What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

I have been using a LC and a SC since last few weeks. I have been using both heads on the same handle, same soap and same blade. I find them both very smooth and forgiving but SC is a bit more forgiving whenever I'm not paying attention or carelessly shaving in a hurry. They both are equally efficient for me. The SC has become my most favorite vintage Gillette.

What I have tested so far:

NEW RFB: I used one for the first time today. It was milder than I expected, but efficient and smooth. Not a particularly close shave on my neck as I only go wtg, but it would make a good daily shaver.

NEW Flat Bottom: a bit more aggressive than the RFB for me and lacked smoothness, I don't like it that much, so my least favorite NEW.

NEW Deluxe: Slightly more aggressive than the FB, but definitely smoother. Good for mowing down longer stubble and getting a very close shave. I like it a lot, but it's maybe a bit aggressive for me to use as a daily shaver.

At the moment it's between the RFB and Deluxe, with the Deluxe in the lead, but also depending on the situation and what kind of shave I'm looking for. I should have a SC and LC within the next few weeks to compare.

What I have tested so far:

NEW RFB: I used one for the first time today. It was milder than I expected, but efficient and smooth. Not a particularly close shave on my neck as I only go wtg, but it would make a good daily shaver.

NEW Flat Bottom: a bit more aggressive than the RFB for me and lacked smoothness, I don't like it that much, so my least favorite NEW.

NEW Deluxe: Slightly more aggressive than the FB, but definitely smoother. Good for mowing down longer stubble and getting a very close shave. I like it a lot, but it's maybe a bit aggressive for me to use as a daily shaver.

At the moment it's between the RFB and Deluxe, with the Deluxe in the lead, but also depending on the situation and what kind of shave I'm looking for. I should have a SC and LC within the next few weeks to compare.

YMMV, but my experience is similar to yours.

I have a US style long comb NEW that is 'Made In England'. Can anyone please tell me if the 'Made In USA' is the same?
Should be, but IME it isn't. The English version is slightly smoother, and the American is slightly more efficient. I prefer the latter, but keep in mind that this is just my opinion based on the examples I've used. YMMV.

Should be, but IME it isn't. The English version is slightly smoother, and the American is slightly more efficient. I prefer the latter, but keep in mind that this is just my opinion based on the examples I've used. YMMV.
Thank you :) i guess i need a USA version aswell at some point. I already have the Deluxe, RFB, English FB, US LC and find them all different. Im finding that my favourite is the English FB as its so smooth and has a good efficiency. The US style LC feels very similar to that though.

Thank you :) i guess i need a USA version aswell at some point. I already have the Deluxe, RFB, English FB, US LC and find them all different. Im finding that my favourite is the English FB as its so smooth and has a good efficiency. The US style LC feels very similar to that though.
Yes, they're all great. My first NEW was a British FB and I still love it, even though I like the more aggressive versions such as the Deluxe a bit better. [emoji106]

Yes, they're all great. My first NEW was a British FB and I still love it, even though I like the more aggressive versions such as the Deluxe a bit better. [emoji106]
I used to prefer my more aggressive versions, but now the smoothness of my English FB has won me over. Iv got a SC coming soon aswell though!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Wow I have revisited my 2 Deluxe razors and I can't believe the shaves from both AMAZING!!!!!! Edgar is there any difference with the round cut Deluxe ?

The NEW Deluxe is awesome, but don't say anything to Edgar (he will never let me hear the end of it).
I'm not sure what you mean by a "round cut." Do you have a picture? Possibly from Mr. Razor?

I'm guessing that they are pretty hard to find. Does anyone out there have one?
They're not that hard to find. At least one comes up every week or so on the big auction site. I have 4 (a 3-piece, 2 Criterion types, and a Big Boy), and have helped 3 people buy one in the past few months. They're out there.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
They're not that hard to find. At least one comes up every week or so on the big auction site. I have 4 (a 3-piece, 2 Criterion types, and a Big Boy), and have helped 3 people buy one in the past few months. They're out there.

I have one 15mm and one 17mm. I like the 3 piece best . What I'm looking for is one with rounded cut outs on the teeth in a 3 piece . If it exists it would be made in England.
lloydrm posted a 2 piece example of one that just sold on the bay. One of those sold recently http://www.ebay.com/itm/272353133267...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have one 15mm and one 17mm. I like the 3 piece best . What I'm looking for is one with rounded cut outs on the teeth in a 3 piece
Oh crap ... now I understand, and have yet another razor to buy. BTW I prefer my beat-up 15mm 3-piece; one of the best razors I own.

I have one 15mm and one 17mm. I like the 3 piece best . What I'm looking for is one with rounded cut outs on the teeth in a 3 piece . If it exists it would be made in England.
lloydrm posted a 2 piece example of one that just sold on the bay. One of those sold recently http://www.ebay.com/itm/272353133267...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That's a 14 teeth Deluxe version. I have two British Deluxe razors (a 3 piece seen here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/461151-Me-new-razor and a 2-piece) Both are silver plated and both are 13 teeth count head. Don't know when Gillette changed that but the 14 teeth version seems the earlier one - a transition from NI to NEW head design. Edgar would know, I guess... Edgar?! :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom