This blade:

proxy.php

Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
That was my first razor

Razor: 1961 Flare tip Superspeed

Blade: Perma-sharp (4)

Soap: Arko stick

A/S: Aqua Velva

After a couple months of not getting along with vintage Gillettes, I finally hit the jackpot. The four razors I recently bought are all great shavers, and today’s shave was the pinnacle of comfort and efficiency - mild, close, smooth.

I was avoiding flare tip Superspeeds because some people claimed that they shaved about the same as the contemporary Techs. This is simply not true.

My 1960 Tech is so mild that I can’t get BBS without scrubbing my face to irritation. It’s a fantastic razor for someone who just wants a good shave with minimal discomfort, but it’s not for me. It’s also pretty sensitive to the shaving angle.

This ‘61 Superspeed is its contemporary but it shaves very differently. Still very mild, but also efficient and not at all sensitive to the angle (either that, or the domed shape makes it easy to naturally set the correct angle).

I also have a later ‘67 black handle SS which is very close - perhaps identical in performance.

So, Superspeeds are not Techs. Very different animals.

I wonder how it would perform with slightly less sharp blades like Astra SP. That’s the next thing to try.

So someone very knowledgeable informed me that I misidentified this Superspeed's age. Sure enough, I misread the letter code. It's actually B-3 so 1956 not 1961. However it does shave very similarly to my black handle 1967, so I wonder if there's any perceptible difference between flare tip SS razors regardless of age.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday May 15, 2024
Razor: Rex Konsul
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Peppermint Trip

I intended to spend most of the day toiling in the soil, but took the time for a very nice shave first. Spent a few hours tilling up weeds where I want to put a garden, and now relaxing and staying out of Mrs. Hippie's way in the kitchen. Pork roast, boiled potatoes and sauerkraut for supper!

O.H.

Modern May 2024

Razor: RazoRock BBS Standard HD (101)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)
Preshave: Hot Shower; Cereve Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm Shaving Brush
Lather: Van der Hagen Luxury Scented Shaving Soap + Cremo Cooling
Aftershave: Cold water rinse;

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close; Very Smooth; Pleasant DFS+ shave.

Cheers!!!

Top Bottom