What's new

What is your goal blade stash?

I have a few thousand. I do admit I sometimes buy blades just to have something new to test out, and since ordering 100 from Amazon Prime isn't much more expensive than ordering a tuck from some of the online stores ( adding in shipping ) I've been known to order 100 just because.

That would generally describe me as well. Other than ordering sample packs of a couple blades each, it makes more sense economically to order in bulk packages of 100, mostly from Amazon.

As such, I have thirty types of blades that I have ordered in minimum quantities of 100. Some of these, I have in multiples of 100.

I gave up on Amazon Prime when the subscription went north of $100. But I still get free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

At this point, I believe it is safe to say that the majority of my bulk purchases are behind me. However, I will still throw in a sleeve or card of blades now and then to make a minimum order or when there is an attractive sale.

At this point, I have most of the blades I want. Though I will continue to buy a few more bulk packs here and there (for no particular reason).

I might explore some of the single edge options thus upcoming year?

Maybe another razor or two?

My goal stash isn't a single number, per se, but more so a level of comfort for a changing world. Eventually, manufacturers will start charging higher prices than they are now. I want a stash to get ahead of that. I'm also a bit concerned that manufacturers may force us into their higher priced cartridges either by stopping imports of DE blades into the US market, slowing down or ceasing production of DE blades, or making prices of DE blades too cumbersome to bother with, which will assimilate us into their plans of plastic fantastic hair tugging goodness.

I have several years of blades, all by choice of course, but also with shipping, it was actually cheaper for me to buy 100 at time instead of small tucks here and there. If I wanted to try a blade, I could pay $10 with shipping for 100 or about the same for a few tucks.

That would generally describe me as well. Other than ordering sample packs of a couple blades each, it makes more sense economically to order in bulk packages of 100, mostly from Amazon.

As such, I have thirty types of blades that I have ordered in minimum quantities of 100. Some of these, I have in multiples of 100.

I gave up on Amazon Prime when the subscription went north of $100. But I still get free shipping on orders of $25 or more.

At this point, I believe it is safe to say that the majority of my bulk purchases are behind me. However, I will still throw in a sleeve or card of blades now and then to make a minimum order or when there is an attractive sale.

At this point, I have most of the blades I want. Though I will continue to buy a few more bulk packs here and there (for no particular reason).

I might explore some of the single edge options thus upcoming year?

Maybe another razor or two?
You sound exactly like me.

Most of my blade purchases are from Amazon and for the same reasons... 100 blades shipped from Amazon is cheap and often gets you to free or next day shipping with other items.

Plus it is fun to try new brands of blades (for no particular reason! 🤪). I have just over 40 different types/brands in quantities of 100 or more.

Plus it is fun to try new brands of blades (for no particular reason! 🤪). I have just over 40 different types/brands in quantities of 100 or more.

Yes, it is...

Though I have long since reached the point where I would consider myself "flush", I will still continue to satisfy my curiosity.

Ten or Fifteen dollars here and there is not going to have a significant impact on my lifestyle!

Why get to like products and then see them suddenly removed from the marketplace? Makes no sense?

Shortly after making the above post, I came across a new thread where the King C. Gillette blades are now being manufactured in China.

This just serves to illustrate my point. A great many members are of the opinion that Gillette PPI manufactured blades are of generally high quality. It seems that there is a strong possibility of these PPI Gillette blades going away forever.

As a note, there is currently a $3 off discount coupon available for this product on Amazon, one coupon per-order.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nothing special here...I have a few thousand DE blades--mostly Feathers but also Indian Black 7 O'Clocks and various Russian blades like Gillette Yellows, Iridiums and Polsilvers. Also about 1000 Chinese Schicks and about 600 Gem blades from a group buy many years ago. I've reached my goal but that doesn't keep me from buying another 100-200 every now and then. I realize now that I have enough blades to last until I'm 130, at which time I'll restock.

My goal is to see how long my inventory of 68 Bic Chrome Platinum blades will last. I am averaging 9.1 shaves per blade, so if my math is correct, I have about 1.7 years of shaves coming.

68 * 9.1 = 618 shaves. 618 / 366.25 (2024 is a leap year) = 1.68 years. Well into the end of 2024 or early 2025.

Lol, I am still working off the original sampler I bought in 2016. Turns out I get far more shaves per blade than most people (average is around 70 at the moment, and the highest number is 162). Along the way I bought plenty of blades 100 at a time, so I have something like 2500 blades, and this stash should last me at least four centuries.

Needless to say, I get tempted once in a while to buy some other brands to try, but look at how few I use and wait. Last purchase was some Wizamet Iridium Supers, might get a chance to try them early next year when I use up the blades I currently have in use.

I don't actually intend to boycott Russian made blades, but I probably won't every buy any more either.

Now if I can just learn not to buy razors.....

My goal is to see how long my inventory of 68 Bic Chrome Platinum blades will last. I am averaging 9.1 shaves per blade, so if my math is correct, I have about 1.7 years of shaves coming.

68 * 9.1 = 618 shaves. 618 / 366.25 (2024 is a leap year) = 1.68 years. Well into the end of 2024 or early 2025.
I got 80 blades myself last week but haven't tried them yet. Ironically I have been using disposable Bic metal where one of them gives me between 10 to 14 shaves.

My stash of De blade has grown up to 400 since I started this post and I am using disposable razors and ac blades meanwhile.

Don't have a goal (which is good since I have enough to last me a few centuries) but I did just buy some Tiger Platinums just for fun. Cost about the same as going out for drinks one night, and I skipped Friday this week, lol.

Well, my dear old grandfather left me maybe 5000 blades marked "Personna 74" in the trunk of a Lincoln Continental from the early 70s. I've been doing the "one and done" thing with these old things, shave and discard. You know the deal. Frugality is for Third World type places. And besides Paul Revere and the Raiders, what good thing can possibly come from the 1970s?

I'd love to trade all these things for a bunch of those blades from China that have Bruce Lee on the wrapper. How cool is that? Or a bunch of those disposable Gillette "Good News" plastic, disposable razors.

[Just kidding, folks]

I’ve around 350 blades, around 100 each of King C Gillette*, Bolzano and Wisamet, all of which work well for me, plus some odd tucks of stuff that I’ve wanted to sample. That feels like a reasonable stash and should do me for about the next 4-5 years.

*These were discontinued and on a huge markdown at CVS earlier this year, so I cleaned out several locations near me.

I just did a quick inventory and it turns out that I have almost 9000 blades. 😱 And that doesn’t include GEM or SE blades of which I have a few hundred.

So let’s just say that I have far exceeded any remotely reasonable blade stash target any normal person should have.

If I use an average of 150 blades a year, I have enough blades to last me until I am at least 114. So I have that going for me… which is nice. 👍

Top Bottom