What's new

What is the Tabac of shaving creams?

OK, so it seems that most folks are jut posting up theor favorite cream of choice. It does not appear that there is a single "must have" cream, does it?

the answer to your question is:

Proraso
Musgo
Speick

however, im with Sarephim and Matthew that if your looking to stear clear of soaps you can just forget that idea right out of the gate!

The one that everyone should try at least once?
The Tabac of shaving creams would be a high performing, inexpensive cream with a funky smell. Face it, those are the performance characteristics of Tabac. :biggrin:

I'd nominate TOBS Avocado or Speick for the honors, as both meet all 3 criteria. Proraso also, as it has that wet dog smell. I might also include Irisch Moos.

SMN? Too pricey. Same goes for Pens, GFT, you get the idea. And Musgo, oddly, does not smell weird enough to be considered the Tabac of shaving cream. :biggrin:

Last edited:
+1 for the La Toja creams, my goodness they just may be the best performing creams out there and they're super inexpensive. check out Leon's shop "the vintage scent"

La Toja is good for those who enjoy their lathers so thick and dense you can put a spoon in them without it falling over. It is simply too much for me to enjoy it much, and the fragrance is ... weird. (La Toja soap is better to my nose, but still a bit strange.)

The Tabac of shaving creams... Easy to use, reasonably priced, always satisfactory results, good fragrance. Any three of TOBS, TBS (old fruity or fresh cucumbery) or Musgo, methinks. Personally I'd vote for the first two as the yardstick: they're quite similar, but TBS is more readily obtained. Musgo is also excellent, but is a bit thirstier than most creams, and the lanolin can cause problems for some.

La Toja is good for those who enjoy their lathers so thick and dense you can put a spoon in them without it falling over. It is simply too much for me to enjoy it much, and the fragrance is ... weird. (La Toja soap is better to my nose, but still a bit strange.)

The Tabac of shaving creams... Easy to use, reasonably priced, always satisfactory results, good fragrance. Any three of TOBS, TBS (old fruity or fresh cucumbery) or Musgo, methinks. Personally I'd vote for the first two as the yardstick: they're quite similar, but TBS is more readily obtained. Musgo is also excellent, but is a bit thirstier than most creams, and the lanolin can cause problems for some.

what is TBS?

Gentlemen,

I have used scores of shave soaps and creams, but my finger always points to one particular shave cream: Rose by Taylor of Old Bond Street.

Regards,

Obelit

SMN = Shave my Nose. I like that.

I did see the SNM = Santa Maria Novella at a local shop here in Houston (Kuhle Lindscombe) and it was well north of $50.00 for the jar. Hey, might make a great stocking stuffer, the season for which starts in just over a month.

Top Bottom