What's new

What nostalgic activities do you partake in?

• I pay cash for most purchases.
  • I shop small mom & pop stores over big box retailers.
  • I hunt
  • I hold doors open
  • I say yes mam and yes sir
  • I too, prefer back roads over interstates

I hate nostalgia more than anything. You block out all the bad stuff and get this silly distorted picture of your past and way too many people take it as true and hence the popularity of the "back in my day, things were so much better" kind of thinking.

Aside from a few exceptions, like maybe the Tintin comics I read, or classic Disney movies, so often when I've revisted something I thought was so much fun or so cool as a kid I now just end up thinking - "man this is crap... how did I like this?"

But yeah, I'm not sure how wet shaving could be nostalgic unless you started off shaving that way then stopped and now you're 60 and decided to give it another go.

As Billy Joel sang, "The good old days weren't always so great"....truer words have never been spoken (sung). Still, a nostalgic look back isn't always or necessarily a realistic look back. We filter out the bad suff because we can, and we savor the better memories. DE razors, mugs 'n brushes as opposed to multiblade cartridges and canned gel are just a couple of tangible things/activities that tie wet shaving back to those nostalgic memories, as much as we may choose to sugar coat them.
I guess Spivey's SOTD thread "Friday Grandpa Shaves" really hit home with me.

Last edited:
I wear pleated slacks with button suspenders, collared shirts with arm garters, I keep my shoes freshly polished, I wear my hair in a low pompador... I'm not really sure if any of that would qualify as nostalgic, but I do particularly enjoy men's styles and accessories of fourties and fifities. I also enjoy classic jazz/big band and rockabilly music.

i want to pick up golf sometime. how big of an investment do you think it takes to really get started?

Well it's like anything... if you decided to get into fun cars you could buy a 1001 hp Bugatti Veyron or an 83' 5.0 mustang, depends on what you want to spend.

I suggest either searching your local craigslist for deals or getting a reasonable full set. Drivers that were 500 dollars (canadian pricing) one or two years ago like a Taylor Made R7/9 can now be found for 125 or even some times less. You want to buy the best you can, while still being able to afford practice.

Since you are just getting into it i would suggest what i tell my friends to do, find a reasonable set of graphite shafted clubs like these top flights: Complete Set They are not the latest and greatest but its a good start and you're more likely to take care of a brand new set. The graphite shafts will also give you more forgiveness that steel.

A great golfer could play a great round with any driver, 5 iron, pitching wedge and putter. So you don't need to get the latest Titelist's to play well. I was shooting mid 80's at about 15 years old with a set worse than what i showed you.

The bulk of the money should be going to practice, find a professional teacher you really get along with and get 2 instructions per month. In between try to play at least one round (the driving range is not golf) and 4 practice sessions. I know that sounds like a lot but its necessary. Golf is the hardest game i've ever been involved in but the reward is amazing. I've played a round with my father once a month since i started years ago and its been a great part of my life. Professionally this is also good, especially for prospective clients. A 500 dollar day can turn into much more.

Besides all this do not take your golf game seriously for a year at the very least. You will start and you will suck, but at one point so did Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. The only way to get better is with practice. I hope you do pick it up, there's nothing like working all week at your desk then going out for 5 hours on Sunday at a beautiful location and chasing a little dimpled ball.

In My Hand I Hold A Ball,
White And Dimpled, Rather Small.
Oh, How Bland It Does Appear,
This Harmless Looking Little Sphere.

By It's Size I Could Not Guess,
The Awesome Strength It Does Possess.
But Since I Fell Beneath Its Spell,
I've Wandered Through The Fires Of Hell.

My Life Has Not Been Quite The Same,
Since I Chose To Play This Stupid Game.
It Rules My Mind For Hours On End,
A Fortune It Has Made Me Spend.

It Has Made Me Yell, Curse And Cry,
I Hate Myself And Want To Die.
It Promises A Thing Called Par,
If I Can Hit It Straight And Far.

To Master Such A Tiny Ball,
Should Not Be Very Hard At All.
But My Desires The Ball Refuses,
And Does Exactly As It Chooses.

It Hooks And Slices, Dribbles And Dies,
And Even Disappears Before My Eyes.
Often It Will Have A Whim,
To Hit A Tree Or ! Take A Swim.

With Miles Of Grass On Which To Land,
It Finds A Tiny Patch Of Sand.
Then Has Me Offering Up My Soul,
If Only It Would Find The Hole.

It's Made Me Whimper Like A Pup,
And Swear That I Will Give It Up.
And Take To Drink To Ease My Sorrow,
But The Ball Knows ... I'll Be Back Tomorrow

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

I go to work every day with the purpose of accomplishing something.

i collect NOS arrow collars. i also wear them. daily.

i sometimes change my attire in accordance with the times of day.

i use a cigarette holder that dosent resemble a candlestick.

ive been known to fire up a cigar. dosent really matter which one.

ive recently taken to pipes. the calabash is my hero.

i appreciate any vehicle 1930 and earlier. i wish i could own one.

i make my coffee on the stovetop.

i say awesome only when people dont know what swell means.

i also saw down trees with my bare hands. uphill. in the snow :wink:

I hate nostalgia more than anything. You block out all the bad stuff and get this silly distorted picture of your past and way too many people take it as true and hence the popularity of the "back in my day, things were so much better" kind of thinking.

This.

Just curious what other nostalgic activities people partake in rather than wet shaving. :)

I like to occasionally eat a rare steak, with a baked potato drenched in butter and sour cream, and wash it down with a whiskey & water. I usually like to do this at a racetrack while watching sports on TV. I invite a few of my other pals who do not drench themselves in metro-sexual colognes, frequent tanning booths, or frost their hair with blonde highlights.

I do this once in awhile to balance off my portion of the universe where it appears that acting like a traditional male seems to be nostalgic.

Thus the reason I love visiting the B & B....

Aside from a few exceptions, like maybe the Tintin comics I read, or classic Disney movies, so often when I've revisted something I thought was so much fun or so cool as a kid I now just end up thinking - "man this is crap... how did I like this?"

I still have lingering nostalgia for a lot of things but, yes, it can really backfire. We played an old episode of "Laugh-In" for the benefit of my father-in-law and son. I wanted to show my son how funny TV could be back then. About halfway through I just wanted to walk away and forget the thing. How embarrassing.

- Chris

I occasionally read a book from the time I was little. Usually something my Dad gave me. We go bay fishing south of Houston regularly and it always brings back memories of fishing with him as a child. I watch tv shows I remember from my childhood if I happen across them. I guess the little things that remind me of simpler times, before work and the hectic pace of life took over. I think its a good thing to hold on to these things, even as we make new memories that will be nostalgic at a later time.

By "nostalgic" activities, I took the OP to mean "quaint", instead of "spending hours poring over your yearbook and stuff".

That's what I took it to mean. I have a lot of slightly old-fashioned habits, like beer and food appreciation, but about my only truly nostalgic activity is shoveling snow instead of using a snowblower. It reminds me of clearing the driveway with my mom and dad and my little kid-sized shovel (and it has the added nostalgic benefit of glossing over some of the not-fun parts of those memories).

Top Bottom