What's new

What is your best boar brush?

I am in love with my Omega 11126 and the Omega 10098! My Semogue 1305 performs well, but I just love how the Omega brushes perform. I'm currently using an Omega 50014 travel brush to get it ready for holiday travel, and it is performing grandly. The first shave it lost five or six bristles, and the second time only one or two. This last shave it didn't drop a single one, and I'm hoping it stays that way. I guess that it being so densely packed it is bound to happen, so I'm not really concerned.

I love my boar brushes more than the badger brushes, but I wouldn't get rid of a single brush I own - except for the GBS Pure Badger travel shaving brush that I'm gifting to my best friend so he has a travel brush. Hopefully it will start him off well, and he can pick up a better one if he fancies the idea of a travel brush.
My semogue 1305 is all floppy now and won't lather. Like at all. It's so weird. It won't splay right, doesn't turn soap into lather just makes it disappear and watery. I know how to lather and everything but it has stopped working sadly. I am gonna keep the handle and reknot it with another boar knot. Maybe I damaged the lower bristles when I was blow drying it to break it in. I am totally gonna get an Omega brush now, and save the semogue for the handle and pop maybe a mixed knot in it.

Zenith 28 x 55mm in the aluminum handle. Just a great knot with perfect dimensions, even though I don't use boar brushes, very often.

Omega 40033 it’s nice and stiff for face lathering and gives a great invigorating morning scrub. It’s my stiffest brush but really comfortable right out of the box, I’ve used it every day for the past 3 months.

My semogue 1305 is all floppy now and won't lather. Like at all. It's so weird. It won't splay right, doesn't turn soap into lather just makes it disappear and watery. I know how to lather and everything but it has stopped working sadly. I am gonna keep the handle and reknot it with another boar knot. Maybe I damaged the lower bristles when I was blow drying it to break it in. I am totally gonna get an Omega brush now, and save the semogue for the handle and pop maybe a mixed knot in it.

Man, I've not posted here in quite a while! Good to be back though, and I hope my post helped you out!

I've found that there's no real reason to rush the breaking in of new brushes, honestly. Watching the evolution of it from the first shave onward is one of my favorite parts, actually. Just let nature take its course, and enjoy the process!

I still fancy my boar brushes over the badger brushes that I own, and every one of them is just as wonderful as they were when I finally broke them in. Lately I've been using my Semogue brushes for my shaves, and I'm torn between my Semogue 830 and the 1800 for my shave today.

There is an Omega 40033 that I picked up for just a few dollars this past Black Friday sale at Maggard Razors, and I really like it for face shaving but the handle really needs some revision in terms of weight and material (which I would think many would agree with that have and use this brush as it is too light).

If you would like a suggestion for your Semogue 1305, try cleaning it There are several threads here that describe the process, and if you have hard water, this could be part of the problem with performance.

Please let me know how things turn out for you, and if the advice on the Semogue 1305 helps! Best of luck to you!

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images___57.jpg
Omega 10810. Perfect backbone, face feel and holds a good amount of lather.

My semogue 1305 is all floppy now and won't lather. Like at all. It's so weird. It won't splay right, doesn't turn soap into lather just makes it disappear and watery. I know how to lather and everything but it has stopped working sadly.

Mine has just started doing this! It's like a brand new brush again... can only get one decent pass now. Is there anything I can do to save it?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It was formerly the SOC - which is still the best boar for the $$ - but my current favorite bounces between the Semogue TSN LE and the Thater.

Mine's a tossup between three of them.

This vintage-ish mystery brush, made in West Germany.

The Omega 10086 travel brush, with an 18 mm knot
proxy.php

Finally, a Semogue 620, but mostly for the handle.
proxy.php

Do not be fooled by the bulb shape of the new knot. It very quickly bouffes out to more of a fan shape.

Omega 11126. A $20 brush which holds its own against others 10 times (yes...10x, like Paladin or Simpson) the price.

Top Bottom