What's new

What is your facial prep prior to edge touching face?

A few shots of Scotch whisky to stop my hands from shaking.

Sounds like an idea! However, uisge bheath (whisky - water of life in the Gaelic) is my preferred drug of choice and as much as a wee dram whilst shaving sounds appealing, the thought of my 12 year old single malt tasting like Taylors of Old Bond Street is not doing justice to a fine old drop. Probably about on par with mixing whisky with coke or whatever.

Before, yes! After, definitely.

slainte bhath

Andrew

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Shower. Lather. Shave. No drying time in between, no towel until after the shave. Only rarely do I shave without showering first. Nothing hydrates whiskers like 10 minutes in a nice steamy shower.

I have given up doing pre-shave as it doesn't seem to make any difference,
I guess my whiskers must be getting soft in my old age.

I almost never shave if I don’t shower. So I strop the razor, shower, start blooming soap and soaking brush as i dry off/put on shorts/brush teeth/apply deodorant. Then lather and shave.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Not an SR shaver, but given the goose and the gander and all . . .
  1. Wake-up rinse with cold water
  2. Wet face with lots of hot water, drenching my beard by rubbing it in
  3. Rub in a thin layer of Noxzema
  4. Re-wet (hot) again (without rinsing off the Noxzema) and wait 2-3 minutes
  5. Re-wet (hot)
  6. Lather up
  7. Get to work

Thereafter, I re-wet with cold water between passes. I also do my final rinses with cold water.

Then, again, I sometimes just lather up and go.

Strop razor, soak brush, shower where I wash whiskers with soap to de-oil and allow water to saturate the hair. Don't know if it matters, but it's what I've always done. Apply brush to soap and face lather. Commence shaving. It's just shaving, not music theory.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I know that we all have different faces and prepare to suit our needs and desires, but what is your facial prep prior to actually shaving? I am interested in what others do. Mine is:
  1. Was whole of face with hot water and bath soap.
  2. Rinse face with water to remove all traces of bath soap.
  3. Dry face with towel, except where I am going to shave.
  4. Wet save area some more with shave brush that has been dipped in cold water.
  5. (I use a shaving soap stick and face lather.) Dip tip of shave stick in water and apply soap to face.
  6. Lather soap on face.
  7. Strop razor on clean leather strop about 50-60 laps.
  8. Use shaving brush to add water to face lather until I achieve my desired hydration etc.
  9. Commence shaving.
Much the same except i lather Palmolive cream on top of Williams shave soap (for some unknown reasons, this makes an exceptional lather). All in all, my routine is boringly simple and quick.

Top Bottom