

To each their own! :)

The op bought up the issue of price so if that's what he wants, then let's reccomend Floris, Pen's, MdC, & the rest of the good high dollar creams & soaps. I have most of the low end ones & many of the high end ones. No doubt you can shave with all of them. If the op wants to spend the money, then we at least need to tell him what the good high end ones are. The only soap I have ever owned that I could not shave at all with was caswell Massey.

Let me clarify. I am not too worried about price, but I am interested in quality. Like fine wine, a low price doesn't necessarily mean the wine isn't high quality. I am interested hearing about what people like, regardless of cost. For example, I love Bigelow, but it costs almost nothing; especially since my local BBW is closing in a few months. With so many choices, I just want some advice on what to try first, since I have little experience beyond TOBS, Bigelow, and Barbasol, lol.

Top Bottom