What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

Razor: 1961 Flare tip Superspeed

Blade: Perma-sharp (4)

Soap: Arko stick

A/S: Aqua Velva

After a couple months of not getting along with vintage Gillettes, I finally hit the jackpot. The four razors I recently bought are all great shavers, and today’s shave was the pinnacle of comfort and efficiency - mild, close, smooth.

I was avoiding flare tip Superspeeds because some people claimed that they shaved about the same as the contemporary Techs. This is simply not true.

My 1960 Tech is so mild that I can’t get BBS without scrubbing my face to irritation. It’s a fantastic razor for someone who just wants a good shave with minimal discomfort, but it’s not for me. It’s also pretty sensitive to the shaving angle.

This ‘61 Superspeed is its contemporary but it shaves very differently. Still very mild, but also efficient and not at all sensitive to the angle (either that, or the domed shape makes it easy to naturally set the correct angle).

I also have a later ‘67 black handle SS which is very close - perhaps identical in performance.

So, Superspeeds are not Techs. Very different animals.

I wonder how it would perform with slightly less sharp blades like Astra SP. That’s the next thing to try.

Attachments

• IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    876.7 KB · Views: 3
May 15th:

Timeless 95 OCSS/Rapira Platinum Lux(3rd)
Light Touch-Up with Rockwell (unknown blade)
Stirling Oud Sigma/30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Stirling Spice Balm
Oud Sigma Cologne

Nice 2-Pass Shave, although the Rockwell can get a couple of areas just a bit closer, as you can hear it find some super find stubble the Timeless will miss. - While it feels BBS, there's an audible indication that the Rockwell still gets just a tiny bit closer.

Brush: Varlet “Gaslamp Somerset” 29mm XD Classic
Blade: Perma Sharp (1)
Soap: Ethos “Tonka Bean” 🫘 F Base
Razor: WR2 Ti SB 1.25 w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle

This was the absolute best shave of my last 6 shaves, there was and is a reason I had narrowed my razors down to one, for me it is the best razor made. It is nice to have variety sometimes, but when I come back to my Wolfman I am home. 🏠

For the next couple of shaves I am going to use the same soap with my other razors.

People were saying that Wolfman‘s are so expensive in US dollars my complete razor currently costs
$445.00.

The Tbird I just bought was $440.00
The Tiback when it goes to regular price will be $380.00

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

💯🥇💯🥇

IMG_4183.jpeg

Doug

Top Bottom