What's new

What is your worst ever shaving purchase?

What is your most regretted shaving purchase ever?

• Razor

Votes: 47 24.9%
  • Blade

Votes: 24 12.7%
  • Soap

Votes: 66 34.9%
  • Brush

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • After Shave

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Other, add to comment

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
Proraso white with proraso white preshave. That's $20 for a really cheap soap overseas. No slickness, poor lubrication. I think it's designed to cause razor burn, then pour ungodly amounts of menthol into the wounds. Every time I used it, my face was red and on fire. I will never understand why this product gets so much love. It is by far the worse soap I have ever used. And that preshave is just menthol napalm. "For sensitive skin", yeah.

I made the same mistake with a 100 pack of Sharp Stainless blades from Amazon. They are very uncomfortable to shave with. Very rough.

Don't give up. I tried the Derby in a mild razor and noticed an improvement. I got this idea from DESteve on the Merkur thread. Conventional wisdom was to use a mild blade in an aggressive razor. I found this to be the wrong direction. I might be able to use Derby's
MM879

Purchased a few batches of razors that needed restoration and honing... Never found the time for most of it and ended up spending a lot more money on honing supplies that were ill used also.

Hi,

There has been little that I've tried over the years that I actively disliked. From the Veg, (love it) to the $1 shave razor and blades. There has been some meh stuff - Creamo and a VDH boar brush that come to mind.

But there are two items that I have regretted buying.

Feather DE blades. I know many here swear by them. I swear at them. I'd rather use a 4" grinder on my face to shave with. They really drove home the YMMV aspect.

An Omega S-brush may be the worst brush I have owned. Worse than a couple no-name Chinese boars I have. Absolutely no way to splay it no matter how hard I push on it. And it simply won't paint either. Makes me really sad, because I want a boar like synthetic. And the S-brush is quite popular with many users here.

Luckily for me $1.89 for a puck of Williams, no matter what I did, I couldn’t get it to work, my face broke out and I pitched it after that. I think I got 10 shaves or less out of it.

Don't give up. I tried the Derby in a mild razor and noticed an improvement. I got this idea from DESteve on the Merkur thread. Conventional wisdom was to use a mild blade in an aggressive razor. I found this to be the wrong direction. I might be able to use Derby's
MM879
I like an aggressive blade in a mild razor. Closer more comfortable shaves. An aggressive blade makes even a cheap razor shave better.

I like an aggressive blade in a mild razor. Closer more comfortable shaves. An aggressive blade makes even a cheap razor shave better.
Yes, I've heard that, but I'm seeing the opposite right now. Seeing is believing. Can't wait to try the new process on other problem children.
MM879

I got a Schick type vintage safety-razor handle once (a.k.a. takes a single removable typically sized razor blade, but that blade must be one-edged) and really hated it when I finally got it to work. The part that "rubs" against your skin when you're shaving is not "domed" like a typical Gillette Ranger t-shape. So it doesn't "rub" right.

Nuavia Verde. Expensive and apart from smelling good, performance is meh. Plus a convoluted delivery to me meant my friend's dad accepted the parcel and proceeded to use it for a good month till he owned up to forgetting there was a parcel coming addressed to him to pass to me via his daughter. Cue another month of waiting for a fresh puck. To be finally let down on its arrival. Didn't help I dropped the ceramic lid due to a soapy hand early on too. Basically user error turned me against this soap

Nuavia Verde. Expensive and apart from smelling good, performance is meh. Plus a convoluted delivery to me meant my friend's dad accepted the parcel and proceeded to use it for a good month till he owned up to forgetting there was a parcel coming addressed to him to pass to me via his daughter. Cue another month of waiting for a fresh puck. To be finally let down on its arrival. Didn't help I dropped the ceramic lid due to a soapy hand early on too. Basically user error turned me against this soap
He used your soap?!! What did he just think God sent it to him to enjoy at his leisure? I would be so mad!!!

I am sorry to say, Omega S-brush. It is supposed to be imitation of unbroken boar. It is a bad imitation. Even a brand new boar, if you soak it, it splays. The S-brush only splays on the chin or the cheek bone. Was it a complete waste? No, because i found out that it can be used for cleaning dust out of electronics and such.

Vi-John shave cream, from India, in the "Icy Mint" scent. The scent is indescribable, being neither minty or icy. The scent is something like chlorophyll from crushed leaves. Although the scent is yucky to my
20181208_185709.jpg
nose, the lather that it whips up into is amazing so I'm still using it up. Not all that bad for a $3 investment.

Top Bottom