What's new

What sharpening system do you use?

I've used the Ken onion work sharp, belt sander, paper wheels and freehand. My kitchen gets a working edge 325grit and I don't see a reason to change it. I do have one knife for chopping that is more refined. For my edcs I typically freehand them. But for reprofiling or for an edge that needs more than a touchup I don't hesitate to use power tools.

DMT coarse to Arkansas Washita to Arkansas Medium to Naniwa 2k Big Green Delightful Stone (or whatever it's called). Time consuming but worth it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I tried a Lansky years ago but sold it and went back to the old standbys.

1k oil stone and a 4k? Arkansas.

Stones.JPG

I've got a good collection of stones, including ones used to hone my straight razors, but for all other knives, Lansky does what I need done.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Lansky if I’m in a hurry. Various water stones, some old oil stones that were my grandfathers, and a Washita I picked up at the Saint Sue auction last year if I have more time.

I do not use only one method. Yesterday, I used a small, rough pocket stone and it was very fast on a small knife, maybe 3 or 5 strokes per side. But there was a chip in the blade, and to take out the chip it was maybe 10 or 15 strokes (used it like a file).

The edge was sharp, but had deep scratches. Finished up on Sharpmaker fine stones (just a few strokes).

I had never used one of the small rough stones before, and was surprised at how fast it worked. 3.25 inches long, 1/2 inch wide - very fast.

Legion

Staff member
Lately I’ve put the Spyderco system away and have been practicing freehand honing with the multitude of rocks I have lying around here.

At the moment I am favoring a 10” soft Arkansas followed by an 8” Lynn Idwal hone.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Same as I use in the kitchen, 1000 and 3000 grit water stones. It takes a lot more work to sharpen the Case than it does the carbon steel I use in the kitchen.

Based on the recommendations here - and a desire to keep it simple, silly - I ordered a Lansky Deluxe 33 turn-box system. I have a few pocket knives (nothing fancy) and there's always a kitchen knife needing attention, so I'm hopeful.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just recently I thought I should correct my kitchen knife's angles a little from years of using just the simple Lansky diamond & ceramic system and they had a good price on _liexpress on black Friday for the Ruixin pro knife sharpener, so why not. The Ruixin pro seemed like a good choice for my self, just a hobbyist experimenting.
I am firm believer in that you start at 30 degree included angle and finish just gently with a 40 degree included edge for final edge in this 3 facet face finish similar to a Gem SE blade, basically a surgeons scalpel edge which is the strongest edge. folks really like to get the angles on You tube perfect and mine are just by using a simple inclinometer.
This little system does ever thing I need for kitchen knifes. I strongly suggest to buy the diamond stones, you will be a lot happier IMO.(Thank me later)
(click on Pictures to enlarge) (L) 3 facet edge''''''''''''''''''' (R) Ruixin Pro simple knife sharpner system
GEM blade grind angles.jpg

Ruixin knife sharpner with diamond stones sharpenin my Victornix.jpg

These are the final edge pictures from my recent sharpening of my Victornix knife shown in the top picture, I start out with a 15 degree(30 degree included) and lightly finish the edge with a 20 degree(40 degree included) final edge, I seem to have good luck with this set up for a very strong cutting edge for every day use of my knifes. (About 400X magnification)
Ruixin pro sharpened a Victornox.jpg

Ruixin Pro sharpened my Victorniox 2.jpg

Lansky diamond and ceramic knife sharpener system picture below, works good but the finish is not as good as the Ruixin pro.

Knife sharpening 4.jpg

Lansky Diamond & ceramic Knife sharpening 2.jpg

steak knife 6.jpg

edge finish with Lansky a 3 facet edge. 500X
Nothing beats a sharp knife.

I have a Wicked Edge sharpener that I was fortunate enough to get at a bargain price off Ebay several years ago. couldn’t afford to buy a new one these days. I also have a Lansky I use for smaller pocket knife blades. Ishould try to learn freehand now that I have time, but I’m afraid I’d just be jumping down another rabbit hole.
Jack

Top Bottom