What's new

What is the oldest Straight anyone is using to shave with?

I am curious to know if anyone is using some seriously old blades to shave with.

Are there any "holy grail" antiques?

I use a number of vintage blades. I posted some pics of some in this forum under "Vintage Random Razors" part one ane two in this forum. The oldest is from 1774 ish according to the documentation I got from the family I bought it from. The blade is an odd angle so I use it rarely. It is slow as I have to change all positions. I do use razors from 1800 to 1860 often and love the heavy meat cleaver wedges from the timeframe around the Civil War. 8/8". Unfortunately it's difficult to find one with a half decent blade and they tend to go for big bucks. If you decide to go this way get good at honing. Most have seen better days but they can be brought back.

1774 beats me!

the oldest I have is a pre 1850 tally ho

Edit: hey yeti - How about a pic of your old razor?

Last edited:
There are pics of a few including great grandpa on page three of this forum titled "historical random razors". Two posts on the subject. pics on one.

I've got a Japanese razor which is allegedly from the the 1600's.... frankly though, the think looks like it's prehistoric. :lol:

Yeti, thanks for your previous post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your razors. I certainly welcome any pictures of the 1600's razor.

Well I use it every once in a while. As I stated in the article the angle is odd so I have to stop and think before making a stroke. There are no gimps and the tail is pretty much nonexistent. I spent a lot of time honing the blade. It has serious hone wear from being around for a couple hundred years. Finally I taped the upper back and guessed at the original slant to the edge itself.The triangular shape it typical of that time. This type was the first to use the modern steel process loosely speaking. I like using them and thinking about the time when they were new and being used the first time. I have about 30 razors and none are for show only. About half are pre 1860.

I bought one from Gugi that is 175 years old. He said he uses it and it is shave ready so i cant wait.

I would like to purchase more of the oldies so If you sir (yeti) ever deside to part with one or 2 of your pre 1800 babies let me know. I will use them.

Top Bottom