What's new

What is your worst ever shaving purchase?

What is your most regretted shaving purchase ever?

• Razor

Votes: 47 24.9%
  • Blade

Votes: 24 12.7%
  • Soap

Votes: 66 34.9%
  • Brush

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • After Shave

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Other, add to comment

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
I bought some "shave soap" from a local soapmaker. Nice smell - teakwood and something else. But it wouldn't lather for anything. Ended up using it as a bath soap. Worked great there.

proxy.php

This lot......

For a little while, I was bidding on auctions at Proxibid..... the pictures were always terrible, but you never know, you may find a gem for super cheap.... This was not the case, I bid high because of the Wade and Butcher wedge in the photo which turned out to be junk. So, I no longer buy in auction setting ls unless I have detailed photos. All in all, two of these razors were Shave worthy, lesson learned. Ugh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Portland General Store Whiskey aftershave.
Last straw was when my mother came over and offered to take my infant for the day since I just sprayed for bugs. Needless to say it wasn't an insecticide she was smelling.

That's Funny!

Did it keep the bugs away?

I fell for a Caswell-Massey soap sale. Bought four pucks. I can't even PIF em away because I wouldn't impose them on anybody else.

proxy.php

This lot......

For a little while, I was bidding on auctions at Proxibid..... the pictures were always terrible, but you never know, you may find a gem for super cheap.... This was not the case, I bid high because of the Wade and Butcher wedge in the photo which turned out to be junk. So, I no longer buy in auction setting ls unless I have detailed photos. All in all, two of these razors were Shave worthy, lesson learned. Ugh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looked like a nice lot. No serious rust.

G.F. Trumper Eucris shaving soap in the black wooden bowl. Take my advice, don't ever buy this un-latherable garbage. Their scents (Eucris and Wild Fern) are beautiful so I only buy their cologne now. There are also Youtube reviews (Sandalwood in the one I watched after I owned the Eucris) that show how abysmally poor their soaps lather and perform.

eucris-shaving-soap-bowl1_large.jpg

G.F Trumper Rose shaving soap after the reformulation. A totally useless shaving soap with a wonderful scent. I even wrote a mail asking Trumper about it any got a really arrogant reply with a written instruction on how to make lather.

It was a couple of years ago but I still stand by:No Trumper no more! I even tend to boycott internet stores that sells Trumper soaps.

G.F Trumper Rose shaving soap after the reformulation. A totally useless shaving soap with a wonderful scent. I even wrote a mail asking Trumper about it any got a really arrogant reply with a written instruction on how to make lather.

It was a couple of years ago but I still stand by:No Trumper no more! I even tend to boycott internet stores that sells Trumper soaps.
Ya, I sent an email too and they replied that at this time their soaps were working well. Also received the "instructions". That stuff was worse than Williams. At least I can manage to create a lather and get a shave with Williams.

My entry wasn't a purchase but given to me as a gift. My wife started noticing my interest in shave gear so she got this idea to make her own shave soap for me. Really horrible stuff. Literally no glide. I told her I loved it. Made her feel good. I used it once. Never used it again. Don't tell SWMBO lol

For me it was a blind buy of Stirling Gentleman soap and aftershave. It sounded fantastic reading the description but reality didn't match what I expected. Nothing wrong with the performance, I just don't like the scent.

I gave it to my son who uses it occasionally. He is 16 and when he uses it I can't stand the smell and wish I had tossed it.

G.F. Trumper Eucris shaving soap in the black wooden bowl. Take my advice, don't ever buy this un-latherable garbage. Their scents (Eucris and Wild Fern) are beautiful so I only buy their cologne now. There are also Youtube reviews (Sandalwood in the one I watched after I owned the Eucris) that show how abysmally poor their soaps lather and perform.

View attachment 810129
Strange. I make wonderful lather with it. May be my soap is before the reformulation.

Triump & Disaster shaving cream. Made by a New Zealand company, comes in nice looking tube.

Sure turned out to be a disaster on my face. The stuff almost burned my face off. And lather was bubbly, but that could be because I had to wash it off mid lather.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My entry wasn't a purchase but given to me as a gift. My wife started noticing my interest in shave gear so she got this idea to make her own shave soap for me. Really horrible stuff. Literally no glide. I told her I loved it. Made her feel good. I used it once. Never used it again. Don't tell SWMBO lol
Wise man.

For me it was a blind buy of Stirling Gentleman soap and aftershave. It sounded fantastic reading the description but reality didn't match what I expected. Nothing wrong with the performance, I just don't like the scent.

I gave it to my son who uses it occasionally. He is 16 and when he uses it I can't stand the smell and wish I had tossed it.

Only real estate ad copy tops the creative hyperbole of shaving soap/cream descriptions.
dave

Top Bottom