What's new

What is your worst ever shaving purchase?

What is your most regretted shaving purchase ever?

• Razor

Votes: 47 24.9%
  • Blade

Votes: 24 12.7%
  • Soap

Votes: 66 34.9%
  • Brush

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • After Shave

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Other, add to comment

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
Although not a terrible razor, there are much better deals than the first DE I bought. It was a Vikings Blade Chieftain.

Ditto. Vikings Blade Chieftain was my first DE and performed so poorly that I considered giving up on wet shaving. Don’t understand why Vikings Blade cannot offer a better product.

Patti

Simpsons Peppermint shave soap. I love their brushes, but will be avoiding the soaps. Unfortunately for me it was dry, chalky and had an ingredient that irritated my skin. Great smell though.

Oh, and plus 1 for the Derby blades when I first got into DE's. Like "shaving with the edge of a brick" is how I have seen them memorably described.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned the microtouch one? 20$ weishi with dorco blades? And if you don't like that, you've got the Van der Hagen 20$ Weishi with Merkur blades. Good Lord! Knowing what I know now, what thing to lay on a guy who's never had a DE shave before!

And to go with it, in 2014 at walgreens, I got William's mug soap and a crappy brush with about 18 pig hairs in it. I didn't know any better. Never seen this stuff in a store.

The shave was so bad, I thought "man, is this what guys shaved with before multi-blades?" No wonder it died out, this is awful!"

And then...and THEN I got a ball end old type, personna lab blues and proraso white. The shave was like 20% better. Instead of massive amounts of razor burn, I had only a few terrible spots of razor burn. The shave had gone from terrible to completely mediocre.

It's no wonder so few people are doing this. It is really easy to get the wrong razor, the wrong blades, the wrong soap. If I had only proraso shave soap, a weishi and personna lab blues, I would run out to the store and get a pack of disposables asap. By the time I had DFS, I wouldn't have any epidermis left!

Has anyone mentioned the microtouch one? 20$ weishi with dorco blades? And if you don't like that, you've got the Van der Hagen 20$ Weishi with Merkur blades. Good Lord! Knowing what I know now, what thing to lay on a guy who's never had a DE shave before!

And to go with it, in 2014 at walgreens, I got William's mug soap and a crappy brush with about 18 pig hairs in it. I didn't know any better. Never seen this stuff in a store.

The shave was so bad, I thought "man, is this what guys shaved with before multi-blades?" No wonder it died out, this is awful!"

And then...and THEN I got a ball end old type, personna lab blues and proraso white. The shave was like 20% better. Instead of massive amounts of razor burn, I had only a few terrible spots of razor burn. The shave had gone from terrible to completely mediocre.

It's no wonder so few people are doing this. It is really easy to get the wrong razor, the wrong blades, the wrong soap. If I had only proraso shave soap, a weishi and personna lab blues, I would run out to the store and get a pack of disposables asap. By the time I had DFS, I wouldn't have any epidermis left!

I couldn't say it was my worst since it was the gateway drug. From the Micro Touch One--purchased at a Walgreens in 2014 just like you--came everything after. My first shave with the MT1 was enough for me to ask aloud, "Why did we stop shaving this way?" My worst razor experience would be either the Cadet open comb or a Gillette Old Type. Enough blood flowing to have even Sam Peckinpah throw up his hands and say, "Enough! Stop! Even I have standards!"

Now Dorco's aren't the worst blades I've ever used. Those would be the God knows what 5 razor packs I would sometimes buy at Family Dollar. Those razor blades were a "One and Done" affair.

Agree that Williams Mug Soap is about the most lackluster of shaving soap experiences.

Barrister and Mann Diamond shave soap. I couldn't get the lid back on the container fast enough to throw it away. Nasty smell.

The Timeless OC .68. While it wasn't the worst product I've ever purchased from a performance perspective, the price certainly pushes it to the top of the worst purchases pile. I can live with a 5$ brush that doesn't perform or a 15$ soap that irritates my face. But a 200$ razor...ouch.

'Samroca' - cheap lookalike brand from Aliexpress. Took me 5 minutes with boiling water and a few hefty taps from a spoon to get it unscrewed, and another 1 minute to drop it in the bin after waiting 3 weeks for the delivery.

I couldn't say it was my worst since it was the gateway drug. From the Micro Touch One--purchased at a Walgreens in 2014 just like you--came everything after. My first shave with the MT1 was enough for me to ask aloud, "Why did we stop shaving this way?" My worst razor experience would be either the Cadet open comb or a Gillette Old Type. Enough blood flowing to have even Sam Peckinpah throw up his hands and say, "Enough! Stop! Even I have standards!"

Now Dorco's aren't the worst blades I've ever used. Those would be the God knows what 5 razor packs I would sometimes buy at Family Dollar. Those razor blades were a "One and Done" affair.

Agree that Williams Mug Soap is about the most lackluster of shaving soap experiences.
I have also encountered worse blades than Dorco. Treet Black is among one of the worst blades on the market! Never, ever again! And as far as the MT1, I think it's my beard. It really needs medium aggression and a sharp blade if I am going to be able to shave every day.

The old type is a really tricky razor. Mine is very, very mild. I can make it work with a feather, but I have to go turtle-speed if I want it to work. Some people swear by them, but some people also like proraso. Also, those teeth and pretty darn uncomfortable. The Gillette New is a vast improvement in design, at least for me.

Needless to say, it's been a while since I had a "Wild Bunch shave" LOL!

Have a few that I brought into the hype. Some people really like the following but to me ...
GSB - horrible, tugging and not sharp. Actually had to remove from DE and use a different blade after one pass. Finished the tuck after a few months to confirm and my initial impression was correct.
Persona Israeli Reds. Better than GSB but not for me.
Some Wholly Kaw scents - especially Tempest - If anyone is curious what the smell wet dirt is from a super fund site is, well, this is it. Luckily was able to BST to someone who appreciated it - a lot.
A&E - Spartacus - just tried this am and started to irritate my face on 2nd pass. Not so impressed with the lather. Will give it another try as it might be operator error. After all, YMMV.

Top Bottom