What's new

What kind of tech did my friend pick-up?

A friend of mine is getting into wet shaving after I spent a lot of time talking about how cheap it is. :biggrin1: He is not a person given to any ADs and is extremely frugal, so he will actually save money doing it. He has used the same cart handle for 20 years and usually uses one cart for about 6 months. That kind of frugal.

Well, he wanted a cheap entry point to try Wet Shaving so he wandered into an antique shop and found a plastic bag with 2 razors in it and some other stuff for $10. A few days later, he asked me if I thought he should get it and I said that for $10, you can't go wrong getting two older razors.

I stopped in a week later and everything was still in a bag. There was an Ever Ready 100 brush, a Case for Gillette Blue blades with 1 new blade in it, a case for Schick Krona Chrome with 1 new blade in it, an Ever-Ready 1912 style SE and a Gillette NDC 3 Piece Tech.

The Tech was covered in green, smelly gunk. I really didn't even want to hold it too much as it stunk so bad. There was a used blade in it and it looks like it had been put away wet and sealed in a bag for 20 years or more. Really nasty smelling. I told him I would do my best to clean it up.

I have gone through 1 baking soda bath, 3 dawn soap baths, scrubbing bubbles twice, and even a shout with enzymes soak. I've used a soft brush on a lot of it and a brass brush on the rest. It is finally turning out decent although it hasn't had it's barbicide bath yet or any polish work done. I'm trying to narrow down the information on the model and am hoping some of you can help.

Based on the Wiki, it looks exactly like an Early Tech. (38-41). The thing that has me a bit baffled is the color. It is not nickle plated one. Could it be that every bit of the nickle plating is gone? Here are pictures of what it looks like now:

$8B90A907-9860-410F-8ED3-F85DAE9D5486-2635-000004A7B46D4197.jpg
$B400A69F-BA10-4DAA-BF20-C7D59A15172B-2635-000004A7BB833511.jpg
$181E7686-CBFE-4D00-B8DF-F954A044333A-2635-000004A7CD6D6F83.jpg

As you can see on the last few pics, there is a bit of stuff I cannot get off. I have spent about 2 hours going through baths, scubbing, etc. I am now wondering if this is black paint and it is one of the military issue ones that had black handles? The brass itself (or is it copper??) is a very different color than the head plate and the handle is very rough, like it should be covered in plating or paint or something.

Anyway, just throwing this out there to see if you guys could help provide any more details.

The early production Tech with the fat handle is a very good shaver! The early ones were gold washed directly over the brass, just like the NEW razors were, so their finish hasn't held up well over time. This is a great razor for either a newbie or an experienced shaver - hard to go wrong with this one!

'D' shaped slots. A tiny little bit more aggressive than a regular Fat Tech. A great razor. Couple with an Astra SP for a great smooth shave IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I didn't know they put out Gold ones. That picture in the 3rd post looks identical to it.

Any idea what to use to get the last bits of black off? I have scrubbed and scrubbed and given it bath after bath..

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I didn't know they put out Gold ones. That picture in the 3rd post looks identical to it.

Any idea what to use to get the last bits of black off? I have scrubbed and scrubbed and given it bath after bath..

Your best option is replate , the flea bites are hard to get rid off. It is brass showing and that is part of the razor material source.

Thanks again for the info. I am pretty sure he won't want to re-plate, but I do know that if he doesn't like it, I'll be getting first crack at buying it from him.
I forgot to mention above that when he went back to get the package with everything in it, it was marked 25% off, so he got everything for $7.50.

Here is what it looks like all cleaned up. I don't have any polish, so this is just with some baths, scrubbing, and barbicide.
$61961050-C0F5-4610-B627-B2F3B6A05EED-2912-000004EE8FC2117E.jpg

I've added a VDH starter set (bowl, soap, and brush), a tube of Bigelow, and a pack of Wilkies so he will be ready to shave when I return it to him tomorrow. Excited to see how he likes it.

Top Bottom