What's new

What shave equipment DIDN’T you buy today

This afternoon, at the office, I received a package from Connaught’s with a puck of MWF (which I had never tried before), 30 GSB and 10 Wilkinson Sword blades.

I was really looking forward to receiving that package. Both the soap AND the blades.

On my way home I stopped at a drug store and picked up a pack with 4 Enox blades - pretty much the only thing you can find here in Brazil.

I was about to pay for the things I had got when I looked at the blades and thought: “What the hell?! I just got 40 blades and am about to get 4 more. Not only that, but blades I can and usually do live without!”. I left the blades there and bought what I was actually looking for (not shaving stuff).

There’s a difference between “window shopping”, “fancying something”, “changing your mind”, etc. and “NOT buying it”, when you stop right before actually buying something.

Maybe you regret it. Maybe you don’t. I’m actually glad I left those blades there.

So, what DIDN’T you buy today?

PS. I got home and tried the MWF (just lathered it, without shaving). Easier than canned foam. I’m convinced that the kind of water you have accounts for “85%” of how a soap leathers.

PS2. On the not so good note, I was not immediately convinced by the scent...

This should be an interesting thread Cesare, ..... nice idea ! I've had many instances of "not buying something"
when I put different items into an on-line shopping cart (whether it be at West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber,
Maggard's, etc.) and then changed my mind before hitting the checkout button. Sometimes the excitement
of shopping fades away, luckily for my wallet (LOL !), before I actually make the purchase.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Didn’t buy a certain strop that’s well regarded on this forum and has some availability now. Shipping to Canada is half the price of the strop, and once you account for exchange rate things don’t make sense anymore. I’m still eyeing the great work and perhaps down the road things may change. For now I’ll make due.

I came remarkably close to buying number 3 and number 4 Dovo straight razors. One was a Bismarck, the other a Bergischer. Had them in the basket and fully convinced myself this was what the stimulus check was for. Then I realized I needed to pay for my infusion. And that shut down that website pretty damn quick! Rabbit hole successfully avoided.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Euromax blades were given to me. Not earth shattering but appreciated.
621C37C7-4587-4059-888B-1AB87FCF4EAB.jpeg

This should be an interesting thread Cesare, ..... nice idea ! I've had many instances of "not buying something"
when I put different items into an on-line shopping cart (whether it be at West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber,
Maggard's, etc.) and then changed my mind before hitting the checkout button. Sometimes the excitement
of shopping fades away, luckily for my wallet (LOL !), before I actually make the purchase.
Thank you, Adam!

i'm always snooping online for stuff and reading reviews and then looking and thinking really hard about buying whatever it is I'm looking at, but I refuse really to pull the trigger on a new replacement item until I throw that item in the bin and 86 it. I have about 2 uses left in my bottle of proraso blue balm, and I want to get the green balm and sure I could order it today and have it in a week or less, but who knows I might change my mind, or I might go a month and not use what's left of that bottle of Proraso balm.....it's all about timing for me.

I tried to instill this method with my kids (SWMBO was already set in her ways when I met her).

There are things you actually need. Can't shave without a razor, but you don't "need" more then one. The things you need go in the cart/basket and get purchased.

Then there are the things you "want"; a second, third, fourth razor, or a stockpile of 40,000 blades. "Wants" get divided into two groups; "Really, really want" and "Just want".

The "Really, really, wants" go into the "Save for later"and occasionally get moved into the cart/basket as a treat when funds allow or they become "Needs".

The "Just wants" never get purchased or even given a second thought.

With this method I don't have to second guess at checkout and so I don't "not buy" anything.

I was in a store today that actually had some wet shaving stuff and almost bought a tin of Taconic Eucalyptus and Mint. But I have other soaps that are higher on my list to try.

I did not buy a full tub of Stirling Electric Sheep. That's on the list of things that I want, but I just got a few Stirling samples and a full tub of Coconut Lime. There is no reason to buy another full tub of soap right now.

On the fence for a zenith horsehair, leaf twig razor and some as, soaps…
Do I need anything nope I can shave for years before anything runs on empty so it’s a Britney…..

Great question!

I was looking to ‘fill up’ my cart and thought, ‘Blades!’

Then, I recognized I have enough for the next decade or so! :mad2: :mad2:

Just be careful, @BigJ: as one of the “Free Spirits” around here you must not let me down! Refrain, but refrain with moderation!!!

I tried to instill this method with my kids (SWMBO was already set in her ways when I met her).

There are things you actually need. Can't shave without a razor, but you don't "need" more then one. The things you need go in the cart/basket and get purchased.

Then there are the things you "want"; a second, third, fourth razor, or a stockpile of 40,000 blades. "Wants" get divided into two groups; "Really, really want" and "Just want".

The "Really, really, wants" go into the "Save for later"and occasionally get moved into the cart/basket as a treat when funds allow or they become "Needs".

The "Just wants" never get purchased or even given a second thought.

With this method I don't have to second guess at checkout and so I don't "not buy" anything.

Ingenious! Although it still takes a certain degree of self discipline.

Just curious: when you say that the SWMBO was “already set in her ways”, you mean that she already practiced that kind of discipline, or that the “actually need” category was pretty much the only category she would acknowledge?!?!

Top Bottom