What's new

What is the iciest of menthol soaps/creams that you have tried?

Stirling Glacial then Vostok...I personally can't tell much difference between the two as far as chill is concerned, but I give Stirling the nod because of the stronger scents and quality of lather.

I have Stirling Glacial and QCS Vostok and the Stirling is much colder. On the second pass with the Glacial the brush feels like you're putting an ice cube on your face. Really nice on a hot Arizona day.

You can also try Yeti Snot and I believe Synergy has one as well now.

Guys, thank you so much! It looks like more people are going with Vostok and Stirling's Glacial line. I am looking forward to trying these soaps. For those of you who have used Vostok, did you go with the cream or soap version? I suppose they both have the same amount of menthol but I wondered if it was more noticeable depending on the ingredients surrounding it. Maybe I will order a sample of each version :) Either way, I appreciate all the help y'all have given me here!

Guys, thank you so much! It looks like more people are going with Vostok and Stirling's Glacial line. I am looking forward to trying these soaps. For those of you who have used Vostok, did you go with the cream or soap version? I suppose they both have the same amount of menthol but I wondered if it was more noticeable depending on the ingredients surrounding it. Maybe I will order a sample of each version :) Either way, I appreciate all the help y'all have given me here!
Cream for me. I read in a review somewhere that the cream is better than the soap. The QCS Vostok cream is more like a croap.

Go with the Cream as it really is just a soft soap. Get a sample of the Ice Key Lime as it is Vostok with Key Lime scent. Enjoy.

I purchased a puck of the Vostok hard soap a week ago; out of the first three (or four?) lathers I've done with it, only one has been a good lather (the only one I've done with my badger, rather than my boars). You really have to load the hell outta it (as in, like 2 minutes of loading), and I'd recommend soaking the puck first, too. Vostok is still a work in progress for me, but that one good lather was very good (although not excellent). It *is* cold as all get out, so that aspect of it is quite pleasing. All that said, if I could turn back time, I would get the cream (croap) rather than the hard puck.

I purchased a puck of the Vostok hard soap a week ago; out of the first three (or four?) lathers I've done with it, only one has been a good lather (the only one I've done with my badger, rather than my boars). You really have to load the hell outta it (as in, like 2 minutes of loading), and I'd recommend soaking the puck first, too. Vostok is still a work in progress for me, but that one good lather was very good (although not excellent). It *is* cold as all get out, so that aspect of it is quite pleasing. All that said, if I could turn back time, I would get the cream (croap) rather than the hard puck.

All of this stuff is so YMMV but as a counterpoint to this, I'm 3017'ing the Vostok hard soap and I've had nothing but exceptional lather each and every shave apart from 1 day and that was due to a pre shave not the Vostok. I've used 3 different badgers and the SOC boar so far. The only one I've had to really focus on was the chubby 2 but that's typical for me. I don't use it as much as my other brushes so the gallon of water it holds in that massive knot always takes me a shave or two to adjust to. I soak the puck and brush while I shower. 20-30 seconds of loading a relatively dry brush. Splash enough water on my face to wash off the preshave I put on and face lather. I'll occasionally dip the brush on the 2nd pass, but most of the time not. Enough lather for 2 passes + a comfort lather at the end. It is getting easier to load as I go along which is typical of all hard soaps - every day use seems to make loading easier- so keep at it.

I've never used the cream/soap/croap option so I don't know if those are better. Next QCS I get I'm going that way just to see.

If,you go with QCS go with their creams as others have mentioned its a croap. I get better lather from their creams which are top notch.

Top Bottom